Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.co...ack-is-Motor-Trend-Sport-Utility-of-the-Year/

How the hell can a Subaru Outback be Motor Trend's SUV of the year? It's not an SUV. Subaru markets it as being "not an SUV." So how can it be the best SUV?

This is frustrating as hell, considering I'm some one who owns and likes SUVs it drives me nuts with cars on oversized tires are counted as true SUVs and compared to them. Of course the car will get better MPG and will corner better. It's apples and oranges. Why don't we look at other numbers, like towing capacity, cargo capacity, approach, departure, and breakover angle. How about torque or bhp, wheel articulation, wheel travel, body flex or the ability to get a low range transfer case?
"You can't do that! It's not the same as an SUV!"
Arg!

I'm still wondering why did Americans gave up estates, they are as big as a SUV,more stable at high speeds, I'm pretty sure you can do some very light offroading with them, they are cheaper than a SUV so why? Why the hell did they made the change?

Don't look at me, my first car was an estate and I loved it. Now I like the SUV, but then again, I'm one of the 3% of the population that actually uses it like it should be.

I'm still wondering why did Americans gave up estates, they are as big as a SUV,more stable at high speeds, I'm pretty sure you can do some very light offroading with them, they are cheaper than a SUV so why? Why the hell did they made the change?

Because estates developed a reputation for being "mom cars." They are, however, making a massive comeback in the last 3 years. Now they're called "crossovers" (or sometimes just a 5 door hatch) but they're still wagons. I'm actually in the market for a small wagon to replace the Passat before it implodes.

I disagree, a Crossover is not an estate. An estate sits lower to the ground, like a sedan, while a crossover has a taller floor and roof line with a more upright seating position. It's still made like a car (unibody) and usually has the suspension from a car, but the body has larger wheel arches to fit oversized wheels; which, in turn, make the entire vehicle taller.

It's a small distinction, but I don't consider a crossover an estate. I honestly think that we are moving farther away from SUVs anyway. The explosion of the Crossover market shows that not everyone wants an offroad machine. Crossovers are getting shorter and more car-like with ever passing model year. Soon they will morph back into the estate and we will have come full circle, leaving only real SUVs with the "SUV" title.

Jimmy Carter, the EPA, Detroit and the two gas crises.

Jimmy Carter, the EPA, Detroit and the two gas crises.

Fuck them, it seems the only proper estate on the market now is the volvo V/XC70

Nope, they had nothing to do with it. Come to think of it, the UAW tried to stop it.

Wait what!, you are saying that the UAW did something good. Allow that to sink in. SPECTRE said something GOOD about the UAW.

On other news, Millions flock to the Holy grounds, pope predicts the end of days.

On a serious note, would you mind explain it?

Last edited:
Wait what!, you are saying that the UAW did something good. Allow that to sink in. SPECTRE said something GOOD about the UAW.

On other news, Millions flock to the Holy grounds, pope predicts the end of days.

On a serious note, would you mind explain it?

The UAW is, first and foremost, lazy.
Keeping the same basic car for years on end means less effort on their part - shifting production from station wagons to SUVs meant more work.

I disagree, a Crossover is not an estate. An estate sits lower to the ground, like a sedan, while a crossover has a taller floor and roof line with a more upright seating position. It's still made like a car (unibody) and usually has the suspension from a car, but the body has larger wheel arches to fit oversized wheels; which, in turn, make the entire vehicle taller.

It's a small distinction, but I don't consider a crossover an estate. I honestly think that we are moving farther away from SUVs anyway. The explosion of the Crossover market shows that not everyone wants an offroad machine. Crossovers are getting shorter and more car-like with ever passing model year. Soon they will morph back into the estate and we will have come full circle, leaving only real SUVs with the "SUV" title.

Ok I do agree however I'd add that many vehicles I would call wagons are marketed as "crossovers" (a new and thus still socially vague word) to avoid the negative stigma associated with saying you drive a station wagon. Then even if the car isn't officially marketed that way, it's often referred to as such by the owner, who is still in denial that the 80s are back. :p

Just realized that I've only seen photos of the Covini C6W. Never seen it in motion, so I decided to look it up.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd3PbkCZXxM[/YOUTUBE]
They take it around a track towards the end. Some nice engine notes in there.

Video also has some cool footage of the Tyrrell P34 (6 wheeled F1 car)

Last edited:
Ok I do agree however I'd add that many vehicles I would call wagons are marketed as "crossovers" (a new and thus still socially vague word) to avoid the negative stigma associated with saying you drive a station wagon. Then even if the car isn't officially marketed that way, it's often referred to as such by the owner, who is still in denial that the 80s are back. :p

I've long been in the habit of calling onroad SUVs "Station wagons" or "Minivans" depending on the model. It pisses the owners off soooo bad.

Last edited:
Damn and blast! First attempt at draining ATF...FAIL.

I got the car on ramps, blocked the rear wheels, got under the car, found the enormous 24mm drain plug, just to find that I can't take it off. :(
I tried a monkey wrench...which started to damage the edges of the bolt, so I gave up on it.
I had a 24mm socket and a ratchet...but the plug is placed at the most uncomfortable position, and the ratchet can't reach there because of the fuel return lines.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a 24mm box wrench, and I hope it will do the trick.

There's an easier and sneakier way to do it. :D You'll need 2 more gallons of ATF, though.

I got the car on ramps, blocked the rear wheels, got under the car, found the enormous 24mm drain plug, just to find that I can't take it off. :(
I tried a monkey wrench...which started to damage the edges of the bolt, so I gave up on it.
I had a 24mm socket and a ratchet...but the plug is placed at the most uncomfortable position, and the ratchet can't reach there because of the fuel return lines.

If you can afford it get an impact wrench. An electric one should suffice.

Good news for BlaRo! You can pick up this beuty for under $2000!
http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/1453163107.html

I like how "usual places" means entire car. :p

Don't forget to undo the fill plug first, otherwise you could be in a spot of bother.