Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

And unlike the Saturn's engine, it is hard to kill an AMC L6.

Yup, one of the most indestructable gas engines ever.

Just avoid the 84-86 like the plague because they have the miserable GM 2.8 V6. Ideally, shoot for a 91+ as they have the H.O version of the 4.0.

Today Kiki and I spotted a Lamborghini LM002 parked next to a Countach! A few minutes later we paced a Maserati GranTurismo.

We got a couple of photos of the LM002 with her phone, I'll let her be the one to upload them.

Buy a 2WD Cherokee.

Hell no, buy a 4WD XJ Cherokee. All 4WD Cherokees are also 2WD Cherokees, they ('87 or newer) only came with selectable 231 (2WD, 4PT, 4HI) or 242 (2WD, 4PT, 4FT, 4LO) transfer cases.

Avoid the 4-bangers unless you're just stripping out the 4.11 or 4.56-geared axles to put them in something that has a non-shit engine.

Ideally, I'd look for a '97-'99 4.0L Cherokee. You get the most powerful version of the 4.0L L6, best transmissions (AW4 & AX15) post-refresh styling, metal hatch (instead of fiberglass), external slip yoke on the transfer case (can run without the rear drive shaft without the TC losing fluid), and you run an even chance of getting one with an 8.25" rear axle while keeping the High Pinion version of the front axle they lost in the '00-'01 models.

He wants a cheap car. The 2WD is significantly cheaper than the 4x4s. Ideally I agree the '97-'99s are the way to go. The interior improvement alone makes them worthwhile.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I may not be getting that Elcamino after all. It will also be more time before I can really start work on the Roadmaster. My water pump (home)and well may need to be replaced.

:(

Indeed. I spent a good hour behind the wheel of an '00 Sport Classic 4x4 on the highway and I have to say it's very well behaved. Even the brake pedal is nice and firm, for being an off-roader box, it drives very well.

Having driven both, and owned a few cherokee's, I can tell you that the Cherokee drives 10000x better than the blazer.

The blazer feels top heavy and wollowy, the cherokee feel planted and responsive. (comparatively)

And unlike the Saturn's engine, it is hard to kill an AMC L6.

Yup, one of the most indestructable gas engines ever.

Just avoid the 84-86 like the plague because they have the miserable GM 2.8 V6. Ideally, shoot for a 91+ as they have the H.O version of the 4.0.

All good news. And noted about the engine to avoid. :)

Hell no, buy a 4WD XJ Cherokee. All 4WD Cherokees are also 2WD Cherokees, they ('87 or newer) only came with selectable 231 (2WD, 4PT, 4HI) or 242 (2WD, 4PT, 4FT, 4LO) transfer cases.

Avoid the 4-bangers unless you're just stripping out the 4.11 or 4.56-geared axles to put them in something that has a non-shit engine.

Ideally, I'd look for a '97-'99 4.0L Cherokee. You get the most powerful version of the 4.0L L6, best transmissions (AW4 & AX15) post-refresh styling, metal hatch (instead of fiberglass), external slip yoke on the transfer case (can run without the rear drive shaft without the TC losing fluid), and you run an even chance of getting one with an 8.25" rear axle while keeping the High Pinion version of the front axle they lost in the '00-'01 models.

Again, Noted. And yes when I was doing admittedly limited research, I'd rather have the redesigned interior on the 97+ models. Edmunds TMV says that 97's are in my ideal price range as well, which is always a plus.

As far as 2WD vs 4WD goes, I've gotten through winters fine in my Failturn so 4WD isn't mandatory. I'm sure that 4WD models will have better resale value though + it would be nice to have since I'd be driving to school daily.

He wants a cheap car. The 2WD is significantly cheaper than the 4x4s. Ideally I agree the '97-'99s are the way to go. The interior improvement alone makes them worthwhile.

Noted!

Today Kiki and I spotted a Lamborghini LM002 parked next to a Countach! A few minutes later we paced a Maserati GranTurismo.

We got a couple of photos of the LM002 with her phone, I'll let her be the one to upload them.

Please make sure she doesn't forget. I'm excited to see those.

Can you list all the demerits of the GM 2.8l V6?

They are not so bad in terms of reliability, and are cheap to fix. They are just pathetically slow. 130hp from 2.8 litres? When you couple that with a 3-speed auto, it makes for one of the worst drivelines ever.

Can you list all the demerits of the GM 2.8l V6?

Gutless, torqueless, and a bit thirsty for what you get out of it. The 2.5 I4 was a better engine in most vehicles.

That 2,5 L4, was that the engine known as the "Iron Duke"?

No, not the Iron Duke. But still equally slow.

So many memories... hauling Spectre's craigslist finds to his warehouse... :p

I wish I could have gotten a picture, but I heard a glorious expensive-ish V8 rumbling by as I was walking/running errands today and I turned back and what did I see? A Ferrari F355 Spider (corrected). The guy was older and he was really rushing to turn left at a signal that was changing, but it made quite a growl and it looked pretty nice.

First Ferrari I saw in my town here. (It was in red of course.)

Last edited:
Parked near the CEO today.

http://img833.imageshack.**/img833/6406/27079893251502026211635.jpg