Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

So I just checked our trickle charger; it should be putting out about 30v or so, but is in fact pumping just 14v. :lol: No wonder the battery wasn't charging up properly...

Just saw a W124 with a full width bull bar attached, my first thought "yeah, zombie apocalypse ready" then later "in flat black, with a v8"

I really want to get a W124 and drop an LS1 in- that would be the perfect gentleman's express. Obviously, electric cut outs in the exhaust are a must.

If I recall properly, the car in my signature stickered at $2714. I do know the current cost to register it for a year is based off its depreciated value based on the original price and age of the car so the registration paid is based on a current depreciated valuation of $411.

I will pay you $1500 for your car right now. :eek: :p

So I just checked our trickle charger; it should be putting out about 30v or so, but is in fact pumping just 14v. :lol: No wonder the battery wasn't charging up properly...

Why would it need to put out more than twice the voltage of the battery? It should run about 14 volts, make sure you have a good connection at the battery.

I really want to get a W124 and drop an LS1 in- that would be the perfect gentleman's express. Obviously, electric cut outs in the exhaust are a must.

What are those?

I think what he is refering to is a valve in the exhaust that by passes the mufflers.

What are those?

Its a valve in the exhaust that open up to bypass the muffler/cat/ect so you're basically running straight pipes when its activated. ALso called town and country exhaust.

edit. one minute too slow

Last edited:
Our family has about four cars. Only one is running, and we need two. So we needed a rental as a temporary replacement.

It's a first-gen Chevy Aveo.

I actually prefer the Quest, honestly. I only rode in the Aveo once, and I already hate it.

Also, who thought vinyl was a good upholstery material?

The sad thing is that the 2nd gen Aveo got a lot better and yet still sucks. It's just another example of how GM needs to quit halfassing it and build quality vehicles again.

Just saw a W124 with a full width bull bar attached, my first thought "yeah, zombie apocalypse ready" then later "in flat black, with a v8"
Every once in a while I see an '80s Chevy Caprice cop car that's got a bull bar, a black primer and bedliner paint job, a mean sounding SBC and it rides on ~30" mud tires. Even my non-motorhead friends think it's awesome (or terrifying). I'd love seeing an old Benz with the same treatment.

Yup.

Case in point.
*ZO6 with cutouts*
I had the sound up and when the exhaust opened up my window rattled a bit.

I-came-ghostbuster.jpg

Last edited:
Eh, that might do.

:lol:

Our family has about four cars. Only one is running, and we need two. So we needed a rental as a temporary replacement.

It's a first-gen Chevy Aveo.

I actually prefer the Quest, honestly. I only rode in the Aveo once, and I already hate it.

Also, who thought vinyl was a good upholstery material?

Excuse me sir but that would be leatherette! /sarcasm :p

At least its the high end model..from a distance the black/beige doesn't look half bad.

Plus vinyl's probably easier to maintain than leather and personally at this point i'd be jumping and clicking my heels if someone handed me an aveo in exchange for the failturn.

There's 3 loaded aveo's/G3's floating around campus. My first year I saw one of them I was like...not bad. Went online to price one out and literally laughed: 17k. For a Aveo. At first I was like...who on earth would pay that much?

Then I realized that, like citroen's in Europe, no one EVER pays list for an aveo...I hope not anyway.

Missing headrest on the passenger side. :|

Do I get a prize?

Probably an Aussie import.

Well, yeah the headrest is missing but, why import a Subaru Forester? Out of all the cars why that? It threw me for a loop.