Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I agree. I hate how 99% of aftermarket headunits look.

That's because 99% of aftermarket headunits try to appeal to this lot:

http://img5.imageshack.**/img5/9485/ricer1qs4.th.jpg

I finally managed to figure out how to remove the stock headunit on my car. Now that the old one's out, I need to get a new one.

A store near my work has this for $299:

*Aftermarket head unit that actually looks like it's intended for someone over the age of 17*

Its a little more than the JVC I was looking at, but you guys reckon its worth it?

Dooo It. It looks like it'll be decent to use while in motion unlike 99% of the other head unit's I've seen/used

Huge markdown is huge! DO IT! :p

So, today I paid $42.50 -ish AUD to fill up my Jazz's itty bitty tank from roughtly 3/4 empty. That's the most I have ever paid to fill up my car since I got it. Last time I filled up from around the same mark was just over $35.00 AUD. Thankyou very much Libyan Crisis and long weekend profiteering!

I don't know if it's the most I've paid but I paid around 35 bucks 2 weeks ago to fill up my car. I was disappoint. :(

That's because 99% of aftermarket headunits try to appeal to this lot:

http://img5.imageshack.**/img5/9485/ricer1qs4.th.jpg

The current Pionner range looks like ass.

This was what I was originally going to get, and it looks ok:

jvc-double-din-mp3-cd-player-sku-51973-large.gif

Last edited:
The one I just got for the mitsu (Got nicked and got another one) looks like this

See, that's what I'm talking about, flashy chrome and blue lights. It looks like some kind of visualizer that will blink and be annoying. It's not as bad as some I've seen, but I would hate having that in my car.

I don't know Blind, I got it becaue it was the only one that had all the features I wanted that wasn't overly tacky or that had hopeless red light that looks unnatural. I will give you that while during the day is quite alright at night it lights up the cab like a friggin battlefield, and the only other lighting option is some kind of puke green.

I have no regrets on buying it twice.

Last edited:
I'm also seriously considering this:

CDE100eub.jpg

since the install would work out a fair bit cheaper than the double-din unit, and it still has all the functions I want. Plus its an Alpine, and it doesn't look like ass.

Wouldn't a single Din leave a giant gaping hole in your dashboard?

This is the one I got for the Camaro:

JVC-KD-R710

KD-R710_1.jpg

I don't know Blind, I got it becaue it was the only one that had all the features I wanted that wasn't overly tacky or that had hopeless red light that looks unnatural. I will give you that while during the day is quite alright at night it lights up the cab like a friggin battlefield, and the only other lighting option is some kind of puke green.

I have no regrets on buying it twice.

To each his own. I don't know squat about the features and if the look doesn't bother you, who am I to argue? It's just not my cup of tea.

Stupid question time: The antenna connector is all standardized right? I don't have a powered antenna, which means I don't need to worry about the harness, so I'm guessing all I need to do is plug in the 3.5mm-looking jack from the factory antenna into the back of my new headunit?

The plug on mine is like the one in the RHS of this photo:

Car_audio_antenna_adapter_for_toyota.jpg

better photo:

SU-6XS.JPG

Mine isn't a windwhield antenna.

Last edited:
To each his own. I don't know squat about the features and if the look doesn't bother you, who am I to argue? It's just not my cup of tea.

Indeed.Different strokes for different folks. If you don't mind me asking, what do you have on your X?

There are two different sizes of antenna connector that are shaped like that, and my old MR2 had both, one for my windshield antenna and the other for the normal stick-up one. You can easily buy an adapter if it doesn't fit.

When I took apart the dash and removed the stock headunit there was only 1 antenna connection, and I can't see any other wires behind the dash.

Wouldn't a single Din leave a giant gaping hole in your dashboard?

I'd get a single din cupboard to fill out the gap.

Indeed.Different strokes for different folks. If you don't mind me asking, what do you have on your X?

Factory Rockford Fosgate.

Sorry for the grain in this photo, I found a super-large image of the dash and cropped it.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2011/03/11/Dash.JPG

The new headunit for the Pro-4X (top trim level, replaced the SE and Off Road) now has this head unit with an aux input, which is my only gripe about the one I have. But since I listen to NPR and it has a 6-disc MP3 player I have more than enough to keep me entertained for weeks at a time

Last edited:
I'd get a single din cupboard to fill out the gap.

This is what such things look like.
a6cd08d4-bbf0-741a.jpg

Unless you need the storage, which I did, I would suggest you get a unit that fills the space if possible. And yes, that Boingo song is what's playing as I wait for my food order to be brought out.

Last edited:
I'll try and stick to a Double din, its just that there isn't much to choose from and there's a considerbale premium for them.

Will just have to see whats in store and go from there. The wiring is the only thing I'm worried about atm since I don't want to cut up the stock wiring at all.

As you have a mainstream car, you should be able to find an appropriate wiring adapter.