Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The 928 still looks a bit dated in real life.

OMG!!!! There's a silver RX-7 FD for sale on my street. It's just crazy, I've only ever seen an FD once before in my life and out of no where one suddenly appears 4 houses down from me and is for sale. Too bad I'm a poor 2nd year student... fall semester fees are due in 2 weeks.

90% of FDs have been ruined unfortunately.

I'll keep an eye out for a E34 535i. From the somewhat limited selection I saw on autotrader, it seems like you can get good examples for well under 10K, which would be my most realistic budget.

how many miles were you looking to have on it?

cause I found an m5...dont really know the condition though. they are really hard to find
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/1876564471.html

Last edited:
Diablo Motors a name you can trust.

Hmmm...the local dealer is willing to sell me a neat 2006 S60R with 110,000 miles in Black with Orange seats for $11,000...very tempting.

Realistically, I would rather find a early S40 1.9T...

I hate to say it, but the 930 Turbo looks outdated parked next to a 928 (which still looks modern and contemporary), and it was probably worse in 1987 when that 928 S4 was brand new. Thoughts?

POSKUN041.jpg

I want a 928. The GTS looks a touch better, but they all look pretty good to me.

Realistically, I would rather find a early S40 1.9T...

you actually wouldn't...the chassis is horrible, it understeers like a mofo, the brakes weren't all that great, and it didnt feel that solid (at least the one i had). I would go as far as arguing that your 850 is more fun to drive in the twisties. And should you choose to go with the auto, it is an archaic 4 speed. For cruising, its fine...it was a comfortable highway cruiser. The engine was a highlight; the turbo was fun at least (the engine was cool), and it sounded good on top of it all.

little bit of fun news though regarding of car ignorance on behalf of my parents....I told my parents I would eventually have an auto-x car. They suggested a cage racer, I said miata. They laughed. My dad thought the miatas were crap haha. I had a fun time explaining how miatas are consistently winning auto-x events in their class, and brought up the spec miata series. He was easily convinced that the miata is a good option. I told him to get one for himself, and haven't explicitly heard a no yet:lol:

Last edited:
you actually wouldn't...the chassis is horrible, it understeers like a mofo, the brakes weren't all that great, and it didnt feel that solid (at least the one i had). I would go as far as arguing that your 850 is more fun to drive in the twisties. And should you choose to go with the auto, it is an archaic 4 speed. For cruising, its fine...it was a comfortable highway cruiser. The engine was a highlight; the turbo was fun at least (the engine was cool), and it sounded good on top of it all.

little bit of fun news though regarding of car ignorance on behalf of my parents....I told my parents I would eventually have an auto-x car. They suggested a cage racer, I said miata. They laughed. My dad thought the miatas were crap haha. I had a fun time explaining how miatas are consistently winning auto-x events in their class, and brought up the spec miata series. He was easily convinced that the miata is a good option. I told him to get one for himself, and haven't explicitly heard a no yet:lol:

Let me know if you need me to drop by ;)

Locally owned garages/repair shops staffed/owned by older people. Ask around, they'll know what cars are around, who owns them, what shape they're in, and if anyone is looking to sell. Around here they all know the details of the older cars in the area.

Just ordered some prancing moose stickers :)

I got to autocross a Cooper S today. All I can say is "want".

I also got to check out the new Mini Countryman. Quite literally a Mini Cooper sized up. It certainly looks good, but I'm not sure about it. With all the seats up, it looked like there was less cargo room, and if you aren't using all the seats, then you might as well have a Cooper.

Last edited: