Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Well, unless you install an anti-gay bar, yes, Miatas are gay. :D

Hmmm, now that I think about it, a friend of mines 90 turbo has the license plate "Thuper" on it

edit: pics

img_mazdaspd_tuning_personal60_lg_01.jpg

img_mazdaspd_tuning_personal60_lg_17.jpg

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/dis...uningPersonal&sectionParameter=tunerProfile60

Last edited:
Saw 3 top down miatas today in the span of about 30 minutes. One was driven by a man with grey hair and had sheepskin seats, the other two were driven by women in their 30's-40's.
You know we could say the same for Mustangs :mrgreen:

But. . .

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-MEkwooP2U&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

At least they had the tops down. I see countless miata's here, driven by the same people, with the tops up. About 1 in 10 are driven by other guys who roll passed and give me a thumbs up. That ratio changes massively as I get closer, and closer, to the canyon roads though.
That's true for anyone with a convertible, they are miserable to live with, with the top up, noise, leaks, buffeting, so why ever have the top up, may as well buy a coupe with a sunroof.

I've only ever got a wave from one woman, rarely from old people. Generally it's from 20-40 year old males, it's pure instant gratification though when they wave back.

Last edited:
It's strange watching Iran on the news with Hillman Hunters everywhere.

Ask Nouseferaname or Madcow how my miata* kept up with the likes of a DSG VW GTI, Cobalt SS, new Civic Si and made a complete ass out a new mustang...I think the mustang could have been outdriven by a man walking a dog though.

The mustang was even put to shame by my car...that is, until the brakes faded

My friend with the Cobalt SS TC went as far as saying his ass was beat my a miata

Nabster: I can't think of the last time I saw someone driving a pre-smog Mustang that wasn't trying to "relive his/her childhood." Of course then they have to make up for their dick size (or envy) with massive engines.

Mazda must have secret handling voodoo they learned from Lotus or something.

They modeled the car a bit after the Lotus Elan as well as the MG's.

Something a lot of people who hate on the car forget is, it weighs 2200-2300lbs (depending on year). The 1.6 and 1.8l engines can take large quantities of abuse from bad drivers/owners to boost. The suspension is extremely easy to tinker with and has huge amounts of factory adjustability. Find me a car in production today, even other Mazda's, that can get -3* camber out of the front or rear suspension without aftermarket parts.

Mazda had the racer in mind when engineering this car, no surprise since the head of the company at the time WAS a racer himself.

The only thing to hate about them really, is their lack of space for taller drivers. And I know a 6'5" man who can sit in one comfortably... so no excuses.

I was talking about all Mazdas in general. I've been driving a Mazdaspeed6 all week, I would swear it weight much less than the 3600 pounds it actually does.

^ Isn't it "?17500" according to the ad?

Got my steering aligned. The adjustments were apparently way off, and now it should be about right. It feels better, and the wheel is now about straight, possibly tilted a smidgen too left instead of shitload to the right. If it doesn't "bed in" by itself as the tires do, I'll have it fine-tuned under tire shop warranty next week.

I checked the tire pressures later, and if the service station's equipment is right, the guy inflated my tires to 2,75bar instead of 2,0 that is closer to correct. The tires are 175/60R14's, and I remember having them at 2,0bar when they were under my old Mazda.

I checked the tire pressures later, and if the service station's equipment is right, the guy inflated my tires to 2,75bar instead of 2,0 that is closer to correct. The tires are 175/60R14's, and I remember having them at 2,0bar when they were under my old Mazda.

Wooow....2.75 is way too much for these tires, especially if you're going to go on gravel!
I have mine at 2.5 and I NEVER go off the road, they are pretty stiff right now.

If I were you, I would keep them at 2.2-2.3 bars.

Yeah, I'm definitely checking them again at another service station just to be on the safe side. I will be having to monitor them anyway, since one of the tires was quite flat when I took them out of storage; luckily I had had them on their side and not upright and that one hadn't lost its form.

Saw 3 top down miatas today in the span of about 30 minutes. One was driven by a man with grey hair and had sheepskin seats, the other two were driven by women in their 30's-40's.

If I could fit in a Miata I would have one.

In addition to being a sports car icon, and one of the last true sports cars (small motor and a focus on handling instead of power), it's a very mod-friendly car. I regularly see guys my age in very nice Miatas, often sporting oversize performance brakes, roll cage, safety harnesses, full exhaust, and who knows what's under the hood.

It's a fantastic car.