Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

:lol: Well they are still adjustable if the certain owner could stand to have them crooked for a few moments of time.

Both my center vents are adjusted to face me...with one on my face and the other pointed at my chest.

Left vent faces me on days where the windows don't fog up, as my car doesn't have seperate "demisting" vents for the front door glass. Right vent always faces window.

Not sure how this happened today. He looked to be the only one involved.

268399_10150232677101623_611066622_7614887_4644628_n.jpg

Looks like my dad finally found a car to buy, after literally years of very slow shopping.

2011 Subaru WRX sedan. Options: 5spd short throw shifter and bushing, possibly the STI exhaust, and I talked him into adding a front tower brace because it needs a little turn-in sharpness.

The 2012s come in soon (yuk), but if he gets the order in soon enough when they open things up in August (tsunami halted a lot of production obviously), he can still order a built 2011 from the factory.

Yes I know buying a new car is the least economical way to do it, but at least he's paying cash and it wouldn't really matter anyway because this is the one he wants.

Last edited:
If you plan on driving the car into the ground, you might as well get what you want.

Oh, man. I still want a 2005-08 Mustang GT, but lately I've been thinking about a few things.

One is the fact that I'm not getting any younger. It's going to look like I either borrowed my son's car or I'm having a mid-life crisis. Two is the fact that rear seat room in a Mustang is a bit tight. I will be spending a lot of time with my family, and I'd hate to be constantly riding with them if we all wanted to go out somewhere. Or taking two cars; which, considering my mom and both brothers all drive Celicas would probably happen. Third, and most importantly, this would be my only car. Which means I would be driving it in the winter. Now I've had plenty of experience driving RWD cars in the snow (And this was in the days when "traction control" was your right foot.) but that's not what bothers me. Driving in the snow period is what bothers me. The idea of subjecting my muscle car to the salt and slush that is a Northern New England winter makes me cringe, frankly.

Now I still wouldn't mind a P71 Crown Vic, but I would be very particular about the one I took home. Well under 100K miles, 2003 and up, and no squad cars. It would have to be a detective car or one used by a state or county civil service agency.

But I've also been looking at - and I'm a bit embarassed to mention it - a 2008+ Honda Accord V6 sedan, and a 2005+ Toyota Avalon Touring sedan. Both cars are well settled on the highway, and - importantly - don't get unsettled when the road gets twisty. Good highway manners are important, as I will be driving 3K miles across the US, and spending at least one weekend a month visiting friends and family in Maine (A 330 mile round trip.) as well as the occasional FG Massachusetts meetup. But I want to feel alive while I'm driving, which is why when a friend recommended a Camry I said no. (And why the Avalon has to have the Touring package.)

What do you guys think? (And yes, I could go with a BMW 3 series; but my sister Linda had an E46 330i and she had to trade it in on an X3 when she discovered it wouldn't make it up the driveway of her new house. I love my sister and would like to visit her from time to time. Plus rear space in the back is as tight as in a Mustang. Not to mention BMW service and repair costs. And Audi, and Mercedes, and Volvo, and Jaguar...) Oh, my budget is around $20K, and no Miatas. (Did you see above where I mentioned that I might like something with no rear seat room?)

I was at laying on the beach yesterday when I got the chance to observe something rather amusing for a good one hour.

First, let me explain that sand beaches here have soft sand (unlike the ones at Daytona for example). I went to this really desolate place, with rough roads where everybody parks their cars up on the hill. Those who have able off-roaders (intercooled Pajeros, turboed 4Runners, and some Sidekicks and Vitaras) drive down to the beach but still park on the grass.

There is a narrow sandy road just next to the beach where none of them dared to go. Well here comes the interesting part. A guy with an enormous V8 Land Cruiser decided that he is man enough to go on that road. The road started slowly sinking under his rear driver's side tire (much like Jeremy's Range Rover in Colombia). There were people (including me me, I believe) who could have saved the car from sinking by switching it to only FWD, making the passengers get out and slowly applying power. He did none of that. He started rocking the car back and forth, which is a good method on snow or on flat ground. This only made the side of the car sink even further. He almost rolled it over on the side until some people told him to stop.

He got out of the Land Cruiser. He was one of those people that shave their whole body, and wear a man-purse (not gay, but apparently that's the modern look nowadays). Just by looking at him and his passengers I could tell he knows nothing about off roading.

With the help of the people around they pushed the car DOWN on the beach itself, where although sinking a little, at least it was flat. They pushed him for about 200ft. and then they reached a small hill. 30 more feet and he will be out. The turboed 4Runner volunteered to tow him out, but nobody had rope that long. They had to connect three different ropes, which I knew spelled disaster. During the first pull, 10 seconds passed and you could hear the sound of metal snapping, and the rope flinging like a slingshot. Luckily nobody was hurt. It took them another 20 minutes until they finally got him out of the sand.

You may notice I kept referring to "them". That is correct - I didn't volunteer to help. Why? The driver made it known that he is a cop and that we had to help him. At which point I just laughed and returned to my beach towel to observe the spectacle.

Oh, man. I still want a 2005-08 Mustang GT, but lately I've been thinking about a few things.

One is the fact that I'm not getting any younger. It's going to look like I either borrowed my son's car or I'm having a mid-life crisis. Two is the fact that rear seat room in a Mustang is a bit tight. I will be spending a lot of time with my family, and I'd hate to be constantly riding with them if we all wanted to go out somewhere. Or taking two cars; which, considering my mom and both brothers all drive Celicas would probably happen. Third, and most importantly, this would be my only car. Which means I would be driving it in the winter. Now I've had plenty of experience driving RWD cars in the snow (And this was in the days when "traction control" was your right foot.) but that's not what bothers me. Driving in the snow period is what bothers me. The idea of subjecting my muscle car to the salt and slush that is a Northern New England winter makes me cringe, frankly.

Now I still wouldn't mind a P71 Crown Vic, but I would be very particular about the one I took home. Well under 100K miles, 2003 and up, and no squad cars. It would have to be a detective car or one used by a state or county civil service agency.

But I've also been looking at - and I'm a bit embarassed to mention it - a 2008+ Honda Accord V6 sedan, and a 2005+ Toyota Avalon Touring sedan. Both cars are well settled on the highway, and - importantly - don't get unsettled when the road gets twisty. Good highway manners are important, as I will be driving 3K miles across the US, and spending at least one weekend a month visiting friends and family in Maine (A 330 mile round trip.) as well as the occasional FG Massachusetts meetup. But I want to feel alive while I'm driving, which is why when a friend recommended a Camry I said no. (And why the Avalon has to have the Touring package.)

What do you guys think? (And yes, I could go with a BMW 3 series; but my sister Linda had an E46 330i and she had to trade it in on an X3 when she discovered it wouldn't make it up the driveway of her new house. I love my sister and would like to visit her from time to time. Plus rear space in the back is as tight as in a Mustang. Not to mention BMW service and repair costs. And Audi, and Mercedes, and Volvo, and Jaguar...) Oh, my budget is around $20K, and no Miatas. (Did you see above where I mentioned that I might like something with no rear seat room?)

I would say get the mustang anyway, who cares what other people think if you like it. Also, when I was doing my car buying research I factored in the snow driving traction for the mustang. Because they are now practically 50/50 for weight distribution, it's got 1620 lbs over the rear wheels so there shouldn't be any traction issues.

New Mustangs do fine in the snow, with proper winter tires and winter driving knowledge. You would be fine in one. Really the space issue would be the only major issue.

Okay, I did some more research and found that over 50% of Mustang owners are 35-55 years old. So I don't feel so bad. Still don't think I want to buy a Mazdaspeed 3 though. A bit too ricer for me. Plus, I'm nervous about buying turbocharged cars used.

And the most popular Mustang color is black. Which is good for me.

Now will I be able to fit a 42" flat screen TV in it?

Okay, I did some more research and found that over 50% of Mustang owners are 35-55 years old. So I don't feel so bad. Still don't think I want to buy a Mazdaspeed 3 though. A bit too ricer for me. Plus, I'm nervous about buying turbocharged cars used.

And the most popular Mustang color is black. Which is good for me.

Depends how big the box is. You should be able to, as long as you aren't transporting people in there too. Do yourself a favor and go find one on a lot somewhere and test drive it, crawl around in the back seat, check out the trunk (you might be surprised at the trunk space, maybe not though). Believe it or not, real people can fit in the back seat, though it helps if someone smaller is in the front to allow for extra space in the back.

Box? I threw out the box ages ago. I would be getting the coupe, so having the trunk pass through helps. And it'd be just me driving cross country. I did check out the trunk space on some cars, and I will not buy one with the Shaker 1000 stereo. That subwoofer takes up too much room.

] There were people (including me me, I believe) who could have saved the car from sinking by switching it to only FWD, making the passengers get out and slowly applying power. He did none of that.

Is that possible with a LC? The only two wheel option I've seen with 4x4s is RWD.

If it is like my '97 the rear seats fold down opening the trunk to the cabin.

By the way, it's only going to get worse if you don't repair the rich-running cause. An overheated cat can actually start the car on fire.

Let it burn down and the insurance will pay full book value. Just don't park it too close to any buildings.

Really, it's for the best.

Let it burn down and the insurance will pay full book value. Just don't park it too close to any buildings.

Really, it's for the best.

Oh...Saturn smoke..don't breathe this! :p

TBH i'll sell it off as a fixerupper of sorts. it shouldnt take much to get it running well.