Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

That's just a regular turbo making it still rather slow. I think like 9 seconds to 60? It's got plenty of miles and if the interior is chewed up it is probably not even worth 5k.

As far as speedy bugs go, the RSI will do 0-60 in 6.4 seconds thanks to it's VR6 so I think I would rather put the 5,000$ to an engine swap :D

Kat I'd only spend at most a couple grand. You could save up for a sports car to have in addition to the bug. An '80s MR2 can be had for under $2k.

For instance the MkVI GTI in the US doesn't get headlamp washers (bumper cutouts are there though...), backup camera, auto-dimming and auto-bending mirrors, rain sensor for the wipers, etc. Not that I'm complaining, you can get a whole new GTI plus whatever options do exist for under $30,000.

ALL of those are available everywhere in E-rope, but as you say, different people, different markets, etc

Well, it makes sense not to have that sort of stuff when you consider what most US car buyers are looking for. Value. Almost nobody is going to buy a 30k+ hatchback, they will move up to a larger car with less options rather than have a loaded penaltybox. Hyundai has been so massively successful here because they offered the most car for the least money. It may not have been the best, but cheap and big causes a lot of other sins to be forgotten.

Oh, and IMO, GTI > 1-series. If you have to get a BMW, the smallest I would consider is a 3.

very true, most Euros don't want/need a bigger size and would rather have a well equipped smaller model than a larger more standard one. Also our base car is REALLY basic, as in 4 cloth seats and wind up windows. No electric nothing, no air con, not even a radio on some brands...

So where does that leave me? With the overpriced Golf as my top choice. I'm 25, I'd rather buy something slightly reasonable now because who knows, I might be able to afford something properly nice in a few years' time instead of a Passat or entry level BMW.

I lol'd... if for you a GTI is the "reasonable" choice, what would be a zany one? For me a GTI would be an insane one, and that makes me cry a little inside.
Is there room in the sadbox for one more? :( ;-(

That's just a regular turbo making it still rather slow. I think like 9 seconds to 60? It's got plenty of miles and if the interior is chewed up it is probably not even worth 5k.

As far as speedy bugs go, the RSI will do 0-60 in 6.4 seconds thanks to it's VR6 so I think I would rather put the 5,000$ to an engine swap :D

5k for that is ridiculous. My car has 130 (diesel) hp and does 0-60 in a smidge under 10s. Plenty fast for my tastes, although I must admit some of the onramps Ive seen in this thread are a bit scary.... can't you just wait until you have a big gap and then merge in?

Kat I'd only spend at most a couple grand. You could save up for a sports car to have in addition to the bug. An '80s MR2 can be had for under $2k.

true, but it'll be made from plastic and rust only for that price

Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to buy a 1.0 K11 Micra in the UK? I have a feeling that despite cars being much cheaper over there, it will be considerably cheaper to insure one here for a young driver and hopefully balance the price out.
My mate is offerning me his 1999 example at ?550, although generaly they are more expensive than this (in good condition). If he sold it on AutoTrader or something it could probably fetch closer to ?700 and a dealer would shift one for about ?1000 or more.

I was looking at "Classic" insurance policies for pre 1989 cars but although they are cheaper, at around ?800 a year for a 1.3L Triumph Dolomite. And the car would cost the same as a Micra to buy at around ?700, I doubt I'd rack up ?1200 worth (the insurance differance) of servicing per year as long as I keep DIYing it!

Although I don't know if I'd want to force a 120 mile a day commute on to a 1970s saloon. Especialy if it breaks down in the middle of nowhere... in winter... at night... 60 miles from home! :lol:
And of course I'd then be driving a rwd saloon on thin tyres with no PAS or servo assisted brakes, or sychro on 1st gear in really early models! I reckon even my Proton Savvy learner car would be better... they might be on par when to comes to breaking down!<_<

ALL of those are available everywhere in E-rope, but as you say, different people, different markets, etc

very true, most Euros don't want/need a bigger size and would rather have a well equipped smaller model than a larger more standard one. Also our base car is REALLY basic, as in 4 cloth seats and wind up windows. No electric nothing, no air con, not even a radio on some brands...

I lol'd... if for you a GTI is the "reasonable" choice, what would be a zany one? For me a GTI would be an insane one, and that makes me cry a little inside.
Is there room in the sadbox for one more? :( ;-(

5k for that is ridiculous. My car has 130 (diesel) hp and does 0-60 in a smidge under 10s. Plenty fast for my tastes, although I must admit some of the onramps Ive seen in this thread are a bit scary.... can't you just wait until you have a big gap and then merge in?
On a limited access highway? No, that would be Illegal and dangerous because your sitting there completely stopped in the merge lane, meanwhile someone is coming up behind you at 50+ mph and most likely won't spot you until it is to late to stop.

My mate is offerning me his 1999 example at ?550, although generaly they are more expensive than this (in good condition). If he sold it on AutoTrader or something it could probably fetch closer to ?700 and a dealer would shift one for about ?1000 or more.

I was looking at "Classic" insurance policies for pre 1989 cars but although they are cheaper, at around ?800 a year for a 1.3L Triumph Dolomite. And the car would cost the same as a Micra to buy at around ?700, I doubt I'd rack up ?1200 worth (the insurance differance) of servicing per year as long as I keep DIYing it!

Although I don't know if I'd want to force a 120 mile a day commute on to a 1970s saloon. Especialy if it breaks down in the middle of nowhere... in winter... at night... 60 miles from home! :lol:
And of course I'd then be driving a rwd saloon on thin tyres with no PAS or servo assisted brakes, or sychro on 1st gear in really early models! I reckon even my Proton Savvy learner car would be better... they might be on par when to comes to breaking down!<_<

The triumph has so much of an advantage in the "awesome" department that it all balances out quite nicely (says the man who has never owned a car older than 1996).

Bah get something cool like a TR7. :p

Hence why I haven't done anything yet. I honestly haven't even price checked an engine swap as of now. Though really having 2 cars would probably be worse money wise due to insurance and I do not own the driveway, so it would have to be something mother approved if I want to get away with storing it here.
The people behind you will get out of their car and murder you within 5 minutes of waiting.

Some assface have managed to back into my Subaru and leave a big dent on the rear hatch. I have a fairly good lead on who did it too, just gonna wait until he tries another one of his stunts on the parking lot.

$5k? Shit, for $5k I'll come pick up your bug and do the engine swap for you. A pick-and-pull VR6 is only a couple hundred bucks.

I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this since we don't have a "Go Buy a Lottery Ticket, You Lucky Bastard" thread.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/09/16/lucky.jpg

EDIT: Before anyone starts in on the design of the guard rail, this wreck appears to have happened on a remote stretch of road. The USDOT (US Department of Transportation) has known for years about the hazards of the old guard rail end-treatments and we now install energy absorbing end caps. Due to the vast number of roads in our country, we simply have not been able to retrofit every guard rail. As the old guard rails are replaced or repaired the new energy absorbing ends are installed. This guard rail will be replaced with the new style.

Last edited:
Yep, mine's in the process of self-grenading right now. It should have 170 hp, but it's an ?berdurpy gutless turd at the moment, so...yeeeeaaaahhh nooooo. The leaky exhaust manifold probably doesn't help, but the engine's going to die before I even graduate, so I can't really see the point in putting any money into fixing it.

Just curious...if you step on the throttle, does it spin the wheels from a standstill?

$5k? Shit, for $5k I'll come pick up your bug and do the engine swap for you. A pick-and-pull VR6 is only a couple hundred bucks.

:lol:
I know someone mentioned that VR6's were not all that expensive to me a few years ago, but I didn't have an exact number on that but I figured engine + labor would be 5k or less. I wouldn't want to do it myself because idk enough and the car would explode.

Am I the only one who sees a problem with doing a VR6 swap on a daily driver Beetle. The RSi wasn't just a normal bug with a VR6, suspension, 4WD, brakes, cooling etc. and it was still a lousy car, reliability wise.