Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

What did you end up buying?
I am sure you posted it, but I am lazy and don?t wanna search. :p

A brand spankin' new Golf GTI! In a colour I'm sure will not be a popular choice among FinalGear-ers. :p

I actually want to do a custom order when I do buy a new car. (not anytime soon) Just to be different from everyone who buys off the lot, and you get a car just how you want it.

Well, I wouldn't buy a car that wasn't exactly what I wanted just to get it quickly. I got exactly the colour and options I wanted on the GTI... I think unless you're looking at more expensive cars where there's countless available colours and options you don't need to order it from the factory to get what you want, it seems like all local dealers are perfectly willing to sell you each others' cars.

Anyway, who gives a shit, because my car is going to be ready in half an hour!!!!!1!!!1!11 It was supposed to be tomorrow afternoon, but I woke up today and looked outside and found out the weather is perfect, not a cloud in the sky. I knew I had to get my car today... tomorrow the weather is supposed to turn crap so I knew it was going to happen today. And it did.

:driving:

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
I saw an XJ VDP with chrome side mirrors, why?

Pulled over for 41 in a 35. There was a school zone (I think that's what the trap was for) but I completely stopped before the sign, so I don't think I was technically in it. Especially since I got a warning :dance:

Win all around, I'm not fucked over for a minor mistake, and it certainly scared me enough that I will be much more careful in that area.

Pulled over for 41 in a 35. There was a school zone (I think that's what the trap was for) but I completely stopped before the sign, so I don't think I was technically in it. Especially since I got a warning :dance:

Win all around, I'm not fucked over for a minor mistake, and it certainly scared me enough that I will be much more careful in that area.

The speed zone starts at the sign, and in some states isn't enforceable until a few hundred feet past it to give time to slow down.

A brand spankin' new Golf GTI! In a colour I'm sure will not be a popular choice among FinalGear-ers. :p

Well, I wouldn't buy a car that wasn't exactly what I wanted just to get it quickly. I got exactly the colour and options I wanted on the GTI... I think unless you're looking at more expensive cars where there's countless available colours and options you don't need to order it from the factory to get what you want, it seems like all local dealers are perfectly willing to sell you each others' cars.

Anyway, who gives a shit, because my car is going to be ready in half an hour!!!!!1!!!1!11 It was supposed to be tomorrow afternoon, but I woke up today and looked outside and found out the weather is perfect, not a cloud in the sky. I knew I had to get my car today... tomorrow the weather is supposed to turn crap so I knew it was going to happen today. And it did.

Congrats! What color is it?

I hope that's for a whole year, right?

Yes thank god. that's also for my car with last year's miles so it should hopefully be lower.
Funfact, my insurance was over 3k a year when I first started

Well according to the site they only come in 2 actual colors, red and blue then various hues of black, white and 2 greys. So the ugly in the range would imo be the greys since GTIs are one of the few cars that can look nice in boring black and white. They should come in mellow yellow. :D

Crossposting from my PYC thread as I figure the Random Thoughts crowd will have a giggle at seeing what exactly broke my engine.

37c59295.jpg

Note: For long piston and engine life, try using fuel injection instead of Torx bit injection. The more you know!
How did that torx bit get there....?

I am gonna get a ticket for this one day. Every day I drive past this elementary school. Speed limit is usually 35mph, but when the lights are flashing it is 15mph. However, the sign with the flashing lights is a good 4-5 feet above the regular street sign height, and is surrounded by a telephone and electric pole. I never see this sign when I am driving along.

One day I was driving through there, and I saw a school bus...I kept driving and I thought - "I wonder if the lights were flashing?" I looked in my rearview - yep, they were. :D

VDPs have had chrome side mirrors all the way back to the Series III. That's not new.

This was an X300. If I ran Jaguar this would be my policy: if a customer orders chrome mirrors they are to be shot dead on the spot.

This was an X300. If I ran Jaguar this would be my policy: if a customer orders chrome mirrors they are to be shot dead on the spot.

X300s, X305s, and X308s in VDP trim all have chromed or stainless steel side mirror covers. Even my dad's XJ12 has them. That's just how they came from the factory - they weren't special order or anything, that's the default factory config.

Fortunately, you can swap them out for the painted plastic covers pretty easily.

Last edited:
X300s, X305s, and X308s in VDP trim all have chromed or stainless steel side mirror covers. Even my dad's XJ12 has them. That's just how they came from the factory.

All of them did? If so I will have to change what my policy would be: if a designer suggests putting on chrome mirrors they are to be shot dead on the spot.

All of them did? If so I will have to change what my policy would be: if a designer suggests putting on chrome mirrors they are to be shot dead on the spot.

All of them. Been that way since the XJ40. Before that, they all had chromed mirrors. The regular models and the R-cars lost the chrome/stainless exterior mirrors during the XJ40 run as a way to differentiate between those and the VDP/Daimler cars - and to save money, IIRC.

And yes, that means my Series III has them as well.

Last edited:
My insurance is down to 1050$! fuck yes. If they only knew how I drove....

How young are you?

Crossposting from my PYC thread as I figure the Random Thoughts crowd will have a giggle at seeing what exactly broke my engine.

37c59295.jpg

Note: For long piston and engine life, try using fuel injection instead of Torx bit injection. The more you know!

*facpalm*

How, and why did that happen?