Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

the Nissan 350z convertible has the ugliest rear end known to man. Also the indicators are way too big and clunky, are in a stupid place and ruin the whole car

Nissan%20350Z%20Convertible%20Rear%20-%201024x768.jpg

that is all

^agreed

I went and saw a great '04 Ford Ranger today. 4x4, custom wheels (tasteful), mud terrains, spray-on bed liner and only 41K miles.

Then the dealer got spooked by the fact that I had my instrument cluster replaced because of a bad speedometer, so the odometer reading is off. I had the work order faxed from the Honda dealer and the car has the sticker on the door frame. He said that just because of that he could only offer me $5,000 for my pristine car! He was a younger guy and the word came down from the head of the dealer, he seemed almost as disappointed as I was.

This makes me severely pissed at Honda. My car should be worth at least $8,000, but in this area it's more like $9K or $10K. Because of a manufacturing defect, covered under warranty and fixed by Honda my car is practically un-sellable and un-tradable.

I may call Honda North America and ask them to track down the truck I need and give me fair retail on my car. Their fuck-up is going to stick me with my Honda until the fucking wheels fall off.

Blind_Io, are you ok, man? You want to trade in a 2004 Honda Civic for a...(it's hard to say this)...Ford Ranger?????

I taught my mum to use one of those digital tyre pressure machines at a service station yesterday. I wasn't aware that she had never checked or topped up tyre pressures herself before, ever. Instead she's been waiting until the shop checks the tyres pressure when they do a twelve month inspection. Okaaayy. :blink: I check my tyres every three weeks, or whenever I'm taking the car out of town.

If I am not wrong, you should be doing it every week. Or maybe I am just obssessive.:mrgreen:

Break, new random topic. Should I post a how-to for WeatherPack connectors down in the Q&A section for those of us building/rebuilding/repairing cars?

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! I love the idea and will definitely be using it in the future.

Ford Ranger != Great.

It's the same damn truck from 1982.

They are also known as 250,000+ mile vehicles.

Blind_Io, are you ok, man? You want to trade in a 2004 Honda Civic for a...(it's hard to say this)...Ford Ranger?????

Short answer: No, I'm not.

I'm stressed as hell and I just want to get one issue in my life resolved.

Last edited:
I dropped by our Ford dealer the other week, parked my Grand Prix next to a brand new Ranger. The Grand Prix was bigger. And it makes more power. :think:

I am seriously pissed at Honda.

At about 34K miles, my speedo started sticking and the entire cluster was replaced. The odometer is now off, reading only 33K miles. Dealers won't touch it, offering me less than half what the car is really worth just because of the odometer issue - which was fixed under warranty by Honda at a Honda dealer with all appropriate documentation.

Even the Honda dealer that did the bloody work won't even give me wholesale for the car.

Fuck you, Honda North America. Fuck you.

Never heard of it.

what's so bad about that? AFAIK the 4motion is really neat on such a car... even if it isn't the quickest thing out there...

if it's a TDI, 800 kms won't even need one full tank, which is also handy

First: I hate passats.

second: The passat was broken so i had to go in a rental Renault Trafic! THE JOY!! i actually missed the passat..

Add a traffic jam caused by a collision involving 2 lorry's (I was stuck in traffic for 90 min) And you have my day...

I need ice cream...

Last edited:
I am seriously pissed at Honda.

At about 34K miles, my speedo started sticking and the entire cluster was replaced. The odometer is now off, reading only 33K miles. Dealers won't touch it, offering me less than half what the car is really worth just because of the odometer issue - which was fixed under warranty by Honda at a Honda dealer with all appropriate documentation.

Even the Honda dealer that did the bloody work won't even give me wholesale for the car.

Fuck you, Honda North America. Fuck you.

I'm surprised they didn't have a certified odometer/speedometer shop correct the odometer reading prior to installation. Perhaps that's illegal in California? Edit: Just checked, it's not.

Perhaps you should just sell the car privately.

Last edited:
I'm trying to, but the market has tanked. Everyone is looking only at price and getting older Civics.

As for the odometer shop, can they even do that for a digital odometer?

Yes, yes, they can. Many jurisdictions demand that a replacement odometer be set to accurately reflect the mileage and don't allow the lazy way out without a state referee's approval.

What it sounds like is that your dealership was lazy.

Last edited:
I'm going to make a couple calls.....

If you see a mushroom cloud from west, that's just me making heads explode.

EDIT:
Called a speedo repair shop in LA. They referred me to one in Washington who actually does the repairs on my cluster.
Took that info and called the dealer, who told me they followed Honda procedure.
On the phone with Honda North America. When I told them I wanted the speedo reset to show the accurate mileage, they put me on hold.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Honda North America.

They are leaving me to twist in the wind on this one, the fuckers.

Anyway, not long after this I found something much more me. It was the only Hurst Oldsmobile i have ever seen in the UK.....

So today I was skipping through the classifieds of the most recent issue of one of my favorite magazines and what suprisingly familiar sight greeted me?

http://img13.imageshack.**/img13/2160/olds.jpg

IT LIVES!

Last edited:
Heh, he's wrong about what the engine is out of unless he's swapped it. That should have the last of the Olds V8s in it.