Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Actually, I've found that the rich part of town is a bit more tolerant of neighbors.

Small, depressed PA outlying town: 4 people on the deck talking in hushed voices at 9PM = 2 police cruisers threatening to arrest you. God fucking forbid you use the swimming pool.
Same general area but in the outright wealthy, predominantly Jewish sector with million-dollar houses: 50 people having an absolute fucking RIOT with music audible outside the house, some outdoor yelling and even swimming pool use at 3AM = "Fuckit." Perhaps this is because rich people can afford to have their houses properly insulated?

Actually, I've found that the rich part of town is a bit more tolerant of neighbors.

Small, depressed PA outlying town: 4 people on the deck talking in hushed voices at 9PM = 2 police cruisers threatening to arrest you. God fucking forbid you use the swimming pool.
Same general area but in the outright wealthy, predominantly Jewish sector with million-dollar houses: 50 people having an absolute fucking RIOT with music audible outside the house, some outdoor yelling and even swimming pool use at 3AM = "Fuckit." Perhaps this is because rich people can afford to have their houses properly insulated?

rich people don't envy each other...

My friend and I are wondering whats a reasonably affordable car that could be built up for Targa Tasmania. He seems mad keen on an old Torana, but I'm thinking MX5.

Found out just how rusty the floor of my E30 is yesterday. When a friend of mine was climbing out of the back there was this metallic, grinding, crunch (if you've owned a rusty car you know the noise) and the floor beneath his foot dropped a couple inches. The carpet was probably the only thing that kept his foot from going through. :lol:

Anyway, I might just sell the thing instead of fixing it up. I hate doing floorpans. I should just buy an old truck or Caprice or something.

Those Cleveland vids reminded me of Halifax!

Found out just how rusty the floor of my E30 is yesterday. When a friend of mine was climbing out of the back there was this metallic, grinding, crunch (if you've owned a rusty car you know the noise) and the floor beneath his foot dropped a couple inches. The carpet was probably the only thing that kept his foot from going through. :lol:

Anyway, I might just sell the thing instead of fixing it up. I hate doing floorpans. I should just buy an old truck or Caprice or something.

Wait, weren't you recently very proud of buying the thing? :p

I hear Wolf Steel is looking for an exemplar to make 3-series floor pans from.

Also, how's the VFR coming?

You're not making a very good case for Texas if I'm honest.

Still, With the added fear of death by poisoning (there is not really that much to fear in middle-low class Tegucigalpa) and the fact that I'll be crushed driving my (Insert car no man would ever buy in Honduras but can get for cheap near D-FW, a 230 CE maybe) I'm not so sure, the fact that I won't get shot to death as soon as I get off the plane (perhaps) kinda evens it out again.Perhaps there is a way I could make it work, deep down I really like Texas.Besides, i think everyone is harder to piss off than you average Honduran.

On other note Spectre, Do you have time or resources for a XJ-C

Says the guy who was recently almost underwater, a few months after a drought :p

Texas lines up with me well politically, but not so much culturally. Not sure how I'd fare down there. Old cars that are not made of rust would be nice ...

I have to vent this before going to sleep: I saw TWO separate Ssangyong Rodius monstruosities within 20 minutes of each other today. Both hideous, and both hideously driven(or not); one carved up the bus I was in within a roundabout, and the other one was parked next to the sidewalk, but in a lane which was full of cars and buses trying to get past... and the driver was still inside, oblivious to the cars trying to pass.

I've been thinking a lot about changing my car in the future, seeing that everything in my life has gone pretty well so far (knock on wood!).

A few pages ago I was considering a Jag XK or Aston DB7, but I think I've found an alternative which is way more interesting and rare.

A late 80-s Lotus Esprit...a lot like this one:
630045-4.jpg

Their price range is $20-30k, depending on condition.
It has the 2.2 inline 4 engine with a Chargecooler (Yeaaah!) and around 260hp...

What could possibly go wrong?...Apart from the Renault gearbox :D
If worse come to worse, I'll fit a 2.3 Volvo Turbo and M56 gearbox...how hard could it be?

I've been thinking a lot about changing my car in the future, seeing that everything in my life has gone pretty well so far (knock on wood!).

A few pages ago I was considering a Jag XK or Aston DB7, but I think I've found an alternative which is way more interesting and rare.

A late 80-s Lotus Esprit...a lot like this one:
630045-4.jpg

Their price range is $20-30k, depending on condition.
It has the 2.2 inline 4 engine with a Chargecooler (Yeaaah!) and around 260hp...

What could possibly go wrong?...Apart from the Renault gearbox :D
If worse come to worse, I'll fit a 2.3 Volvo Turbo and M56 gearbox...how hard could it be?

It's a terrible idea, which is why you should do it. Yesterday.

Indeed. Doooooo Ittttt! :D

That's a 907 powered Esprit correct? When you rebuild the engine beef it up.

LOTUS = Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious

Go for it - brilliant cars much better than a 'manky' old Alfa any day - Alfa Suds ruined their exclusivity for me. Is WV a "cold"/"wet" state, if so old alfas will rot away before your very eyes.

It does get pretty chilly in the winter, and it snows a lot. This probably explains why I haven't seen a single Alfa in the state :)

The Lotus is just wishful thinking now. Possibly in 1-2 years. In the meantime I might upgrade to a Volvo Turbo, just to get used to driving a turbocharged car.

That's a 907 powered Esprit correct? When you rebuild the engine beef it up.

Rebuild it? I am not that crazy! Like I said - I'll probably swap it for something more reliable.

Last edited:
It does get pretty chilly in the winter, and it snows a lot. This probably explains why I haven't seen a single Alfa in the state :)

The Lotus is just wishful thinking now. Possibly in 1-2 years. In the meantime I might upgrade to a Volvo Turbo, just to get used to driving a turbocharged car.

Rebuild it? I am not that crazy! Like I said - I'll probably swap it for something more reliable.

It also helps that they haven't been sold here since the early 90s. I've only seen a couple of Spyders, not counting an Italian-theme car show I went to.

It also helps that they haven't been sold here since the early 90s. I've only seen a couple of Spyders, not counting an Italian-theme car show I went to.

There are 2 Alfas in the back of the local junkyard. I make a point not to walk back that way lest I get inappropriate urges to go buy a salvage titled Italian car.

Heh, as long as you realize the engine WILL die. According to the Jensen Healey guys you can rebuild it into a stronger engine for ~$2k.