Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Most of the people I know who are both "Car Guys" and SUV drivers, absolutely insist upon calling their SUV a "Truck".

I think it makes them feel better about the whole Soccer-Mom stigma attaching to things like the Ford Explorer, and I tend not to call people on it as long as the vehicle in question is actually Truck-based.

I agree.

Not all SUVs are trucks. To me a truck has a body-on-frame design; most SUVs today are unibody construction with lightweight independent suspensions built for comfort, not hauling.

Most of the people I know who are both "Car Guys" and SUV drivers, absolutely insist upon calling their SUV a "Truck".

I think it makes them feel better about the whole Soccer-Mom stigma attaching to things like the Ford Explorer, and I tend not to call people on it as long as the vehicle in question is actually Truck-based.

Until MY2002, the Ford Explorer WAS based on a truck. It was on the Ranger chassis; earlier models shared bodywork and doors with the Ranger. After that it got it's own chassis, but it was still body-on-frame and was built using truck construction. The new model is a car that's pretending to be a truck.

My Pathfinder is a truck. It's literally a D21 Hardbody underneath and from the front bumper of the body back to the B-pillar. The next model was a car pretending to be a truck (it's called the R50 by Nissan, but everyone calls them caR50s); then they put it on the Nissan F-Alpha chassis for the following one and it became a truck again.

Some SUVs actually are trucks.

Last edited:

Mine gets called by name, it's not a car or a truck, it's a Land Rover. However, since it's essentially a pickup with a lid on it would class as a truck.

Mine gets called by name, it's not a car or a truck, it's a Land Rover. However, since it's essentially a pickup with a lid on it would class as a truck.

yours is without a doubt a truck by these standards. my dad always says how he wants another truck, and what he means by this is a defender.

The funny thing about this debate about what constitutes a truck, from all definitions given the Escape - which sparked the whole thing - doesn't fit any of them.

I know, I was just finding it amusing that people are arguing what is a truck, prompted by a vehicle which is, in no way, a truck.

I'm just amused by the tangled web of tangents.

Last edited:

Pictured: A truck.

Last edited:
Driving into the rut is the easy part. It's the driving out that matters. :p

Last edited:
I call my Disco a truck. It's a body on frame designed to haul and go off road.

Pictured: A truck.

Unless it has a bed(flatbed counts too), it is not a truck, it is a station wagon. I owned two full size Blazers and a full size van, I never called them trucks. I even owned a S-10 and it was called a runt-truck.

Not sure, because we didn't try. I can tell you that it had less body flex than my Cherokee Sport, which flexed so much I rubbed the paint off the edges of the doors.

Hey, the Mazda CX-9 won the North American Truck of the Year award. Which I found laughable.

I feel the same way about the Subaru Outback getting SUV of the year.