Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I have the sudden urge to own and drive the piss out of one of these:

Full_shot_Baja_bug.jpg

I just realized I'm going to have to use parts from five different cars and four completely different kinds of seats to just to adapt these pre-2001 Town Car seats work in my 2001 cop car. That's going to be a lot of work tomorrow....

I think I'm going to go to bed so I can head out to the junkyards 'early'. :p

On the Crown Vic note, I just visited Mercury's site and saw the 2010 Grand Marquis. Man, that thing really hasn't changed in ages

quick question, I was debating this with a mate of mine

is it true that RWD cars can turn sharper than FWD cars, because the front wheels can turn more, because they are not driven
my mate says that FWD cars can turn sharper, because the wheels that do the turning are powered

Which is true?

quick question, I was debating this with a mate of mine

is it true that RWD cars can turn sharper than FWD cars, because the front wheels can turn more, because they are not driven
my mate says that FWD cars can turn sharper, because the wheels that do the turning are powered

Which is true?

Rear wheel drive cars can turn tighter. There are CV joints at the front on FWD and they limit the turning radius a bit.

I was hoping to find a cheap, 1.3litre Alfa Romeo Spider, or am I being completely unrealistic?

How competent are you mechanically with cars? Will you have another means of transportation? Can you afford to take a car to the mechanic regularly? Alfa Spiders are notoriously bad in terms of reliability. They make super charged Triumphs look like the pinnacle of reliability.

So, Renault have the Sandero here now, i might just pop down to the showroom tuesday and have a look see, and also the Skoda Yeti if they have that as well

I was at the Jag dealer yesterday (just because it's Mercedes/Volvo/Jaguar) and I saw the new XJ in real life. It's big...really big, but also really nice.
I also saw for the first time an XF in BRG. I've seen black, silver and even maroon ones...but damn the BRG one is superb!

On the other hand...I saw a new Volvo XC90...R-Design. It had the big R-wheels (very similar to the Titans on the original T5-R) and was painted Ferrari red. It looked ridiculous. There was a C30 R-Design in the same color - that one I approved, but not the XC90.

Are Alfa Romeo 156s that bad? Is the face-lifted one better? What about Lagunas?

I don't know anything about the Laguna, but an 156 is a great car. I would look for a model made between september 1998 and 2001. Some of the cars built after 2001 shows that the FIAT group were financially fucked at the time. Just make sure the car has been properly serviced, and it should not cause you any more problems than another car the same age.

However be aware that I'm biased, and it would take a lot of me not to recommend buying an Alfa.

I have decided that instead of modifying my XTerra, I will put it on hold and start saving what little I can to purchase a teardrop camp trailer.

Large Mondeo is large. Seriously, it's like driving a room. Stuff gets worse with parking- try to park the Eiffel Tower and you're getting there.