Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The biggest problem I have with the McIntosh is the font the brand is written in. It sounds stupid, but when I was in a new Subaru Legacy with the McIntosh soundsystem, it just looked plain silly. It flashed up on the screen looking like some sort of ye olde fashioned pub or pirate ship themed restaurant.

The biggest problem I have with the McIntosh is the font the brand is written in. It sounds stupid, but when I was in a new Subaru Legacy with the McIntosh soundsystem, it just looked plain silly. It flashed up on the screen looking like some sort of ye olde fashioned pub or pirate ship themed restaurant.

I can see that being a problem if they just put that font on for aesthetic reasons, but they didn't. All of their products have used that font for decades.

For example, here is a McIntosh MC75 tube monoblock amplifier which entered production in 1961.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2011/03/24/MC75b.jpg

Same font.

It does not look out of place there, I wouldn't care if it were on my stereo at home for instance, but in the modern high-tech car interior, in amongst the sans-serif dashboard fonts and brushed aluminium look plastic, it looks like a terrible anachronism. And like most terrible anachronisms, it looks tacky.

I understand that it's tradition, but it doesn't change my opinion that it looks out of place in a modern car interior.

Last edited:
My aunt needs a car so I linked many miatas. Let us hope she listens so I can borrow it. :D

So the lease on my truck is ending soon. Need to find a replacement by the summer when I have a full-time job with commuting.

Guys, I have a big problem!

I test drove a blue S60R today at the dealership. OH MY GOD! This car absolutely blew my mind. The last reasonably fast car I drove was a new-ish 330i and it felt like a turd. You had to rev the nuts out of this thing to make it feel fast.

This Volvo had torque pretty much from idle. I never even floored and it still pulled me in the seat very hard. The sales rep had never actually been in the R and he was amazed how fast it was.

There were a few problems with this one though. It had the wrong transmission, and its price was too high. Yes, it only had 29k miles, but I can't afford to spend $25,000 on a car now.

The search continues for an early S60R with around 100k miles and preferably with orange seats and manual gearbox. I'm simply in love with this car.

the only issue with the S60R and V70R was the drivetrain tended to explode around 50-70K miles. Specifically the angle gear that transfers power to the rear. IIRC it wasn't even as a result of abuse (tho abuse helped it let go sooner) the part just tended to let go around the 50K mark (maybe 60K). I would definitely do some research to see if Volvo or anyone ever came up with a fix that wasn't "replace badly designed part with the same badly designed part rinse repeat" which was the only fix back when i was looking about a year or 2 ago.

So the lease on my truck is ending soon. Need to find a replacement by the summer when I have a full-time job with commuting.

Are you wanting another truck? Or you could always do a lease buyout.

for some reason it has no audio for me.

Crapsicles. I have no idea what happened there, but it worked when I created the file.

I just tried to reupload the file but Windows Movie Maker keeps locking up.

I just reuploaded the file, let's see if it works this time:

Doesn't matter, the sound didn't work on that one either. It plays fine in Windows Live Movie Maker, but for some reason once it hits YouTube the sound is gone.

So far I haven't found a fix for it online, but I can't be the only one having this problem.