Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Some angry lady told me to slow down today. I was doing 25 in a 30 zone o_O

I've been there. I was doing about 28 in a 30 in my Jeep, but in 2nd, so it was screaming a bit and this guy on the sidewalk acted like a came by doing 50.

I test-drove a 1984 Mercedes 500SEC today. That thing reminds me of nothing so much as a train...heavy, powerful, and smooth as all hell. Apart from some minor electrical glitches and rust bubbles, it's perfect. Veeery tempting.

That sort of solidity is missing from current Benz products and is what many of us want back.

I've been there. I was doing about 28 in a 30 in my Jeep, but in 2nd, so it was screaming a bit and this guy on the sidewalk acted like a came by doing 50.

Yeah, I've gotten that too; back around 1998 some old biddy in University Park actually ran out in the street and started berating me for speeding in a school zone in my Toyota truck. Only problem was that the Toyota truck was left in first gear to keep it from speeding through this particular school zone, which is normally heavily patrolled by the police. I was doing 12 in a 20. She would hear none of it.

Last edited:
Labcoatguy said:
I test-drove a 1984 Mercedes 500SEC today. That thing reminds me of nothing so much as a train...heavy, powerful, and smooth as all hell. Apart from some minor electrical glitches and rust bubbles, it's perfect. Veeery tempting.

That sort of solidity is missing from current Benz products and is what many of us want back.

The "some minor electrical glitches and rust bubbles" bit would fit a 2004 Mercedes, too :mrgreen:

The under-300km W204 has yet to develop any.

Yeah, I've gotten that too; back around 1998 some old biddy in University Park actually ran out in the street and started berating me for speeding in a school zone in my Toyota truck. Only problem was that the Toyota truck was left in first gear to keep it from speeding through this particular school zone, which is normally heavily patrolled by the police. I was doing 12 in a 20. She would hear none of it.

Used to happen to me all the time in my El Camino, I would be doing five under the limit, but it sounds so loud that people would assume I'm doing 10 over. :(

\

Sometimes I leave it in the high gear on purpose. Or I'll tear away from the stop sign and rip through the 1-2 shift, but only be going 23 :lol:

I know the Park Cities people just love seeing my pile roll though :D

Sometimes I leave it in the high gear on purpose. Or I'll tear away from the stop sign and rip through the 1-2 shift, but only be going 23 :lol:

I know the Park Cities people just love seeing my pile roll though :D

One good way to piss them off is to go home, get your small displacement motorcycle, come back and wheelie past their house in the 20mph school zone.

At 15mph. :D

One good way to piss them off is to go home, get your small displacement motorcycle, come back and wheelie past their house in the 20mph school zone.

At 15mph. :D

Was it a 2 stroke? That would be double super irritating. ;)

Oh well, I bet the old lady still loved it. :mrgreen:

Why did Honda quit making the middleweights? <_<

Because people stopped buying them. And it wasn't that they stopped making them, it was just that they stopped importing them.

Last edited:
Worst of all for me is I'm in a tiny slow thing. The angry noise it makes when you go so slow doesn't sound anything like going fast, maybe more like a lawnmower.
Must be the stripes, looks like I'm going faster. :lol:

Must be the stripes, looks like I'm going faster. :lol:

I think if people are angry at you when you drive past it's not because they think you're going too fast. It's because there's a New Beetle on the road.

:p

My girlfriend saw a new Ford Fiesta on the road a day or two ago. So, I stopped by a Ford dealership that I knew had some 2010 mustangs already, and asked them when they were getting the Fiesta.

Turns out the ones on the road are pre-production models that are being driven around by contest winners.

The salesman said "They will be a 2001 model, so they will be available in about a year."

To which I replied "A year? Why even bother?" :p

Sucks...I was excited about it, too. Oh well. They had an all-black 2010 6-speed GT on their lot to catch some of my drool. The interior is SOO much nicer.

My girlfriend saw a new Ford Fiesta on the road a day or two ago. So, I stopped by a Ford dealership that I knew had some 2010 mustangs already, and asked them when they were getting the Fiesta.

Turns out the ones on the road are pre-production models that are being driven around by contest winners.

The salesman said "They will be a 2001 model, so they will be available in about a year."

To which I replied "A year? Why even bother?" :p

Sucks...I was excited about it, too. Oh well. They had an all-black 2010 6-speed GT on their lot to catch some of my drool. The interior is SOO much nicer.

Well, Ford is betting everything on the new Fiesta and other models. They have to be built right, so best to do a lot of testing before putting the things into production.

They're only going to get one shot at this - and the Fiesta is probably going to be the most critic-scrutinized Ford ever sold in this country, so they have no choice but to get it right. Or they can kiss the company byebye.

Considering the history of the American automakers and how there are endless lists of cars that were released before they were ready, I think this is the proper course of action.

Also, a 2001 model?????

I can't tell if that looks good or awful.

When ever I go to visit a friend of mine, this old angry lady on that street ALWAYS yells at me to "SLOW DOWN" and sometimes "SLOW THE FUCK DOWN" if I go any faster than 15mph (the street is a 30). I can understand when there kids are playing in the street, but when your sitting on your rocking chair on your porch..... I always feel like just putting the hammer down all the way.

That comment was from August of last year :mrgreen:. While you're here though, any thoughts on the current LX cars? The new Charger R/T is tempting, especially if it depreciates like hell before I buy one.