Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

So with the death of the S2000 successor pretty much confirmed, my next car choice seems to be getting smaller. Nissan 370z or the Hyundai Genesis coupe (if it's not rubbish). Is there anything else in that class (new) that would be worth looking at?

There's the new Camaro, the slightly updated Mustang, and the Challenger (if you're into burnouts).

There's the new Camaro, the slightly updated Mustang, and the Challenger (if you're into burnouts).

There's an R/T Challenger in town at the dealership that draws my attention when I go past. Thing is I'd want the SRT, so I can get the better handling bits. Not sure though if it's enough sports car for me though.

The Camaro is something I'll look at. I can never have a Mustang though. Never will. Just don't like them.

Damn I really do think the new Scirocco is one sexy car in black.
4e24_27.JPG

I really want one. Problem is, a used Volvo C30 R-design is equally nice, and one with a bigger engine is nearly ten grand less.

Volvo-C30-R-design-1%5B1%5D.jpg

Guess once used 'rocs are on the market it will be more even, but both are very tempting. What do you all think?

There's an R/T Challenger in town at the dealership that draws my attention when I go past. Thing is I'd want the SRT, so I can get the better handling bits. Not sure though if it's enough sports car for me though.

The Camaro is something I'll look at. I can never have a Mustang though. Never will. Just don't like them.

The R/T has 375hp and over 400 lb/ft of torque and costs almost $10K less than the SRT-8. I'm sure you could get similar specs/equipment of the SRT-8 with aftermarket parts and not spend over $40K. But I think the 370Z is more along the lines of what you are looking for.

An alternative would be the much overlooked BMW 1-series. In the US it's only available as a coupe and the highest version has the 300hp twin turbo engine from 335i can be had for mid $30K range.

4e24_27.JPG

I really want one. Problem is, a used Volvo C30 R-design is equally nice, and one with a bigger engine is nearly ten grand less.

Guess once used 'rocs are on the market it will be more even, but both are very tempting. What do you all think?

If it were my money I'd get the Volvo. But the scirocco would still be on my mind.

4e24_27.JPG

Get the Volvo. Unless (and pardon my ignorance) the VW has a true limited slip differential, then the Volvo would have a similar driving experience for less cash.

The R/T has 375hp and over 400 lb/ft of torque and costs almost $10K less than the SRT-8. I'm sure you could get similar specs/equipment of the SRT-8 with aftermarket parts and not spend over $40K. But I think the 370Z is more along the lines of what you are looking for.

An alternative would be the much overlooked BMW 1-series. In the US it's only available as a coupe and the highest version has the 300hp twin turbo engine from 335i can be had for mid $30K range.

The 135i is a great car, a fantastic car. But I'd want options. For some reason, I'm a geek on top of being a car guy, so I'd want things like iPod integration and satellite navigation. Yes, it ruins the car, but I don't care. That puts the 135i at a solid 45 grand loaded, the 370Z loaded is only 40k. And the Z has a proper limited slip differential.

I do believe you are right on the R/T and aftermarket modifications. I just wish the SRT wasn't so much more for so little improvement in horsepower. Plus, who has to pay extra for a proper manual gearbox?

Your points are well-taken though. I should probably add both vehicles to my ever increasing "short list".

Americans.
:drums:
Now THAT was a loaded question.

I was explaining today to someone that an automatic transmission is about $30/month extra on a 5 year loan in the case of a lot of cars (assuming a $1500 cost for the transmission). I'd rather just do it myself instead of paying that. That's a tank extra of gas to go blow however I want in my more fun to drive manual.

She was like, "Eh, I'd still buy the automatic. I usually am too busy doing my makeup and talking on the phone and stuff to worry about changing gears." We were talking about the new 370Z. *sigh*

I was explaining today to someone that an automatic transmission is about $30/month extra
That's a tank extra of gas to go blow however I want in my more fun to drive manual.

That's 1/3 of a tank of gas here in the land of cheaper standards than automatics. You've gotta take the bad with the good.

Plus, you can usually squeeze better mileage out of a manual than an automatic...so that's even BIGGER savings.

4e24_27.JPG

I had to check where you are from that the C30 is LESS than an equivalent VW hatch. Because here a C30 R-Design will probably be upwards of $35,000USD (a new non R-Design model is about $33kUSD at my local dealer).

I drove a C30 2.0 T5, it was decent. I was waiting for my car to be serviced and decided to take one out. Maybe cause I was going through withdrawal and needed power, but the C felt under powered to me. I have no way of comparing it to the 'Rocco due to the 5,000,000,0000,000 trillion gallons of water between me and the nearest country that gets one. But I think the VW may be prettier looking than the Volvo... certainly from the rear

Last edited:
The C30 doesnt drive anywhere near as nicely as the Scirocco. Also, if you are comparing the 2.5T engine with the 2.0T, the VW engine uses a noticeable amount less petrol.

Citro?n CX 2500 GTi 1985, 1000 euros

That just looks amazing. It's very worn, the leather definitely looks like it's been sat on, but the seller claims it only really needs a new exhaust to get it back on the road. Of course, there are probably gremlins aplenty and a door has had a good knock (spare door comes with it), but I just love the thing to bits. The moodily lit garage pictures make the ad even better. :mrgreen:

I love diesels.

This one time I was driving home behind a diesel pickup, and every time it accelerated there was this huge cloud of black smoke that *just* preceded it pulling away. So every time I saw it I went to WOT on my Honda and it meant that I started accelerating just as the truck did (in the very next moment).

I've never kept as tight a speed match with any other car before or since.

that CX is awesome. My dad used to have the exact same one, in estate version. Same colour even.

I loved that car even if I was only 4 years old, because I could start it every day in winter and sit at the controls for a while. Old diesels meant you had to start them 5 minutes before taking off so they could warm up a bit.
Also, this particular CX had air suspension that took a while to fill up with air, so you'd start it, sit in it for a while, and after 30 seconds you could feel the ass of the car lift up...

ah memories

I've no idea if it was good to drive though, but the boot space was gigantically enormous. Car was like a mile long though, you'd have to go around corners carefully, as in wait until your rear wheels pass the corner, then do a full lock turn... fun in tight streets

[YOUTUBE]a27pCW2DPc0[/YOUTUBE]

Best pointless car chase ever? I love it.