Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Bit of a point of confusion there, Flydiscovery, did you mean that it only happens in warm weather or did the weather just happen to be warm when you noticed it?

Bit of a point of confusion there, Flydiscovery, did you mean that it only happens in warm weather or did the weather just happen to be warm when you noticed it?

Weather just happened to be warm when I noticed it. I don't generally let the car get too low on fuel so it's possible the situation never occurred earlier in the year though. Basically I can't rule out either the temperature or the incline as being factors or not. When the car started easily it was on a flat surface in morning/evening temperatures at least 15 degrees cooler.

So if we're being scientific about this (which we're not) I should:
a) attempt to start in warm weather on flat surface
b) cool weather on incline
c) back in to my spot

OR I could just put gas in the tank. :p

Spectre, I haven't opened the tank while in the parking lot at work yet, but can if it happens again.

If it continues to happen while full, I'll have to start really troubleshooting I guess. I'm way too broke to buy a new car or even to fix this one again. Sigh.

Last edited:
The MG6 is using a K-Series engine. :lol:

What else would they use?

The K-Series is a good engine. Hell I'll say it is a great one. They have a fantastic power to weight ratio. The reliably issues have been resolved (idiotic thermostat design, plastic dowels and the lot).

Last edited:
Why the fuck would you do this:

off-camber-vip2.jpg

I like VIP style, but this is just stupid.

Allright people, quick poll and I want honest opinions on this.

Would these wheels

11567_0.jpg

Look good on this car

DSC_1842.jpg

I ask you because I need summer tires and I have two choices:

1. Buy a brand new set of tires and mount them on the current stock rims.
2. Buy the set pictured above.

Everything else is out of my pricerange at the moment as I can't afford to buy tires and rims separately. The A8 replica set is very tempting, it's the correct size and with good tires for not much money. But I am still struggling if they fit my car.

This is just me, but I really dislike those Audi wheels...even on the new A8. I just don't like them.

^^^ Let someone do a photoshop first, but I think yes. They would look good.

Did a quick job...
DSC_1842copy.png

Im leaning towards...no....maybe its my chop...(I was bored)

:lol: that looks like those sporty hubcaps on JDM cars

I know I should just make an "I'm a moron" thread but all my random car questions are so pointlessly short and stupid I can't rationalize it. Car (02 passat) is difficult to start when parked on a slight incline while low on gas (< 1/8 tank, light is on) in warm weather (85F/30C). I'm hoping the solution is the obvious one and not indicative of some worse problem?

Its just the gas being low and it sloshing away from the pickup tube by the pump. It happens all the time with Volvos here at work and we have a VW store so it happens there sometimes too. Lots of little hills and inclines around here and lots of times cars only have an 1/8 or 1/4 tank of gas. On a steep enough incline a 1/4 tank will cause the same problem

Ahhh, another vote for the answer I like! Whoo hoo!

I'm going in for a few minutes today to finish some experiments. The tank is full and there was no wooshing when I filled up. Let's hope that's the only "problem."

If you lived here, it would look terrible, because EVERYONE and his mother fitted those wheel in various sizes to anything VW, Audi or SEAT related.

Its just the gas being low and it sloshing away from the pickup tube by the pump. It happens all the time with Volvos here at work and we have a VW store so it happens there sometimes too. Lots of little hills and inclines around here and lots of times cars only have an 1/8 or 1/4 tank of gas. On a steep enough incline a 1/4 tank will cause the same problem

That's why I never let my Volvo go under 1/4 of a tank.

I have a related story though. One time I was running really low on gas. Here is how the fuel gauge looks on a Volvo 850.
IMG_0138.jpg

My estimation was that I had 3 gallons in the tank, the needle just above the 2 gallon mark. Fuel light was not on. I decided to drive to my favorite gas station, which is 20 miles away. I figured - I have plenty of gas. When the light turns on, I'll have at least 40 miles before it's really empty.
Well, 10 miles into the trip, the gas light came on. No worries. I'm halfway there. But that needle...it looked really low! It dropped under the red line. That's when I started to sweat. Turned everything off - stereo, air con etc...

I made it, but that needle looked really scary. That's when I learned not to wait till the light comes on :) As a rule, I don't let it go under 6 gallons.

When I have 10 litres in the tank, the low fuel light comes on and goes off. At 9 litres, it stays on. 9 litres is good for more than 100km, so I usually tend to drive around a bit until getting fuel.

I have driven to work (30 miles) after the low fuel light came on. I have a 15 gallon tank which I put 14.6 gallons in that afternoon :lol:

Those wheels look good on A8s, but they're not really that well suited for an S8 imho.