Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

RainX is awesome. RainX-1 Colorado Monsoon-0. Everyones' wiper blades are on super fast crazy mode. Mine? Off.

I think if I buy a car, it will definitely have to be out of the state. All of the areas within 300 miles seem to charge a "CA" price on top of what you would normally expect (I assume because it's at least Northern California, if not a California thing). The cheapest MX-5 I saw in the last week in lists was a 1994 with about 2-3 small mods and it was going for $2500 (with a couple of dents and in need of a repaint and about 150k miles). All the MX-5's I ever see being sold second hand are 2000-2005 models and half are salvage title. =(

Same with a lot of Civics, Corollas, Camrys, etc. The only cars I ever see for under $1000 are Cavaliers and cars like mine. Even then though, someone was trying to sell a 1996 Mirage LS for $4000 because it had about 80k miles and was garaged. (Averages for moderately older Mirages are under $2500 even for the best of conditions.) I wouldn't have been surprised if that person was called up and laughed at. They continuously kept listing it for 2+ weeks and dropped the price from $4500.

[video=youtube;Ru8qO2as-RI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru8qO2as-RI[/video]

I think if I buy a car, it will definitely have to be out of the state. All of the areas within 300 miles seem to charge a "CA" price on top of what you would normally expect (I assume because it's at least Northern California, if not a California thing). The cheapest MX-5 I saw in the last week in lists was a 1994 with about 2-3 small mods and it was going for $2500 (with a couple of dents and in need of a repaint and about 150k miles). All the MX-5's I ever see being sold second hand are 2000-2005 models and half are salvage title. =(

Same with a lot of Civics, Corollas, Camrys, etc. The only cars I ever see for under $1000 are Cavaliers and cars like mine. Even then though, someone was trying to sell a 1996 Mirage LS for $4000 because it had about 80k miles and was garaged. (Averages for moderately older Mirages are under $2500 even for the best of conditions.) I wouldn't have been surprised if that person was called up and laughed at. They continuously kept listing it for 2+ weeks and dropped the price from $4500.

CA has taxes and fees to "equalize" the price of the car when you bring it in from out of state.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/index.jsp

Oh yeah I suppose that is true. I even see much older cars going for $2000 or more. (Older Civics and Accords going for the same price as 95-99 models ones. Which I find very interesting. I've even seen some old 80s GM cars like Cimmarons going for over $1000.)

Most vehicles are cheaper when I look in one particular area, but there are so few cars, let alone interesting/decent cars being posted. (It's almost depressing, the average posted is between 5-10 cars a day, some are repeats from previous days.)

But a Mirage for $4000? Yikes.

Hmmm....sooo very interesting:

99 XJR $3000

Owner says it probably needs a cat. Shouldn't be too bad...

Yeah, it's possible it needs the catalytics replaced... more likely Nikasil got it first, though.

Last edited:
I am looking in some of those areas. >: I see in Sacramento there are a few cars closer to $1000, but I am still seeing a lot of cars over $2000. I suppose it would just have to be the right opportunity at the right time.

Probably doesn't help that most of the cars posted on CL seem to be from 2000 or newer. Or Hondas. (Mainly riced out terrible Hondas.)

The other day on CL I saw some person trying to sell off an old 50s car that was definitely non-op and in major need overhaul for $1000 or $1500, I forget.

I dunno. Meh.

Lol. Here is a '99 SL2 for about $1000.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2491511751.html

:| I feel cheated. I paid 800 dollars for my 92 SL1.

On a related note, this parody by Dave & Jimmy sums up how I usually feel about my car at the end of each commute due to the autotragic acting up randomly: http://downloads.iheartradio.com/me...this-cars-a-piece-of-shit_1305832678_9710.mp3

:lol:

EDIT: ZOMG btw, I saw another Lotus Elise. Black with red leather..saw it both this morning on my way to work and this afternoon in town on the way home with the roof off. Now THAT's how to commute.

Last edited:
Liability only or something?

I'm older with older cars that are more than $200/year, but do have full coverage. Belive my '93 Coupe is running about $460/year.
Nope, standard full coverage. I've been with the same insurer for 14 years, without making a claim or receiving a ticket. Thinking about all the money I've paid in over the years without incident makes me feel ill.

say, do you actually count the times you've told him that already? :p
if you do, at what point do you intend to give up?

When he takes the advice of all the people telling him to sell that heap. I'm far from the only one.

Besides, I generally only say it when he mentions it, so that the association is clear.

Yeah, it's possible it needs the catalytics replaced... more likely Nikasil got it first, though.

There is another XJ8 in the area for $1500 listed as "mechanics special". Low compression in cylinder 2...I'm guessing the Nikasil had something to do with it as well :)

You got ripped off, you actually paid MONEY for that thing.

SELL IT ALREADY.
You mean "give it away and pay the 'buyer' money that he takes it away from you", which means he has to pay for it twice... :p

When he takes the advice of all the people telling him to sell that heap. I'm far from the only one.

Besides, I generally only say it when he mentions it, so that the association is clear.

You know. My father had 300k sitting in the bank and drove a 99' contour I assume because the same reason he originally sold his mustang for a daewoo, to be able to complain about it.
Rick, I think you need therapy to deal with these issues. :p
A point of comparison, I am clearly fucked in the head and I would have sold my bug if the transmission was out of pocket despite being all I have left of my grandmother and even when it was broken it was still significantly more reliable than your crapbox.
And then I would have used the money from my father to buy probably a mustang, because that is clearly what he should have done and mustangs are cool.

Last edited:
There is another XJ8 in the area for $1500 listed as "mechanics special". Low compression in cylinder 2...I'm guessing the Nikasil had something to do with it as well :)

Either that or the timing chain tensioners went, the engine skipped time and a piston kissed a valve.

One way or another, replacement engine time.

You mean "give it away and pay the 'buyer' money that he takes it away from you", which means he has to pay for it twice... :p

Well, yes, but that's worst case scenario. He lives in Pennsylvania so he might be able to find a blind Buy American type to take it off his hands for $50 or so. :p

Last edited:
Last edited: