Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Speaking of E30 M3s, while helping a friend find a cheap reliable car I ran across some ads for those things. Wow $20k here for one in good shape.

I was toying with the notion of getting a 5 series BMW as my next car. What would be the generation to get - Late model E34 or E39? Also, what model would be the one to get 540i, 535i, etc.?

Many of the 4.0L V8s have/had the same Nikasil problems the later Jaguar V8s did.

I'd say a 535i E34 with a manual.

Many of the 4.0L V8s have/had the same Nikasil problems the later Jaguar V8s did.

I'd say a 535i E34 with a manual.

The 3.0 V8 was also affected wasn't it?

It wasn't offered in the states.

If you can, look at E39 530i '02 and newer. If that's out of your price range, I second the E34 535i with a manual.

Actually, it was. 92-until end of E34 production. And yes, the 3.0L V8 is prone to the same Nikasil problem - though they're rare cars in the US.

There is also the exceedingly rare E34 M5, a few of which made it to the US. They were powered by a 3.6L I6 engine and featured a 5 speed manual - but sometimes, with gray market versions and conversions being what they are, you can find a 6-speed unit instead. No automatic was offered for this M5.

Last edited:
They're hard to come by.

If you can, look at E39 530i '02 and newer. If that's out of your price range, I second the E34 535i with a manual.
The 3.0 V8 was also affected wasn't it?
Actually, it was. 92-until end of E34 production.

You don't want one if you do find one. The whole nikasil problem and all.

Besides a 535i is hardly faster than a 525i with the M52 in it (190hp vs 200hp, though torque is better on the 535)

So...I have been considering adding something to my mini, just to add some more flavor.

Stripes like this...

blacksportswithpinbonnetLG.jpg

632579764_zJ4pR-L.jpg

To show red on roof
DSCN0070.jpg

Or like this...
2513712626_c466765c05.jpg

2513712626_c466765c05.jpg

new_image_1.jpg

You don't want one if you do find one. The whole nikasil problem and all.

Besides a 535i is hardly faster than a 525i with the M52 in it (190hp vs 200hp, though torque is better on the 535)

In this market, the 535i was more commonly ordered with a stick than the 525, which was often used by female real estate agents and is usually found with a slushbox. The 525s are also more often found to have neglected maintenance, which is why so many are consigned to the junkyards in the DFW area - which is where airmenair is.

Last edited:
Yeah, they put the 6L80E automatic behind the LS6 in the Corvettes. Fortunately, you can get a conventional 6L80E transmission for that engine now instead of having to deal with the transaxle version. Look for a GM truck as a donor vehicle for that. If you want a front-mount manual for that engine, look for a CTS-V as a donor.

I never thought about the CTS. I don't want a manual though, it would be to much work to put the extra pedal in.

Dodged three mobile speedtraps in 1 day. The hits are coming dangerously closer.....last time cost me (my mother as I was in her car) some front rubber...fucking sneaky bastards with their civil cars parked at the side of the road.

I'll keep an eye out for a E34 535i. From the somewhat limited selection I saw on autotrader, it seems like you can get good examples for well under 10K, which would be my most realistic budget.

I hate to say it, but the 930 Turbo looks outdated parked next to a 928 (which still looks modern and contemporary), and it was probably worse in 1987 when that 928 S4 was brand new. Thoughts?

POSKUN041.jpg

Last edited:
Just got treated to the worst display of parking I've ever seen, some old woman trying to park a camper van outside my house.

Not only did she park on the right hand side of the road against the flow of traffic but she couldn't even park the thing in a space long enough to fit 2 of them easily. Its sticking into the road at a jaunty angle after 10mins of shuffling backwards and forwards, I watched from my bedroom window and all I could do was stare, it was that bad.
If I had a car parked out there I would actually have dashed outside and moved it out of her way, and it was a freaking automatic, she didn't even have to worry about clutch control and still fucked it up.

I just wish I had filmed it...