Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The GL500 has a weaker generator/alternator than your VT, though.

Really? I thought the GL500, unlike it's twin the CX500 was supposed to have a beefed-up alternator that could power all kinds of accessories.

It's still weaker - the CX engine used an internal mount alternator that of necessity was constrained by space.

Your Nighthawk has a much more powerful one, being externally mounted, IIRC.

Edit: The CX used a 150W alternator and the GL variant had a 252W one. Your Shadow produces 350W. See this link for details: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ascotvt500enthusiasts/message/11614

Both of our Nighthawks have units conservatively rated at 280W but which have been observed to produce 320. Static stock load is about 90W, I've got mine down to 40, allowing much reserve. :D

Last edited:
It's still weaker - the CX engine used an internal mount alternator that of necessity was constrained by space.

Your Nighthawk has a much more powerful one, being externally mounted.

I thought the CB650sc didn't even break even on charging until like 2500rpm.

It is impossible to find 15" Enkei RPF1s used, I can't bring myself to spend $800 on new rims for a $4,000 car!

They're nice though. Nothing similar but cheaper?

I thought the CB650sc didn't even break even on charging until like 2500rpm.

Few modern or even recent bikes do. Those numbers, as with all alternators, are peak output. Starting with the 1969 CB750, most bikes start charging much below 2500-3000 as a rule of thumb. Newer bikes are better as they have lower electrical loads with HID and LEDs out of the box, and more powerful alternators being mounted.

Which is why it's entirely possible to kill your battery if you idle too long, even on some of the very latest machines from Japan or Europe.

Last edited:
Few modern or even recent bikes do. Those numbers, as with all alternators, are peak output. Starting with the CB750, most bikes start charging much below 2500-3000. Newer bikes are better as they have lower electrical loads with HID and LEDs out of the box, and more powerful alternators being mounted.

Which is why it's entirely possible to kill your battery if you idle too long, even on some of the very latest machines from Japan or Europe.

I see, and knocking 50w off your bike's stock load, that's thanks to the LED's and the HID, right?

I see, and knocking 50w off your bike's stock load, that's thanks to the LED's and the HID, right?

Yup. Headlight went from 55W to 35W, dumping the 1034 bulbs up front saves me ~7W each (and if the turn signal is on instead of just the marker, it saves me 22W!), the taillight 1034 saves the same, the rear turnsignals save me ~5W each, you get the idea. Each one of the dashboard illumination 194s I replaced with 1W LEDs saves me a little under 3W, etc., etc.

Every little bit helps.

Last edited:
Well, now I know what I'm gonna be doing with that bike. :D

Yeah. I didn't convert the bike just because it "looks cool". I did it because I wanted to reduce the power consumed and the heat generated (especially in and around the nigh-irreplaceable instrument pod!) in order to preserve components. Looking cool is a happy side effect and the hugely improved light output is a nice safety bonus. (Ask CJ about how much brighter my dashboard turn signal repeaters are than his own, for example.) I recommend that anyone with a marginal electrical system or older vehicle consider converting to LEDs (at a minimum) as a matter of course now. (Though you still have to use your head in selecting bulb types. :D )

Last edited:
images

It's like a moped except better in every way.

Except for how slow POS mopeds don't need to be registered and insured. :p If I am using it only to maybe go to the bank which is 3 miles from my house at farthest and all the roads in between are residential 30 mph ones any way it's silly to get a real motorcycle.

I already replaced the tail/brake light on the VT with an LED bulb I got at the auto-parts store. It was a tight fit, looked a bit brighter, but the light was more concentrated in one area of the lense then dispersed.

Another thing was that the "tail-light out" light on the dash came on. Pardon the James Mayish question here, but how do you handle that? Do you remove the waring bulb? add a resistor? ignore it?

I already replaced the tail/brake light on the VT with an LED bulb I got at the auto-parts store. It was a tight fit, looked a bit brighter, but the light was more concentrated in one area of the lense then dispersed.

Another thing was that the "tail-light out" light on the dash came on. Pardon the James Mayish question here, but how do you handle that? Do you remove the waring bulb? add a resistor? ignore it?

Let's just take this over to GenMoto because it's not so random any more - though it also applies to auto taillights. I have to step out, but will be back in a bit.

Was at my local Lordco and noticed a small display with green bottles that said LHM. Being kind of suprised I picked one up and read on the back "approved for all Citroen hydraulic suspensions", which is what I thought it was.

Is there many other uses for LHM or is my local autoparts store randomly stocking hydraulic fluid for 30+ year old french cars?

To be fair if you've got one customer with a 30 year old French car who's loyal, you're set for life.

To be fair if you've got one customer with a 30 year old French car who's loyal, you're set for life.

:lol: The man has a point there.

I need some sort of moped because I can only walk 0.3 miles because of health issues no one wants to hear about. What is a good cheap moped that will make up for my inability to walk?

Honda Gyro or Elite 50 moped variant. But I think more the Gyro.
3330331333_3479fc8d53.jpg

Unlikely to tip over and spill you even in winter, and it still leans like a proper bike. And yes, they're gasoline powered.

Last edited:
Honda Gyro or Elite 50 moped variant. But I think more the Gyro.
3330331333_3479fc8d53.jpg

Unlikely to tip over and spill you even in winter, and it still leans like a proper bike. And yes, they're gasoline powered.

The internet says I can only have parts for that. I do not think building one will go well. :(
I'll just search for cheap crappy mopeds in general I suppose.

I will look for this instead then. Maybe I can find one used for cheaper.

Last edited:
you might even be able to fit this in the trunk of a car. i think it's the scooter that hammond and may used when they did that "drive home the drunk people in their own cars" thing a few years back.