Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

well in my opinion.. so what if the sign is not marked spot on according the law book.. its a school area and has 15 miles on it.. common sense should tell thats the speed limit.

The problem is consistency. Over here we are conditioned to look for basic shapes and color patterns when it comes to road signs.

It helps us filter the unimportant crap from more useful information such as the speed limit.

They'd better let you off that one. Hopefully you get some kind of county/district court and not the same local judge that was appointed by the idiot that bought the stupid sign.

See the parking lot just past that side road?

That's the township building (police, fire, courthouse, "city hall"). I know this, because immediately after being ticketed I walked inside and filed for my court hearing. I'll appeal all the way to the top if it comes to it, because I have no intention of paying a $200 +10mph speeding ticket for a speed limit that didn't exist.

And yes, the cop (a local) was very clear on "This is a no-points ticket, just do yourself a favor and pay it".

My ass. I'll take that advice when it comes from a state trooper with a radar gun who just gave me a 30mph break, but not some hick with a stopwatch, spraypainted lines and an illegitimate sign who couldn't even be arsed to leave the station parking lot to set up his trap.

well in my opinion.. so what if the sign is not marked spot on according the law book.. its a school area and has 15 miles on it.. common sense should tell thats the speed limit.
It took me a bit of looking to figure out where the school the sign refers to even is. It's half a mile to the right and that side road happens to be its back entrance. You can't tell by looking that there's even a school there - and if high school students can't stay out of the way of 25mph cars, I don't think they can manage to avoid being killed by 15mph ones, either.

Last edited:
i wonder if Spectre would get angry if someone would say, photoshop a Christmas hat on top of his jag

I was unaware you could put up random fake speed limit signs and they can give tickets. I think I will change all the ones on my commute to 40. 40 makes my car happy.

Edit: my post is a page late and a dollar short. Sorry. :p Didn't realize there were more posts. This was in response to sifu.

Because it's not a little bit unstandard, it's completely off the wall INVENTED. If they had a sign that was close to spec I'd be saying the same thing, but that one is total BS. It may as well be on a piece of cardstock for all the legality it has. Road signs have been standard here for a very long time. It's one of the advantages to having a newer infrastructure.

I hope you get out of it Eye. You have my support, not that it's worth anything.

Last edited:
I think a Mitsubishi logo would be more effective.

Actually I'm asking it so i know he's cool with it, especially since I'm pretty sure I'm in range of his rifle

Not quite. Nowhere on the sign does it say speed limit. And, it isn't until you get to the third line of text do you see that it is a speed, and not a distance.

If I were driving past the sign, I'd probably read it as "School: 15 miles." I I wouldn't know what to do with that information, since school zones are typically 25mph.

Even the speeds posted on the REAL yellow signs are merely siggested speeds. You really can't get much of a ticket by driving on a 55mph road, coming up to a "yellow" 40mph curve, and taking it at 50. If you get into an accudent, you can get nailed for going too fast for conditions, but it's not the same as a speed limit.

This sign isn't clear in it's legibility, isn't clear in it's intent, and the limit it's trying to impose are even different than what the "standard" is for school zones.

Obviously the sign is warning you there will be traffic and you should go elsewhere.

i was thinking more like this pic

IMG_0776.sized.jpg

I'm thinking of putting a set of alloy wheels on my car since I want to get some new tyres soon anyway.

Any ideas? I was thinking of just sourcing a stock set of Toyota alloys from a wrecker or something, but not too sure which wreckers around my area are good.

So I've been doing some research on the Hawk HF kits, as started way back here.

Turns out, the required donor parts (as listed here) is utterly maddening - mostly comprising Fiat 124 and 132 parts. We got the 124 in small numbers, but never the 132, and any 124s left over are parts of Spiders (which are far too pretty to cut up :cry:) or languishing in SoCal junkyards. Maybe if I lived in Poland or something. And the steering rack from a Triumph Herald? There's always the possibility of adapting these to Japanese parts, but the effort needed would probably be just as great as actually building the damn thing.

Fortunately, I found a different company that also builds Lancia Stratos kits: the NapierSport Corse, which has a kit in left hand drive for export, with all donor parts included. Alfa Romeo and Ford bits that are even more common in western Europe. :D

The kit is approx. $18,000 USD, which is about the same as the Hawk kit. I hope it's just as original, however.

Turns out, the required donor parts (as listed here) is utterly maddening - mostly comprising Fiat 124 and 132 parts. We got the 124 in small numbers, but never the 132, and any 124s left over are parts of Spiders (which are far too pretty to cut up :cry:) or languishing in SoCal junkyards. Maybe if I lived in Poland or something. And the steering rack from a Triumph Herald? There's always the possibility of adapting these to Japanese parts, but the effort needed would probably be just as great as actually building the damn thing.

Fortunately, I found a different company that also builds Lancia Stratos kits: the NapierSport Corse, which has a kit in left hand drive for export, with all donor parts included. Alfa Romeo and Ford bits that are even more common in western Europe. :D

The kit is approx. $18,000 USD, which is about the same as the Hawk kit. I hope it's just as original, however.

Thank you and damn you, at the same time.:p

that is not christmassy though :p
make it red and green

It's not accurate for a BL product either, since all of the lights are working. :p

It's not accurate for a BL product either, since all of the lights are working. :p

They aren't suppose to be blinking. :p

It isn't British, but ruiness none the less. I approve.

Last edited:
So.. the Toyota Prius it's now being released over here...

:neutral:

I can't wait to see how it is received