Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

My Spyder still has a rogue spider inside it; it made a brief appearance while I was washing the car today and disappeared again. Yo dawg and all that.

Since the spider in my car keeps changing sizes it is many spiders, but I had a spider knowing person confirm the harmlessness of them so I am not going to bother with them as long as they don't decide my car is tasty too.

Plastic bumpers SUCK!

I was out off roading and came up on a tree that I wasn't about to try to chop up with my little axe, the trail is so narrow that I had trouble turning around. A small Aspen tree (about one inch diameter) near the road had a bend in the trunk below my fender line, which caught my bumper when I was trying to back up. This stick of a tree managed to tear 30% of my bumper off. Fortunately, I "fixed" it with a couple zip-ties until I get get a steel bumper.

Time for manly bumper!

xterra-bumper.jpg

*grunt*

Yeah, I'm hoping for a steel bumper by the end of the year. I may have a line on a custom 1-off used bumper or maybe a low-cost prototype.

Don't forget the ninjas.

Yeah, it is pathetic that a vehicle like the XTerra has a bumper cover that is held on by only a half-dozen plastic tabs.

Once I get the steel bumper I want I will be able to turn wandering deer into high-protein shakes at 65 mph.

My Spyder still has a rogue spider inside it; it made a brief appearance while I was washing the car today and disappeared again. Yo dawg and all that.

You should capture and design a shifter around it.

Last edited:
No unfortunately I have a very useless toothless dog. My mother is allergic to cats.
And it's not stuck it was rather out in the open then ran back behind where the heater vents are :|

No unfortunately I have a very useless toothless dog. My mother is allergic to cats.
And it's not stuck it was rather out in the open then ran back behind where the heater vents are :|

Edit: I am amazed at the daftness of the general population. I say "there is a mouse in the engine bay" and they say "stop leaving food in the car" WHY WOULD THERE BE FOOD IN THE ENGINE BAY. I think I would notice the big gaping hole in the dash required for a mouse to get from the engine to the passenger compartment.

You don't cook dinner while you drive? Where is your sense of adventure? I have. You put it right around the exhaust manifolds and on the intake. Just make sure you clean up after. ;)

Once I get the steel bumper I want I will be able to turn wandering deer into high-protein shakes at 65 mph.

There's a joke involving a certain Slovenian in there, somewhere... :p

Also, I finally got a chance to drive on the road. For all of half a mile. In front of my old elementary school.

It's a start.

They sold the Exploder in the U.K?
They sold it in Australia for a while too in RHD. It was actually quite popular - it was the same size as the other big 4x4s such as the Patrol and Landcruiser, but it cost less. However, while you still see late 90s early 00s Patrols and Landcruisers going around, there aren't many Explorers gracing the roads any more.

It was the last US Ford to be sold here, if that explains it.

They sold the Exploder in the U.K?

They did, and I seem to remember Ford having unintended acceleration problems with some.

Blind, get some steel on there pronto. Over the last 2 years my front bumper has taken a lot of abuse but only the paint was damaged, and a tin of rattle can satin black soon sorted that out.

Last edited:
It was the last US Ford to be sold here, if that explains it.

Ah so it wasn't just the Roger Dean Edition Taurus which bombed there. (Props to anyone who understood that without research).

Didn't they replace the Exploder with a Falcon based thing?

Didn't they replace the Exploder with a Falcon based thing?

They have the Territory crossover.

Fun Fact: Apparently a reason why it was given the green light by execs in Dearborn was because it resembles the late Ford Freestyle/Taurus X so closely in terms of styling.

saw the weirdest thing today

drove behind a brand spanking new M3, and he drove perfectly sensible. No tailgating, no needless acceleration, no hogging the left lane, no nothing...
That's a first.