Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Speaking of Honda, everytime I see a Honda Crosstour I'm overwhelmed by a sick feeling. Luckily I've only seen a handful so at least the vast majority of people have taste enough to not buy it. The few that do though...god help them. They aren't still making it are they?

Yes they are, dont worry, they've only sold about 15k of them this year. It can't last much longer.

I see Ford has just announced the 5.0 crate engine will be available soon. I wonder how hard it would be to put in my Mustang....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NEIN! NEIN! NEIN!

I see Ford has just announced the 5.0 crate engine will be available soon. I wonder how hard it would be to put in my Mustang....

Not much harder than swapping the engine in it with a similar one. I am considering doing the same with my Roadmaster. Now I just need to figure out how to get the independent suspension under it.

:think:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NEIN! NEIN! NEIN!

You do know the current engine it has in it is a 302 (5.0L) with about a wheezing 25-30% of the power output of that crate engine, don't you?

Not much harder than swapping the engine in it with a similar one. I am considering doing the same with my Roadmaster. Now I just need to figure out how to get the independent suspension under it.

:think:

Did the Fleetwood of the time have IRS?

You do know the current engine it has in it is a 302 (5.0L) with about a wheezing 25-30% of the power output of that crate engine, don't you?

Do you mean the new 5.0L crate or 302?

Do you mean the new 5.0L crate or 302?

Rereading what I wrote I see it wasn't very clear. :lol:

Let me try again:

You do know the current engine my Mustang has in it is an old 302 (5.0L) with about a wheezing 25-30% of the power output of the new 5.0 crate engine, don't you?

OK so by new 5L crate you mean the OHC Coyote, opposed to the OHV Windsor.

I hope you can get that engine in because old mustang is listed on my "things I would like as a second car" list and with that possible power upgrade that will be a fucking hell yes.

Rereading what I wrote I see it wasn't very clear. :lol:

Let me try again:

You do know the current engine my Mustang has in it is an old 302 (5.0L) with about a wheezing 25-30% of the power output of the new 5.0 crate engine, don't you?
Would you need to install all the computer gubbins or is it carbed? The new one that is because that would be a major deciding factor for me.

Thats the first thing that popped into my mind when I read that article this morning. someone really needs to do that swap with an older mustang.

Would you need to install all the computer gubbins or is it carbed? The new one that is because that would be a major deciding factor for me.

This is exactly what I am interested in. I have been wondering lately if you can can get a modern engine with it's awesome hp and have it still work without computer crap.

I am completely untrusting of computers build quality.

Computer run of course. Electronic ignition and fuel injection, etc. It could be converted to carb operation, but it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

You have a perfectly valid point, I thought the same thing, but I suppose I could put up with the little computer box to run the engine.

Ah O.K. makes sense now. I doubt EFI would be much of an issue, especially for a crate motor which is designed to be dropped into God knows what.

The only iffy bit would be getting the transmission to communicate with the engine. A swap to a modern 5 speed (or the new 6 speeds that come with the new 5.0s) should make that easier and would rid me of the annoying 3 speed. Of course at that rate I could just as well buy another old Mustang and do a full resto mod. (Why do I consider these things?)

If the bell housing fits I don't see an issue.

Did the Fleetwood of the time have IRS?

Not from what I can tell. In fact, acording to wikipedia, they used a truck rearend for a heavy duty version.

But I have a driveline and suspension from a car(including computer), I just have to figure out how to make it fit. Or just get a computer and trans from a Camaro/Firebird/TA, which I should be able to do some trades to get.

Most common IRS retrofit for the full-frame GM cars is a Jag IRS or Corvette IRS retrofit.

How much work is it to fit a Vette IRS? Including the trans and torque tube.