Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

MG_Rover_Tempest_Prototype_001.jpg

I just saw this for the first time. Wow.

My car has decided that it would like to break constantly in inexpensive ways, so trading it in is not financially a good idea but it is always being fixed and I am suffering

For reference it is a retro version of the 3000.

800px-%2759_Austin-Healey_3000_%28Orange_Julep%29.JPG

It looks like it is smiling.

Things learned today:
-Drifting while listening to the national anthem (came up on the radio randomly) is something that every man should experience at least once
-How to do axial donuts with FWD. And no, not in reverse.
-The Accord is actually somewhat fun in rally mode

Things learned today:
-Drifting while listening to the national anthem (came up on the radio randomly) is something that every man should experience at least once
-How to do axial donuts with FWD. And no, not in reverse.
-The Accord is actually somewhat fun in rally mode

thursday is going to be awesome.

thursday is going to be awesome.
I'm going to UMass for the weekend on Thursday so I will basically have to drift all the way out there :lol:
That reminds me of a funny story actually. I was driving home from Amherst for spring break a few years ago in a major snowstorm. On the backroads some smart fella in a Ranger decided that its a wonderful idea to tailgate me. So I did what any cocky douchebag that likes cars would - started weaving and sliding the ass-end of the ol' Maxima around. The dude stopped as soon as I started doing that and I never saw him again.

thing is, i'm a bit wary of sliding unnecessarily because i went in to a nice little snowbank this morning.

That's why you have reverse. :p

it was cold enough that it was clearly not. no sweet smell, no rough feel.... just cold inside and the temp gauge up. i swear. well, it's fixed now.

There was no smell because your coolant was gone. And it was overheating, as there was no coolant to dissipate the heat. A water cooled engine needs the water/coolant mix there all the time or you will cause damage eventually. No heat is one of the first indications of a blown headgasket, right after the high temp indication.

MG_Rover_Tempest_Prototype_001.jpg

I just saw this for the first time. Wow.

Is that a re body of a Sky/Solstice?

Last edited:
It was an MG-Rover concept design. The Tempest. Obviously we won't be seeing it in the flesh. :(

Not to derail the conversation from the conversation derailment that we finally got away from, but I was just in Kragen/AutoZone/whatever the hell it was to buy a headlight, and just for shits and giggles I looked to see how many cars I was around that used the same bulbs. I checked my girlfriends car, my car, my boss's car, and then I checked for my brother's Escape. I couldn't find it. Turns out it was in the "Ford - Trucks" section. :tease:

My car has decided that it would like to break constantly in inexpensive ways, so trading it in is not financially a good idea but it is always being fixed and I am suffering

Welcome to my world, Hi! :p

Welcome to my world, Hi! :p

Has your car started the dangerous cheap malfunctions yet? Turns out due to a crap design flaw in hose placement, my car's hinge will chop it's wiper fluid hose in half when you close the hood. :|
I found this out on the highway when my windshield got covered in salt and I tried to clear it and instead it just streaked and became worse.
This of course was a no money fix that required adjusting the hose, but I almost crashed because of it and missed my class in the time it took to get to safety, clear it off, and go back home to figure out wtf went wrong.

Has your car started the dangerous cheap malfunctions yet? Turns out due to a crap design flaw in hose placement, my car's hinge will chop it's wiper fluid hose in half when you close the hood. :|
I found this out on the highway when my windshield got covered in salt and I tried to clear it and instead it just streaked and became worse.
This of course was a no money fix that required adjusting the hose, but I almost crashed because of it and missed my class in the time it took to get to safety, clear it off, and go back home to figure out wtf went wrong.

No not yet, just trim deciding to shed itself from the interior, a coolant leak I need to trace and a transmission that sometimes refuses to shift into the next gear...i guess the last one can be dangerious...i nearly got stuck in a cattle shoot because of me having to wring the little engine's neck out to like 4000 RPM because the car wouldn't shift to the next gear.

It was an MG-Rover concept design. The Tempest. Obviously we won't be seeing it in the flesh. :(

That would be quite easy for a small to medium car maker to take on now, somehow it fits in perfectly with current designs. The way it sits reminds me of the Corvette Z06, but I think the 'Vettes wheelbase would be too short.

That would be quite easy for a small to medium car maker to take on now, somehow it fits in perfectly with current designs. The way it sits reminds me of the Corvette Z06, but I think the 'Vettes wheelbase would be too short.

According to Wiki, the Corvette's wheelbase is actually over a foot longer (105 inches vs. 92 inches) than the classic 3000.

According to Wiki, the Corvette's wheelbase is actually over a foot longer (105 inches vs. 92 inches) than the classic 3000.

It was designed around XPower SV running gear, which has a wheelbase 15mm shorter than the C6. I think those 15mm can be easily compensated somewhere.

Well, the BMW Z4 has almost exactly that wheelbase (98 inches, which is ~15 cm shorter than the 'Vette). The Miata does have the same wheelbase as the original 3000.