Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Last time I had to change the timing belt, I traded the car in. :p

I figure buying a car that uses a timing chain is better then right? At least from a cost/maintenance perspective?

/loves cars but doesn't know as much about them under the hood as he should:blush: :|

Why must i hate the interior of the Volvo 960? The rest is so beautiful.

I figure buying a car that uses a timing chain is better then right? At least from a cost/maintenance perspective?

/loves cars but doesn't know as much about them under the hood as he should:blush: :|

It depends on the car. In general, you are correct, but some cars have problems with timing systems. My XTerra is known for having problems with the chain tensioners.

Generally speaking, however: Belt driven < Chain driven < Gear driven*

* - I've never seen a car with gear-driven cams.

Yes in general timing chain better then belts but you still have to replace chains from time to time. I had to do a timing chain replacement on my 3800 series I motor in my Bonneville at around 130,000 miles cause the tensioner wore out.

It depends on the car. In general, you are correct, but some cars have problems with timing systems. My XTerra is known for having problems with the chain tensioners.

Early jag AJ-V8s have timing chain tensioner problems too and they are interference engines so boom when they break.

Very basic rough overview of the problem

I can't think of any regular production car with gear driven cams. Race cars sure but a normal production car can't think of one.

Yeah, and there have been various other vehicles with chain drive issues. Overall, though, chain drive is more reliable than belt.

I believe that there were a number of Italian cars with gear driven cams.

427sohc2.jpeg

Timing chains, fuck yeah!

Oh that is nothing.

Ford 4.0 SOHC motor has three or four different chains plus a couple cassettes and a couple of tensioners and that is just for TWO Cams.

Eng-TimingChain-ComponentsLocations1.gif

Go take a look at pics of some of the audi DOHC V6 chain setups or the AJ-V8 chain setups they are even more complicated.

Car's going to be ready in the morning. Wallet less so.

So random question. The HHR gear shifter goes: P R N D I L

What the heck is I? I'm assuming L is low gear, 2nd most likely. Went out for 40-45 miles in it today. It's not nearly as horrible as I expected. The only problem I personally have with it is the pedals are in a funny position for the size of my feet. Maybe I'm just not used to them, but it was actually tiring to drive. Steering is hilariously light though. I palm the Passat and this is just lulz. I haven't driven an American car in years.

I will fix cars for boobs. :lol:

I did do side work in college for dinner, deserts and other forms of barter.

:think: Hum, perhaps something could be worked out there. :p

Yep, maintenance on the Passat is a nightmare. Despite the cheaper pricetag, the maintenance costs the same as the Audi A4. Even the headlight bulb is buried well down into the housing, so it can't be reached without a tool.

THIS really pisses me off, especially since the headlight bulbs go all the freaking time.

Last edited:

What the heck is I? I'm assuming L is low gear, 2nd most likely. Went out for 40-45 miles in it today. It's not nearly as horrible as I expected. The only problem I personally have with it is the pedals are in a funny position for the size of my feet. Maybe I'm just not used to them, but it was actually tiring to drive. Steering is hilariously light though. I palm the Passat and this is just lulz. I haven't driven an American car in years.

:think: Hum, perhaps something could be worked out there. :p

THIS really pisses me off, especially since the headlight bulbs go all the freaking time.

Park, Reverse, Neutral Drive, Interesting low.

Maybe it has a seperate interesting mode. :lol:

Ah the joys of over boosted american power steering. Makes it so much easier to talk on the phone, drink your double big gulp, text, put on your makeup and eat a hot dog at the same time.

I am going to give you my standard cautionary audi speech. I give this too people all the time at work when they are looking at an Audi or I even think they are looking at an Audi.

Kind of late for you cause you already bought one but I will give it anyway.

Back before my wife and I got married she had this Audi 100 which really wasn't a bad car. It had made it 200,000 some miles and got good mileage. It had horribly uncomfortable seats though. God they were so bad.

This was in the early 2000s so the 100 had been out of production for about 10 years.

So the coolant expansion tank starts leaking. It has a crack where the outflow tube exits at the bottom. I call up the local Audi dealer and tell them I need a wholesale price on a part. We have never bought parts from that dealer before because in VA we don't work on a whole lot of Audis. The closest dealer was about an hour away.

I don't have an account of course so I give him my reseller number and he looks up the price as I get out my CC to pay for it. How much can it possibly be? It is a hollow bit of plastic about the size of my fist so a couple hundred bucks tops... :lol:

He gets me back on the line ok that will be 780 dollars. :blink:

meL Uh I said wholesale price jobber price man remember.

Him: That is a jobber price retail is $1185 :| :mad:

Holy crap.....

I told him he could keep his part.

I ended up fixing the tank with the highest temp epoxy I could find and a length of PVC pipe just a little smaller then the outflow tube port.

That worked for about another year till the motor finally let go.

Speaking of which, anyone else notice that those Toyota pedals cost them $15 and are sold for $115? Must have been one hell of an R&D effort.

Yes in general timing chain better then belts but you still have to replace chains from time to time. I had to do a timing chain replacement on my 3800 series I motor in my Bonneville at around 130,000 miles cause the tensioner wore out.

Early jag AJ-V8s have timing chain tensioner problems too and they are interference engines so boom when they break.

Very basic rough overview of the problem

I can't think of any regular production car with gear driven cams. Race cars sure but a normal production car can't think of one.

Interesting! Thanks and +Rep to both of you! :)

FlyDiscovery said:

Apparently I stands for Intermediate (its the first time i've heard of it too...)

HHR Owners Manual said:
I (Intermediate): This position is also used for normal driving. However, it reduces vehicle speed without using the brakes for slight downgrades where the vehicle would otherwise accelerate due to steepness of grade. If constant upshifting or downshifting occurs while driving up steep hills, this position can be used to
prevent repetitive types of shifts. You might choose I (Intermediate) instead of D (Drive) when driving on hilly, winding roads and when towing a trailer, so that
there is less shifting between gears.

This is not the 1st time I've discovered this, merely rediscovered it.*

Trying to sleep in a miata/mx-5/roadster is like dividing by zero.

*Scary thing is I've already known this and I keep trying it!

This is not the 1st time I've discovered this, merely rediscovered it.*

Trying to sleep in a miata/mx-5/roadster is like dividing by zero.

*Scary thing is I've already known this and I keep trying it!

Why would you sleep in a Miata? :blink:

Ford Essex and Cologne V6-engines both have gear-driven cams.

http://www.burtonpower.com/technical_1/essex_v4_v6.aspx
http://www.burtonpower.com/technical_1/taunus_cologne_v6.aspx
It's considered as a weakpoint in both.

Is it okay to put two different tires, thought with the same specifications, e.g. two Michelin Energy Saver in the rear, two other from another brand in the front, thought they're all 175/65 R14.

They fixed it in the BOB, the last incarnation of the Cologne, if I recall correctly.

Yep, they changed material in the gears.

Is it okay to put two different tires, thought with the same specifications, e.g. two Michelin Energy Saver in the rear, two other from another brand in the front, thought they're all 175/65 R14.

short answer: NO!
long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It's illegal to have different tyres on one axle, except in emergency situations.