Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Saw a Continental Gt at a TGIFridays of all places. What a awesome car. It was driven by a 30-something dude with a supermodel for a girlfriend.

If only this actually happens:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3fOO7AdhIE&feature=player_embedded#t=11[/YOUTUBE]

Smart ad though.

Just out of curiosity.... how do you illegally drive into Australia? Seems like the miles of ocean would help protect against that...

If only this actually happens:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3fOO7AdhIE&feature=player_embedded#t=11[/YOUTUBE]

Smart ad though.

Bahaha, I can't +rep you =[

Is that ad on tv? I don't watch tv too much so I wouldn't know.

I had a go in a 1999 Volvo V40 GDI. It was a recent Italian import, ~100 000 km with full official dealer service history, and it was very green. And actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be; the Mitsubishi direct-injection engine felt responsive, the steering wasn't dead and the gearbox felt tight enough. It was just that besides the offensively dull colour, it had a major amount of dents and scratches. They were so many of them that it was actually laughable; each corner had been rubbed against something, there were random scratches on the sides, and while the hood didn't have any stone chips, it had a big sharp dent.

The interior was nice, though; it had A/C, a recent MOT and it wasn't that badly priced at ~6k euro. And it was actually brought from San Remo by Toni Gardemeister, the rally driver.

Toyota ads are pretty cool:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9psXnHnXu0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDmVY5gFsdE&feature=PlayList&p=957FA3F627C8D006&index=0&playnext=1[/YOUTUBE]

If only they made cool cars again....:(

Last edited:
I might be getting a new limited slip diff from a guy who doesn't know that his crashed 4x4 DOHC Sierra has one :D Second hand ones go for 250-300?, and I offered "20-30?" for it, lets see if he takes it :)

Buy the whole rear suspension if you can. You might need the driveshafts and trailing arms too make the diff fit. I had to do that too make mine fit.

I really hate people who use the main highway as the deceleration lane before turning into the deceleration lane and driving the whole length at 30 mph.

Some people have no choice; they drive old cars with drum brakes. Surely you remember what that's like :mrgreen:

Some people have no choice; they drive old cars with drum brakes. Surely you remember what that's like :mrgreen:

What excuse does that give the people women in honking great modern SUVs who constantly do it here? Seriously, the speed limit on the road going out to the interstate is 55, the walmart also happens to be out on the road, and if you don't get into the left lane you will get stuck behind someone doing 30 down the road before they get to the deceleration lane for the walmart turnoff.

:bangin:

I really hate people who use the main highway as the deceleration lane before turning into the deceleration lane and driving the whole length at 30 mph.

Hang on, let me draw you a diagram...

stupidexit.png

Grey = concrete bridge pillar.
White = Impassable, i.e. not paved.
Black = paved

The horizontal road is a 55 with a flow of traffic of 70 in the right lane.

The exit ramp has a recommended speed of 25mph and NO deceleration lane (and not even a shoulder leading up to it that you can improperly appropriate to use as one)

The exit I take going to work has people getting on an merging from the same lane you have to turn into to get off. The best part: it's a common spot for a speed trap.

The exit I take going to work has people getting on an merging from the same lane you have to turn into to get off. The best part: it's a common spot for a speed trap.

I know of many sets of ramps that share an acceleration/deceleration lane like that and it usually isn't a problem, except for one. The problem is that flow on the road is... again, 70mph, and there are only about 100ft between the two. Amusingly, it's only about 2 miles down the road from the one I just posted (but going in the other direction)

Yeah, the real problem is that they are very close to each other, and the on and off ramps are very sharp. This whole road in general (Route 2) is rather horribly designed.

It's a carb thing. Well, the engine needs a full thorough going through as well, but for now it's mostly the carb that's the problem. A more appropriate intake would help quite a bit too, but that will have to wait for next year.

It sounds like your carb needs to be rebuilt. Don't adjust your carb by guesstamtion either. The adjustments are for the idle circut only. If you are running rich(even slighty), your float is probably the problem. It probably has a plastic foam type of float and they start to absord fuel causing it to sink slighty. That causes the fuel in the bowl to rise higher than it should, causing the rich problem. So a simple rebuild should cure the problem.

And after the rebuild take it in to a shop and have them adjust your carbs idle mixture, well worth the extra cash.