Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Saw a Lincoln MKT in real life for the first time today. I liked it in photos, but I really liked it a lot more in real life.

Its the Lincoln badged Ford Flex, and it looks great IMO.

one million internets to anyone that can translate this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TFfxchqvB0[/YOUTUBE]

seriously... please... anyone...
What, I thought everyone spoke swedish? :lol:
I'll translate the highlights for you (this will be messy)

Technical details, 2.2 liter 5 cylinder engine, ~830 HP, ~800-900 Nm, dual fuel systems (one for normal petrol and one for racing fuel), fuel consumption on race fuel 180L/100km.

Below the car everything from the firewall and back is custom made, the exhaust pipe is originally a sewage pipe which also houses the catalytic converter inside of it, the transmission is taken from a Audi IMSA race cars, 4wd is split into 40% front 60% rear, the rear also has a differential brake with a 90% split on the rear tires. Rear axle cradle (?) taken from an Audi S2,

The reporter says that if it were not for the transmission the car would be undriveable and it's a testament to Dahlb?cks understanding of cars that it gets all the grip into the tarmac. The transmission is tilted towards the driver and extremely short stroked. Gearshifter taken from Audi IMSA-series car.

Almost everything on the engine is custom made by Dahlb?ck or other companies, the turbocharger is custom made for them by KKK, custom exhaust manifold, intake manifold from Audi S1, own crankshafts, custom cylinder head, pistons and of course custom chip tuning (which is Dahlb?cks family business), wastegate from Audi S1.

Dual interconnected intercoolers, 280 degrees cooling and 25 degrees in the intake manifold (I don't know enough to understand what that means), alcom 356mm Audi DTM brakes.

In race-mode below 5000 RPM nothing happens but then the car erupts like a volcano, revs to 9000-10000 RPM. Wolsburg says he's mad. The suspension is rock hard and he's been stopped by the police only once.

And it's street legal and in normal mode works almost like an ordinary golf :)

Technical details, 2.2 liter 5 cylinder engine, ~830 HP, ~800-900 Nm, dual fuel systems (one for normal petrol and one for racing fuel), fuel consumption on race fuel 180L/100km.

Below the car everything from the firewall and back is custom made, the exhaust pipe is originally a sewage pipe which also houses the catalytic converter inside of it, the transmission is taken from a Audi IMSA race cars, 4wd is split into 40% front 60% rear, the rear also has a differential brake with a 90% split on the rear tires. Rear axle cradle (?) taken from an Audi S2,

The reporter says that if it were not for the transmission the car would be undriveable and it's a testament to Dahlb?cks understanding of cars that it gets all the grip into the tarmac. The transmission is tilted towards the driver and extremely short stroked. Gearshifter taken from Audi IMSA-series car.

Almost everything on the engine is custom made by Dahlb?ck or other companies, the turbocharger is custom made for them by KKK, custom exhaust manifold, intake manifold from Audi S1, own crankshafts, custom cylinder head, pistons and of course custom chip tuning (which is Dahlb?cks family business), wastegate from Audi S1.

Dual interconnected intercoolers, 280 degrees cooling and 25 degrees in the intake manifold (I don't know enough to understand what that means), alcom 356mm Audi DTM brakes.

In race-mode below 5000 RPM nothing happens but then the car erupts like a volcano, revs to 9000-10000 RPM. Wolsburg says he's mad. The suspension is rock hard and he's been stopped by the police only once.

The air is 280 degrees celsius when it goes into the IC and 25 when it gets out. :)

Yes it's quite alot and a tad expensive as he mentions race fuel is 30 kronor/liter, by now I'm sure that's up to 50-60 or so since the video is somewhere around 7-8 years old.

What happens in the UK when they turn off analogue radio in 2015?
32 million cars with no working radios, I have never seen an in-car DAB... plus normal DAB sounds like shit.

When they turned off analog TV over here the government provided coupons for converters. This might be more difficult to do with a car but I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was done.

Yeah, I can think of about six ways I could convert a car right now, and none of which involve a new head unit - so not an end-of-world issue.

^Hey spectre since you're here

How exactly do you do a emergency drill on your car? If you know, doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of preparing for the unexpected. And i know you're way too smart to pay someone to drain your brake fluid at random times. it just bugs me.

^Hey spectre since you're here

How exactly do you do a emergency drill on your car? If you know, doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of preparing for the unexpected. And i know you're way too smart to pay someone to drain your brake fluid at random times. it just bugs me.

What?

If the brakes die you engine brake. That can be practiced without draining the fluid.

Thank you thank you thank you.... I know the block is a 2.2L ANN but do they mention anything about it's current displacement? I had heard some stories around the campfire that suggested it had been De-Stroked down to a smaller displacement in order to achieve those revs.

What?

If the brakes die you engine brake. That can be practiced without draining the fluid.

i wasn't serious about that last part, my fault,forgot to add the :p

still here's his post
That said, most people the world over are idiots and unless they've been exhaustively trained on what to do in such an emergency, they will freak out/panic and 'thrash' about uselessly. Those that don't, often freeze up. Many people do not react well to nasty surprises; more importantly, people do not think about what to do in case of an emergency ahead of time. I think that something like this is probably responsible for the guy not being able to stop his car - he freaked out, hadn't thought of what to do ahead of time at all and in the stress of the moment his confused mind couldn't go through the steps necessary to figure out an effective course of action. This is the phenomenon that got a lot of US test pilots killed in the 50s and 60s before it was understood.

Moral of story: If you should find that you are one of the people who freeze or freak out under stress, learn what you should do in common car emergencies and practice it a lot so that it is easily accessed when you need it. Then practice it some more.

If you are not one of the people who freeze or freak out under stress, learn what to do and practice anyway. I am not one of the people who mentally locks up in an emergency (as I've found) but I still practice car failure drills and firearms failure drills. That way when I need them the skills are second nature.

How do you actually do one of those?

still here's his post

Pretend the brakes no longer work and engine brake or what have you.

This thread got me thinking. Does anyone in AU use utes as trucks. I mean i guess the Omega and SV6 make since as work-utes but i just can't imagine anyone with a SS or SS-V chucking a bunch of 2x4s in the back with their toolbox and heading off to their framing job (never mind trying that with the HSV Maloo). Or are utes your only real smaller truck like vehicle without moving all the way up to say a box truck? You guys do have pickup trucks right?

still here's his post

Argatoga got it - if a brake failure drill, pretend the brakes don't work and stop the car using alternative methods. You can also practice "stuck throttle", "engine cuts out" and other scenarios.

Thank you thank you thank you.... I know the block is a 2.2L ANN but do they mention anything about it's current displacement? I had heard some stories around the campfire that suggested it had been De-Stroked down to a smaller displacement in order to achieve those revs.
His entry on Garaget hints that it's only 2000 ccm and not 2,2 yep.
http://www.garaget.org/?car=144914

He has some other toys too (video includes perfect Stockholm dialect)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXqS7AAEPe4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTjoDuQGN3Y&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Fail at color choice, and driving.

Dear Car designers,

please stop putting fake diffusers that do nothing into/under the rear bumper of every bloody car because you think it makes them look "fast" but is just a normal Car that won?t even do 250 km/h and just couldn?t use one, even if it really had a real one.
Or I will come around and beat you to death with one of your wanna-be diffusers.

Thx a lot,

eFoo.

Last edited:
A diffuser is a cheap trick to achieve better fuel economy so I'm afraid you'll be seeing more of them in the future ;)