Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I just saw a 2001 SL2 going for $1200. Yours is....quite a bit older so I'm guessing $400.

I just saw a 2001 SL2 going for $1200. Yours is....quite a bit older so I'm guessing $400.

I paid 800 dollars nearly 5 years ago....take that for what you will...

If you find somebody willing to pay $400 after you drove it for 5 years, take the money and run.

Oh, man. I still want a 2005-08 Mustang GT, but lately I've been thinking about a few things.

One is the fact that I'm not getting any younger. It's going to look like I either borrowed my son's car or I'm having a mid-life crisis. Two is the fact that rear seat room in a Mustang is a bit tight. I will be spending a lot of time with my family, and I'd hate to be constantly riding with them if we all wanted to go out somewhere. Or taking two cars; which, considering my mom and both brothers all drive Celicas would probably happen. Third, and most importantly, this would be my only car. Which means I would be driving it in the winter. Now I've had plenty of experience driving RWD cars in the snow (And this was in the days when "traction control" was your right foot.) but that's not what bothers me. Driving in the snow period is what bothers me. The idea of subjecting my muscle car to the salt and slush that is a Northern New England winter makes me cringe, frankly.

A friend of mine taught me this a long time ago. If you really like your car and want to help it survive the salty winters start by taking it and doing a thorough power cleaning of the underside. Then spray the underside with Pam. Yes, Pam, the cooking spray. Make sure it is not even warm when you do this, and let it sit for a bit after to let it dry completely. Also avoid the exhaust bits as it will just burn off there eventually anyway.

And put snow rated tires on it for the winter. I have these that are all season on thee old Buick and really like them for the winter.

gy-fortera-tripletred-ci1-s-2871.jpg

It looks like they updated the design a bit too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred+All-Season

What about waxoyle? The Land Rover guys love the stuff.

What about waxoyle? The Land Rover guys love the stuff.

Land Rovers and Waxoyl go together like smoke and Lucas Electrics. It's the only thing stopping most of them from turning to dust.

Speaking of which, the bulkhead on mine is getting slightly worrying, I probably shouldn't be able to poke around inside the door pillar with a large screwdriver. This has compromised the strength of the pillar so the door leans out. Not sure if it'll get through the MOT this year... :(

Saab's back on the trickle charger :lol: I think I completely killed the battery this time. I really need to get insurance and tax and get it out on the road :)

Also its very likely we'll be coming to the Ringmeet in the Kangoo. Too much hassle to change the insurance over. May as well use the most of the Saab while I've got it :p

it killed itself out of shame

What I want to know is why the fuck are Volvos and Volvos only getting in on all the pictures? :lol:

Why would Volvo drivers be there anyway? Why would a Lambo driver be there come to think of it?

Why do those catch fire so much? It's a modern car, you'd expect it to handle normal driving conditions like sitting in line at a drive through, Italian supercar or not.

It doesn't need anything else than install failure or material failure in some fuel line, connector, seal, fuel rail or near injector that starts leaking fuel out in pretty tight V10 engine bay and there you go.

I saw an episode of The Munsters the other day. The wife character went to a used car dealership to buy a car for her husband, or whoever that frankenstein looking dude is suppose to be, can't say I'm a huge fan, sorry. Anyway, the show was made in America in the mid 1960's. The cars on the lot, and the price tags on the windows, gave me a crisis. Somebody needs to get off their ass and invent a damn time machine already!

I saw an episode of The Munsters the other day. The wife character went to a used car dealership to buy a car for her husband, or whoever that frankenstein looking dude is suppose to be, can't say I'm a huge fan, sorry. Anyway, the show was made in America in the mid 1960's. The cars on the lot, and the price tags on the windows, gave me a crisis. Somebody needs to get off their ass and invent a damn time machine already!

If I recall properly, the car in my signature stickered at $2714. I do know the current cost to register it for a year is based off its depreciated value based on the original price and age of the car so the registration paid is based on a current depreciated valuation of $411.

Made an interesting discovery today: turning off DSC in my car also changes the automatic transmission behavior. Normally, even in manual mode, it will shift itself when you do bad things to it. But with "DSC" off, you're completely free to bounce off the limiter or bog yourself down in 6th :D

It also seems to raise the redline to 8k RPM :D :D