Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I did a car computer vs pump/odo MPG test after a country drive a few months ago. Normal driving (40-50 mph on average), not paying any special attention, distance of 97.5 miles in relatively hilly terrain. Finally found the receipt and crunched the data.

Computer: 27.7 mpg
Pump/Odo: 28.9 mpg

Color me surprised. I always thought the computer would vastly overestimate my mileage. Too bad I don't get that every day.

The 5GT is actually buit on the new 7 series platform. A friend of mine went to the 5GT launch where they went over that. Also if you compare the wheelbase and overall length of the new 7, 5GT and regular 5 it is pretty obvious that the regular 5 series can't be stretched that much.

I like to think of the 5GT as a crossbreed between the 7 and the X6

More like /6.5, you forgot to divide the X, common error when trying to interpolate car models :p

Last edited:
Someone who lives in my apartment building is failing miserably at getting an Infiniti I30 up a snowy driveway, one that my Jag with snow tires went up with no trouble. -1 to fail wheel drive and improper attire, and to having an apartment right above the garage.

Last edited:
I miss proper touring car racing. I just watched the highlights of the 1997 Bathurst Australian Touring Car Championship on youtube, and that was proper racing. There weren't just Falcons and Commodores, they had Audis, Alfas, Volvos, BMWs, Vauxhalls, Renaults, Peugeots, Fords and Holdens. And one of the Peugeots finished the race by being pushed over the line by the driver. Why doesn't that happen any more?

I don't like the V8 supercars. Whats the fun in a whole grid made up of only 2 types of car?

I miss proper touring car racing. I just watched the highlights of the 1997 Bathurst Australian Touring Car Championship on youtube, and that was proper racing. There weren't just Falcons and Commodores, they had Audis, Alfas, Volvos, BMWs, Vauxhalls, Renaults, Peugeots, Fords and Holdens. And one of the Peugeots finished the race by being pushed over the line by the driver. Why doesn't that happen any more?

I don't like the V8 supercars. Whats the fun in a whole grid made up of only 2 types of car?

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/02/17/volvo_850_btcc.jpg

Someone who lives in my apartment building is failing miserably at getting an Infiniti I30 up a snowy driveway, one that my Jag with snow tires went up with no trouble. -1 to fail wheel drive and improper attire, and to having an apartment right above the garage.

Go up in reverse. That is the trick in a FWD car. I did it all the time with the old Bonneville.

Passat in shop. Driving HHR. TINIEST windows ever. :rolleyes:

More proof of GM fail - they wanted to copy the PT Cruiser, so they hired the guy that designed the PT Cruiser away from Chrysler.

Somehow, GM then managed to make a PT Cruiser copy that was worse than the original PT Cruiser in every single respect.

Jesus fucking Christ, Pennsylvania. It's been a FUCKING WEEK since it snowed, can you PLEASE clear the fucking streets already? The snow in many areas has been rutted down to pavement - and the crustry crap in between the ruts is now a 4" thick sheet of ice - which is exactly the right height to smack my oil pan.

I know why they made the damned car so low and all, but was it really fucking necessary to use a wet sump system?

Jesus fucking Christ, Pennsylvania. It's been a FUCKING WEEK since it snowed, can you PLEASE clear the fucking streets already? The snow in many areas has been rutted down to pavement - and the crustry crap in between the ruts is now a 4" thick sheet of ice - which is exactly the right height to smack my oil pan.

I know why they made the damned car so low and all, but was it really fucking necessary to use a wet sump system?

I used to live in a small town in NW Pa and I am not kidding when I say that they only plow the streets on Mondays and Fridays. :rolleyes:

Not like they were going to spend money on a dry sump system on that car.

Also, this is why something with 8+" of ground clearance and thick skid plates is important for mobility in all conditions. :D