Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I am tempted by a clean, low mileage MG ZR 160

Last edited:
Well, I simulated the proper tool (which isn't cheap and has a long lead time) by attacking a cheap 30-something-millimeter socket with a die grinder. Works great. :D
That's what Harbor Freight sockets are for. They certainly aren't for use as-is.

That's what Harbor Freight sockets are for. They certainly aren't for use as-is.

No joke. Unfortunately, the local HF was closed when I decided to do this, so I bought the AutoZone-sold Duralast brand instead. Much the same thing - it wasn't very durable and the socket metal didn't last long. :p

I have made an analysis today!
Question: What would happen if a car slid off the jack during wheel change?
Conslusion: A loud noise manifested itself and cursing followed.
Summary: GM cars do not suffer damage after falling off jacks, which is good considering the jacks supplied by GM sucks enormously.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/10/31/41Y1913AP4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
GM suckiness.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/10/31/229500_b.jpg
Opposite of GM suckiness.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/10/31/229500_b.jpg
Opposite of GM suckiness.

Yes, because obviously all non GM cars come with one of those :rolleyes:
Pretty much every factory supplied jack I have ever seen was just as crappy as the GM example you trolled.......

The Jaguar jack is pretty much perfect. It has a ratcheting handle and slides into a socket in the chassis so it doesn't slip.

Last edited:
I have made an analysis today!
Question: What would happen if a car slid off the jack during wheel change?
Conslusion: A loud noise manifested itself and cursing followed.

I've had the Volvo fall from a hydraulic floor jack. Car fell on the rotor. I thought that nothing was broken, but after a year it turned out that it did some damage to the spring seat (strut mount, if you wish), which subsequently suffered from going through the potholes in Jersey City and ultimately failed.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/10/31/41Y1913AP4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
GM suckiness.

Basically every car in our family has had that jack. Honda, Nissan, Subaru, and Ford. :dunno:

They're small, they get the job done eventually, and they fit in the spare tire holder. Remember spare tires? Remember when cars were actually equipped with those?

I have a spare tire, it's cumbersome and in the way when I want to get my useless jack out of it's styrofoam fortress. If I were a car maker I'd use the spare tire well for clever boot storage and just leave a small note with the number to the assistance hotline in it. :yes:

I have a spare tire, it's cumbersome and in the way when I want to get my useless jack out of it's styrofoam fortress. If I were a car maker I'd use the spare tire well for clever boot storage and just leave a small note with the number to the assistance hotline in it. :yes:

As someone from a rural-ish area, I know that is not going to work.

Though a spare tire delete for you city folk is probably a good idea.

My Dakota has a similar system - I LOVE the ratchet bit. Unfortunately it's a flat platform top on the jack since you can jack anywhere along the frame rail and not giveashit. However, it doesn't reach most of the framerail on the 4x4 trucks - just a lowered portion of it up under the front doors - you have to put the jack on bricks to jack from the frame rail in the rear (their suggested jack point is the mounting block for the lolsprings. UH NO.)

Does anyone have any impressions from Kumho Ecsta AST?

Does anyone have any impressions from Kumho Ecsta AST?

Tire Rack and I both agree that they're terrible in the rain for all-season tires. I spun out in my MR2 on a wet road without really pushing it, so I can't recommend them.

Last edited:
Got some crap on my rear tires a few days ago. A whole heap of rain didn't wash any of it off, and I took my car to an automatic car wash today and that also failed to do anything.

Any idea how I can remove it? The car wash scrubbed the tires good, that's the only idea I'd have had myself. It's like the stuff you get whenever you drive through some gravel, except that it's impossible to wash off.