Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I'm now in Steamboat for the RMMR. My hotel room has a fully furnished kitchen, fireplace, dining table, 42" LCD TV and two couches :lol:

It took me two times to pass my final "G" test (level 1: G1 (theory), level 2: G2 (practical), final level: G (practical + highway).

The first time I was driving on a tricky road where it's first 80 km/h, then 60 km/h, then 80 km/h again; I got confused and got penalized for "impeding traffic" because I was going 60 km/h in an 80 km/h zone (I didn't see the sign). :glare:

Second time, I passed with flying colours. :D

It took me two times to pass my final "G" test (level 1: G1 (theory), level 2: G2 (practical), final level: G (practical + highway).

The first time I was driving on a tricky road where it's first 80 km/h, then 60 km/h, then 80 km/h again; I got confused and got penalized for "impeding traffic" because I was going 60 km/h in an 80 km/h zone (I didn't see the sign). :glare:

Second time, I passed with flying colours. :D

Yep one of the fail conditions on the test is driving too slowly. The only portion of the Final G test you can speed within reason(10-20 km/h over) is on the highway. I had to take 2 tests to pass my Final G, my issue was over a cross-walk which wasn't activated thus nobody is crossing yet but my examiner forced me to stop down and actually failed me on the spot without telling me and going through the whole test anyways. Your not supposed to stop at a cross walk if its not activated! She quickly ran from the car after I was surprised I failed, so I was very pissed. Very unprofessional because I could not complain to the examiner about how wrong her decision is. Next test, I got a actual examiner...while I saw the one I got last time...fail another person, I passed that one without any problems.

Jalopnik just had a post about loading a armored Bentley onto a plane. Needless to say it all went smoothly, but it could've not.

http://img269.imageshack.**/img269/1632/medium36382592456ca2571.jpg

That was a disaster waiting to happen.

Actually that's quite a common practice in the forklifting world. The fork lift on the left looks a bit small for teh job. but when you take your fork lift licence they actually teach you how to properly do a tendem lift.

Annoying day auto-wise, the price of gas jumped $0.10/litre overnight.

And then seeing as it was my day off, I cleaned up the car and the garage and went out for a drive just to end up getting stuck behind a military F-150 dawdling along on the most entertaining bit of road.

Annoying day auto-wise, the price of gas jumped $0.10/litre overnight.

And then seeing as it was my day off, I cleaned up the car and the garage and went out for a drive just to end up getting stuck behind a military F-150 dawdling along on the most entertaining bit of road.

Yeah, to 2.65 here.

i swear i saw a 2CV getting on the mass pike today... it was grey blue and man i gotta say those things are tiny IRL... i assume it's here under the 25 year exemption...

Last edited:
2CVs were produced long, long before the 25 year rule was put into place at Mercedes' behest; some were imported on a piecemeal basis in the 60s and 70s.

800px-Jaguar_XJ_.jpg

is this an X308 XJ-R? I can't seem to precisely place the generation....

800px-Jaguar_XJ_.jpg

is this an X308 XJ-R? I can't seem to precisely place the generation....

The more I see of the XJ the more I see the appeal it has over the other large german luxury sedans.

The more I see of the XJ the more I see the appeal it has over the other large german luxury sedans.

Why do you think I'm looking at pictures of it on wikipedia?? :mrgreen:

My Volvo has spoiled me with its comfortable seats!

The other day I was riding along in a friends car - a Mk3 Golf. It was a short 30 minute drive, but the passenger seat was so uncomfortable...it nearly crippled me!
Then, yesterday my boss gave me a ride in her car to a conference we had to attend. It was a 2004 Mercury Sable. It was better than the Golf, but the seats had no side support whatsoever. I had to hold on to something, to stop myself from sliding on the corners.

The bad thing is that I'm going back home next week, and I will have to drive the small Polo for a month...:(