Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

There is just so much wrong with this article. Not that I promote drifting on the streets, but how is this case different from all the other people that die every day in car accidents?

Whether it is a drunk driver, lousy driver texting, street racer...it makes no difference - the end result is that someone dies. There is no need to target street racers in particular and label them as a disease.

Well, streetracing is illegal and should be considered a disease, just like driving drunk. It doesn't really surprise me that the wannabe drifter bandwagon is starting to get people killed. It is the latest trend. It's the same thing after the first Fast and Furious movie came out and every Civic on the road started getting giant wings and NOOOOSSSSSS.

I despise the whole drift scene, btw. I hope it dies and dies soon. :lol:

I think drifting is pretty awesome...in the right time and place. That place isn't a public road, dammit.

Lift off oversteer?

So getting the tire patched today and driving to see my grandma. Only thing, I don't exactly know what to do with the flat tire. Right now it's in my trunk under the floor, where the temporary spare tire normally lives. It doesn't fit in the well the whole way so all the items in the trunk are haphazardly placed around the lump in the floor. Should I take the flat tire out of the trunk before I go to the tire place or should I take all my items out? :S

Parked car with roof down, rain came down for a few minutes before I could put it up. Well crap. Luckily it was a light drizzle, but damp interiors suck.

I left the drivers side window of my girlfriends 2003 miata down in a tropical storm. She still hasnt quite forgiven me...

I swear every time I see that merc video it gets more awesome. But yeah I know the difference between drifting and sliding.

I love the way drifting is referred to as though it is an illicit drug in that article. "I've never heard of it, but all the kids are doing it". I blame this newfangled rock and roll.

It reminds me of an article in the Sydney Morning Herald a while ago, it had something to do with marijuana, and every time it was mentioned, it was put in inverted commas, and the writer wrote something along the lines of, "marijuana is inhaled through a pipe, apparently known as a 'bong'". As if they didn't know what it was.

But still, the street is no place for drifting or any street racing. But that doesn't mean that it's something that is a menace to society.

Sliding a FWD is just playing with fire. Sure it can slide, and you can control it most of the time, but once you get past a certain angle, there is no way of controlling it after that point. You are hitting the tree!

I wish they would make more tracks. I bet less people would die from such idiocy if they had a place to legally be idiots with no old ladies crossing the street.

I wish they would make more tracks. I bet less people would die from such idiocy if they had a place to legally be idiots with no old ladies crossing the street.

Said old lady will move next to the tack and then have it closed down for being too loud.

The Astra is having some interesting electrical-based problems. The battery failed a while ago, the car behaving as though it was having an epileptic fit, leaving my mother stranded until the NRMA came and replaced the battery. Since then, the windows have not been working properly. The auto up/down function no longer works and the hold-button-on-keyfob-and-windows-go-up/down thing now only works on the front nearside window.

Is this something that will have to be fixed at the dealer? I presume it is because it appears to be a problem within the computer.

EDIT: Never mind, it's fixed now. I put the windows up and down a few times, and its working again. Supposedly this happens with all cars with electric windows when the battery is disconnected, which makes sense.

Last edited:
I don't see why houses next to tracks aren't hyped up as view properties and marketed more towards car nuts who'd appreciate the location.

Of the things I could see out my window, Porsches > mountains. Fact.

I don't see why houses next to tracks aren't hyped up as view properties and marketed more towards car nuts who'd appreciate the location.

Of the things I could see out my window, Porsches > mountains. Fact.

They are here in Texas. See: Motorsport Ranch, Racers Ranch and even the condos At Texas Motor Speedway. In less enlightened or NIMBY/BANANA-infested states, they're not. Even in some Texas cities, they're like that - which is why we STILL don't have a track in the West Dallas floodplain.

Last edited:
Flood plains are for floods, not houses!

This is an obscure in joke referencing one of the two things I remember from Geology 110. The other thing is that glaciers are like bank accounts.

I should go to bed.

Flood plains are for floods, not houses!

This is an obscure in joke referencing one of the two things I remember from Geology 110. The other thing is that glaciers are like bank accounts.

I should go to bed.

The floodplain is now protected by enormous levees. We built a giant football stadium there decades ago without problems, there's no reason we shouldn't put a racetrack there. Especially now that we've torn down the stupid temple of hand-egg that they were never able to finish the roof on. :p