Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Kat is having arguments with self in head.
"turbo turbo you need turbo"
"No, turbo too much power. Transmission will explode and FWD won't handle it well."
"Turbo = fast"
"Convertible! Does not need fast! Fast + top down = facepain!"

"No, turbo too much power. Transmission will explode and FWD won't handle it well."
"Turbo = fast"

You would need a dead Turbo Beetle as a donor as you would need to take the transmission and crossmember/subframe to do it right. As for convertible + fast being an issue.... I had an XKR convertible, no problems with the top down and cruising at 100. :D

I read that as "facepalm"....which is probably close to the truth. Though if I drive in front next time, you might just feel the need for a turbo even more. :shifty:

I would, except for those speed limits to cap you down

You would need a dead Turbo Beetle as a donor as you would need to take the transmission and crossmember/subframe to do it right. As for convertible + fast being an issue.... I had an XKR convertible, no problems with the top down and cruising at 100. :D

Oh more than that.
The turbo beetle is in fact a 1.8 and I have a 2.0 so that is an engin swap. They do however, make a turbo for the 2.0.... It shoves it up to something like 230 HP.
That will destroy my transmission so I would first have to do a manual swap. Then my car will have turned into a muscle car and cannot handle to power in corners so i would have to make it AWD.

Overall, It would make more sense to buy a second car.
Or turbo moms when she is not looking. :shifty:

If you think 100 with the roof down is ok, you have no hair. If you do it all goes in your face stinging your eyes and you will crash. I cannot not wear a hat/hairtie/headband at 60 never mind 100. My car does not like 100 much anyway it gets wiggly.

My car is perfect at 40 on twisty backroads. That is fine. It's not like I have a nearby track to make use of massive power anyway. My commute is twisty roads at 40 though :mrgreen:

Keep the bug as a commutator, and buy something outrageous.

AaronCouper-B.jpg

13b isn't quite as outrageous as a ten million ton i6.

If you think 100 with the roof down is ok, you have no hair. If you do it all goes in your face stinging your eyes and you will crash. I cannot not wear a hat/hairtie/headband at 60 never mind 100. My car does not like 100 much anyway it gets wiggly.

No, I happened to have a car that was properly designed to route airflow over the cabin. :D And an air deflector/diffuser. :D

I would, except for those speed limits to cap you down

Bah, I'll be fine so long as you don't tailgate me and catch the cops' attention. Plus there are plenty of roads (on the wrong side of the state, though) where a bit of extra powaaaah works wonders.

Keep the bug as a commutator, and buy something outrageous.

Yeah that was my more logical idea. :lol:

Bah, I'll be fine so long as you don't tailgate me and catch the cops' attention. Plus there are plenty of roads (on the wrong side of the state, though) where a bit of extra powaaaah works wonders.

:p

I drove around in a Base 2009 corolla today (do not ask where the mitsu is)and found it unbelievably plasticky. Hard plastics in the door trim, plastics in the steering wheel,all gray, all crap. What the hell went wrong Toyota?

@Spectre, Awwww c'mon haven't you owned something that makes me feel better:p

I take it it was this thing?
Toyotas are pretty plasticy, even in their more expensive cars it's a bit tinny. Japanese tradition.

I kind of want a Gremlin with a stroked Jeep 4.7L straight six.

For those who don't know, this is a Gremlin.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2009/11/17/6amc_gremlin.jpg

my aunt had a gremlin and loved it

I have discovered the most horrible car in existance, it is the
Chevy Taho
hybrid
limo
Think about that for a minute. Bask in the horrible.
I was stuck behind it for a loong time, so were the 3 people in front of me and the 4-5 behind me in my rearview mirror. Yes it is infact worse than a caravan. It has the top speed of about 25mph.

"Turbo = fast"

Keep the Beetle as a commuter till it has outlived its usefulness. Then buy yourself something nice.

I just went through and found all this awesomeness. Really the best era in automotive design IMO. Also, 50s/60s advertising FTW. I want a land boat.

These are my favorites from the era.

Last edited:
Gotta love the Pontiac wide-tracks :)