Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Finally got the tail out in the Miata today. :D

Aww_Yeah_meme_Meme_Faces_s250x196_156976_580_RE_resurrection-s250x196-170629-580.png

Well, I think I may have jinxed my car's electrics. :p The battery light came on yesterday when I was driving somewhere, but it started up fine when I went to leave and I made it home with no problems. My dad figured out it was an alternator problem, so we set up an appointment for Tuesday at the local VW dealership, knowing that in the meantime I'd have to get it jump-started anytime I wanted to go anywhere. OK, fine, whatever. But on the way to my mom's house this morning (a journey of 25-30 miles), the electrics started going because the battery was running out of charge. ABS light on, airbag light on, speedometer, tachometer, odometer not working, engine sounding less than healthy at idle, low speeds, and when I tried to go faster than ... well, damned if I know because the speedometer wasn't working. I made it to my mom's house (barely, by the sound of it) and called my dad and we had to change the appointment to today. Par-tay. I think the journey over there (preceded by a jump start with the cables left on for about 10 mins to get some charge in the battery) may have been the most tense 25 minutes of my life. I felt like I was racing the inevitable.

So today I saw a guy who had taken his C5 Corvette and rebodied it to look like a 1950's C1. Looked almost exactly like this...

0302vet_03z+chevrolet_corvette_c5_retro+front_view.jpg

(not my picture)

That was a bit of a mindfuck, because I'm looking at it thinking it was a classic Corvette, but then I'm going "wait, hang on...that's a newer 'Vette...wait wha...what is that thing?"

I don't know what is going on in the rear...but I kinda like the front.

This doesn't sound good:

http://img59.imageshack.**/img59/4117/img20110701170149.jpg

http://img820.imageshack.**/img820/5947/img20110701170154.jpg

IMG_20110701_170201.jpg

(all taken after i got home from my 45-50 min commute (AC on when on highway, off when driving to the highway and off the highway to my house) but with engine running in Park)

Gotta get rid of it...

have you at least thrown an ad up on craigslist?

No because i would have no car to go to work with and right now i dont have enough saved up...in a few weeks i shall.

AC has nothing to do with your engine's coolant.

AC has nothing to do with your engine's coolant.

That's what i figured but didn't know if that would somehow put higher stress on the cooling system

Apparently there's a leak..or a pierced hose...I would smell a whiff of it as i pulled away from stops, but couldnt tell if it was from another car or not. Only sign anything was amiss was when i was about 3 min from home and the low coolant light started coming on and going off when i turned.

Would it be safe to drive approximately 30 min to york PA. Apparently my stepmom's passively suggesting she wants me to see my mom this weekend for the 4th (ie...out of the house -_-) whatever..anyways...doable?

I do have coolant in the trunk.

Last edited:
Well, I think I may have jinxed my car's electrics. :p The battery light came on yesterday when I was driving somewhere, but it started up fine when I went to leave and I made it home with no problems. My dad figured out it was an alternator problem, so we set up an appointment for Tuesday at the local VW dealership, knowing that in the meantime I'd have to get it jump-started anytime I wanted to go anywhere. OK, fine, whatever. But on the way to my mom's house this morning (a journey of 25-30 miles), the electrics started going because the battery was running out of charge. ABS light on, airbag light on, speedometer, tachometer, odometer not working, engine sounding less than healthy at idle, low speeds, and when I tried to go faster than ... well, damned if I know because the speedometer wasn't working. I made it to my mom's house (barely, by the sound of it) and called my dad and we had to change the appointment to today. Par-tay. I think the journey over there (preceded by a jump start with the cables left on for about 10 mins to get some charge in the battery) may have been the most tense 25 minutes of my life. I felt like I was racing the inevitable.

All fixed now? Was it really the alternator?

This doesn't sound good:

Gotta get rid of it...

:rolleyes:

That's what i figured but didn't know if that would somehow put higher stress on the cooling system

Apparently there's a leak..or a pierced hose...I would smell a whiff of it as i pulled away from stops, but couldnt tell if it was from another car or not. Only sign anything was amiss was when i was about 3 min from home and the low coolant light started coming on and going off when i turned.

Would it be safe to drive approximately 30 min to york PA. Apparently my stepmom's passively suggesting she wants me to see my mom this weekend for the 4th (ie...out of the house -_-) whatever..anyways...doable?

I do have coolant in the trunk.

Depends. If it's a coolant hose going bad, and it lets go completely you are pretty much stranded. If it's just a radiator leak you will be fine - it won't explode spectacularly (although you never know, this being a Saturn...), just get extra bottles of water in the trunk.

But the first thing you absolutely need to do is find out where the coolant is coming from and what has failed.

Here's a question for you all.

I don't know how the hell there would be no small blocks left with all the LS based trucks running around but........

I would put one of those 500+ ci tall deck LSX motors in it. That's about as far from a small block as a small block can get.

If not that, I'd go with the obvious BBC, but please make it this one. :D

Good news!

http://img232.imageshack.**/img232/3707/img20110701193620.jpg

165-everything-went-better-than-expected.png

Just a hose leak I didn't notice from when I looked initially. A quick trip to the parts store is in order.

Now sell it before it breaks again.

So today I saw a guy who had taken his C5 Corvette and rebodied it to look like a 1950's C1. Looked almost exactly like this...

0302vet_03z+chevrolet_corvette_c5_retro+front_view.jpg

(not my picture)

That was a bit of a mindfuck, because I'm looking at it thinking it was a classic Corvette, but then I'm going "wait, hang on...that's a newer 'Vette...wait wha...what is that thing?"

For what that cost him to convert it, he could of had anther car.

http://www.downsindustries.com/_webapp_1174250/1962_Vette_Roadster_Body_and_Chassis

The new old style combo kind of looks like the latest model of thunderbird.
wpid-Ford_Thunderbird_2003_12564.jpg

For reference:

'55 T-Bird
800px-%2756_Ford_Thunderbird_%28Sterling_Ford%29.jpg

C1

53_Corvette.jpg

Good news!
Just a hose leak I didn't notice from when I looked initially. A quick trip to the parts store is in order.

Sell it ASAP. I doubt the other hoses are in pristine condition.

Last edited: