Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I just slapped new bulbs in the car.

Got myself some Philips X-Tremepower +80% H7 bulbs and I am completely amazed.

I had the other high-end bulbs before (Blue Vision, Nightguide, Vision Plus), but those really kick the other bulbs asses. They create a nice white light and are incredibly bright....

Some shots from someone else:

Stock bulbs:

oembeamshot.jpg

Vision Plus:

vpground1.jpg

boost50.jpg

X-Tremepower:

XP-8.jpg

boost80.jpg

Can only recommend :p

The Panamaxi should've been more wide bodied. The CLR 700GT proves this, it actually looks awesome.

1254442687-1LummaDesignPorschePanamera.jpg

It shoudl fit, but why would you want to shrink your wheels? It will give lots of problems, like your speedo being off because of the smaller wheels, bigger gaps between the wheels and the wheelarches, etc. the second number in tyre sizes marks the height of the sidewall in relation to the width of the tyre. A 50 series tyre has a sidewall with a height of 50% of the tyre's width, a 55 series tyre 55%, etc.

The car has lowering springs. And the previous owner swapped the original wheels. Originally it came with 195/65/15. He fit the Turbo 16" wheels and 205/55/16 tires - what Volvo recommends and the one that won't mess your speedo.

However...they didn't engineer it properly. Lots of people have complained about it. With the current 205/55/16 the wheels rub the wheel well at full lock. I have been told that 205/50/16 will solve the problem

That's why you use reverse. I remember watching some sort of GT race when I was pretty young and the winner was a race-spec Nissan Sentra. He celebrated with reverse donuts.

Donuts isnt powersliding. Besides reverse donuts are just lame.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6thh_Iw92w[/YOUTUBE]

I win. My Polo had 155/65/13s

who has narrower tyres than mine?

The winter tires are 155/80R13.

The car browsing didn't yield any proper results for my friend yet; we tested a black 2003 Civic 1.6 5d with 67 tkm, and while it was otherwise alright, I found the steering very "Microsoft Force Feedback Wheel" like, being very synthetic-feeling. It also had some minor rust, but the 2005 Mazda3 had even more.

Going to check out a 2004 Lancer STW tomorrow.

I've noticed that there's a squeaking coming from the Matrix when it is raining. It sounds like the belt, but I thought the 1.8L Toyota engine comes with a chain instead of a belt. I know for a fact the previous generation Corolla (1998-2002) had a chain, why would they switch to a belt?

Anyway, is this squeaking normal when moisture hits the belt, or is it something I should get checked out?

Edit: Did some more reading and found out that there isn't only one belt. The "timing" belt/chain is the main one, correct? I know the matrix has a timing chain, so what other belts are there that could be causing the squeaking?

Can I get a breakdown of all the chains/belts in the engine? :?

Last edited:
I've noticed that there's a squeaking coming from the Matrix when it is raining. It sounds like the belt, but I thought the 1.8L Toyota engine comes with a chain instead of a belt. I know for a fact the previous generation Corolla (1998-2002) had a chain, why would they switch to a belt?

Anyway, is this squeaking normal when moisture hits the belt, or is it something I should get checked out?

Edit: Did some more reading and found out that there isn't only one belt. The "timing" belt/chain is the main one, correct? I know the matrix has a timing chain, so what other belts are there that could be causing the squeaking?

Can I get a breakdown of all the chains/belts in the engine? :?

.... Open the hood and see what connects to what. Chances are it's just one serpentine belt, which will be wrapped around the crank, power steering, alternator and air conditioning compressor. You'll also have an internal timing belt/chain (honestly I couldn't care which one it is on a toyota). EDIT: Forgot to mention, under the hood will be a handy little sticker showing belt routing, which will have all the belt info on it.

Do you know for sure it's a belt squeaking? It could also be the alternator or power steering pump. Really the engine bay shouldn't be getting wet in the rain anyway, so you may be missing some barrier panels around the engine bay if it's coming from the engine bay. It could also be one of the wheels. If you could get audio of the squeak it would help, because it's rather hard to diagnose a sound through description.

Last edited:
the mitsu is emitting ginormous amounts of smoke, any ideas

Last edited:
Saw this on the road and was immediately reminded of those long names on the Evos and WRXs:

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2009/10/03/DSC00018.JPG

That's Jin Bei... SY6480... ATC... -ME...

Reason to celebrate?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/02/report-zeta-based-chevy-g8-police-car-to-be-unveiled-monday/

The Pontiac G8 has not deserved its lot in life, and despite the Australians trying to steal it back with the debut of two special edition Holdens that look awfully similar, this rear-wheel-drive sport sedan will find one way or another to stay on sale in the U.S. Unfortunately, its customers won't be the general public since General Motors, after a few crossed wires, has decided not to let the G8 live on as the Chevrolet Caprice. No, the G8's new audience will be the po-po, as in law enforcement.

We've been telling you about GM's plan to introduce a G8-based cop car for some time, and all evidence points to Monday as the cruiser's official debut at the International Association of Chiefs of Police convention in Denver, CO. While GM has not technically confirmed that the G8 will form the underpinnings of this new police package, the Zeta platform on which the G8 is based is the only RWD one large enough to accommodate a pair of officers and their collars. In other words, we don't expect GM to unveil a Kappa-based Pontiac Solstice police cruiser next week, as cool as that might be. So keep your eyes and ears peeled on Monday. The cops are coming and they'll be driving a G8.

Quick question: For standing start, is it better to hold down the accelerator a bit and then slowly release the clutch into first gear OR it it better to release the clutch, balance it (or feel the friction) and then push down the accelerator?

I want a V12 XJS. It must happen, someday.

I'M NOT ALONE

Quick question: For standing start, is it better to hold down the accelerator a bit and then slowly release the clutch into first gear OR it it better to release the clutch, balance it (or feel the friction) and then push down the accelerator?

if you do the second you'll more prone to stalling

Last edited:

Speaking of XJS's...my car currently is losing as much oil as James' XJS in the cheap car challenge.

I'll explain more tomorrow.