Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Not only do they look good, but washing the GTi's wheels is absolutely the greatest and easiest thing in the world. I don't have to switch to a smaller sponge and can use the same giant one. Each wheel takes all of 10 seconds to clean.

Which wheels do you have? I don't think I've ever seen a photo of your GTI.

He's probably talking about the Detroit wheels since he mentions them being easy to clean.

2010_volkswagen_gti_5_door_17_cd_gallery.jpg

These wheels beg to be clean too, the 18-inchers have black paint on the inside of the holes that is a great detail which only works if it's clean.

The downside to those wheels is if you ever brush a curb. Normal wheels will get a little scratch on the outer bead, but those wheels get royally screwed. :p

The downside to those wheels is if you ever brush a curb. Normal wheels will get a little scratch on the outer bead, but those wheels get royally screwed. :p

Yup, which is why since getting the GTI I've gone from being a good parallel park-er to a pretty terrible one. ;) Still, small price to pay considering these wheels are such a big part of the MkV and VI GTI look.

There are the 17" variants as well, called the "Denver" wheels... probably a bit less prone to curb rash but for wheels that are only an inch smaller in diameter and mostly the same design they really don't look good at all to me. I'd rather have altogether different wheels than the 17" ones.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2011/05/22/gtiwheelscompare.jpg​

There are the 17" variants as well, called the "Denver" wheels... probably a bit less prone to curb rash but for wheels that are only an inch smaller in diameter and mostly the same design they really don't look good at all to me. I'd rather have altogether different wheels than the 17" ones.

i think in this case it's mostly because they miss the black detailing on the larger ones.
but still, they look pretty horrible...

i think in this case it's mostly because they miss the black detailing on the larger ones.
but still, they look pretty horrible...

Yeah, that's definitely one reason, the black lining makes the wheels look a lot beefier. I also think even though the 17" are only one inch smaller the Golf requires 18" wheels to have a sporty overall look considering the size of the wheel arches.

Thankfully they don't even offer the 17-inch wheels on the MkVI anymore in Canada... the bigger wheels and bi-Xenon as standard are what we get for paying the prices we do.

Yup I'm talking about the 18' Detroit wheels. And tomcat is absolutely right about curb brushing. The previous owner (who put all of 10,000km on it) managed to scrape 2 of the rims ever so slightly. Nothing noticeable unless you got up really close, but still kind of frustrating.

Havent posted in the "your car" section yet because of a) laziness, and b) I've got a my first track day coming up and i'm hoping for some killer shots.

What exactly happened? The suspension was doing all kinds of weird things. It didn't look like it was going to get stuck until the front collapsed.

What exactly happened? The suspension was doing all kinds of weird things. It didn't look like it was going to get stuck until the front collapsed.

Under the Caddy bodywork, it's actually a GMC TopKick truck. My guess is that the air suspension (which you have to have for that kind of weight) failed or had one of the typical air suspension quirks pop up. On the other hand, if it wasn't broken before, it may be now now - that ringing noise was the anti-mine hull crashing down, and you really don't ever want that happening.

Last edited:
I've been steering clear of Volkswagens because of the quality issues, (And reading Kat's posts help in that regard.) but I recently saw a CC drive past me in traffic. Damn, it was pretty. Now I'm thinking about getting one. Did the quality improve recently or are they still troublesome?

I still think I want to get a 2011 Ford Mustang with the V6 and six speed manual, (I know, I know, "chick car" - but 305 hp and 30 mpg is hard to ignore; and have you *heard* the exhaust? God, it sounds sweet.) but it's always nice to have a back-up plan.

I've been steering clear of Volkswagens because of the quality issues, (And reading Kat's posts help in that regard.) but I recently saw a CC drive past me in traffic. Damn, it was pretty. Now I'm thinking about getting one. Did the quality improve recently or are they still troublesome?

I still think I want to get a 2011 Ford Mustang with the V6 and six speed manual, (I know, I know, "chick car" - but 305 hp and 30 mpg is hard to ignore; and have you *heard* the exhaust? God, it sounds sweet.) but it's always nice to have a back-up plan.

Apparently, no, they haven't improved in their quality department. In fact, they've gotten worse - apparently the CC doesn't have the front subframe bolted in with proper bolts so it shifts around while you drive. Yes, you read that right, the entire subframe shifts around.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/103-club-cc/299104-mechanical-issues-cc.html

Evidently you must buy the Audi relative of the car to get a properly bolted in subframe. Audi version of the bolt on top, VW version on the bottom:
101.jpg

Mmmm, smells like 80s GM! :sick:

Last edited:
Nuts. I had enough of the loose subframe back when I had my '77 Firebird. I guess the CC is off my list. I'll have to replace it with the Saab 9-2X Aero and a 2003-up Jaguar S-Type 4.2.

It seems like they're wasting money by using two different types of bolts. The extra cost of the Audi bolt could be amortized by placing larger orders and getting a lower unit price.

Yup I'm talking about the 18' Detroit wheels. And tomcat is absolutely right about curb brushing. The previous owner (who put all of 10,000km on it) managed to scrape 2 of the rims ever so slightly. Nothing noticeable unless you got up really close, but still kind of frustrating.

Havent posted in the "your car" section yet because of a) laziness, and b) I've got a my first track day coming up and i'm hoping for some killer shots.

Shitty. But if you trust your own parking skills then you can get them fixed and looking 99% new for $100 per wheel, maybe if the damage is really slight the guy will do both for the price of one or something.

And until you make that thread, how about some more details for the inquiring minds? What color, which transmission? When did you buy it? Not that I was the first (or second...) but the GTI army is growing on FinalGear. :mrgreen: