Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The abarth 500 is technically probably my ideal car, however, it is a fiat build by chrysler in the PT Cruiser factory. Do you know what happened to mom's PT Cruiser? At 46k it decided to not have suspension. Also the fog lights liked to be on randomly. You know I would like to have a car that actually works for a change so that has knocked the abarth fiat down the list a few notches, especially since it has less warranty in comparison to the other companies so in the range of pissing me off reliability it would probably land under the new new beetle with it's new fast engines. Also there is ONE dealership that sells them anywhere near here and I would like to not have the choice of going to a different one if it sucks (and it is a Kelly dealership, so it probably will)

Last edited:
I want a 500 Abarth in bright yellow or some other screaming loud color. Come next year I will seriously consider it.

Expect me to show up wanting to borrow it a lot :D

I can drive a manual, I am just incredibly out of practice <_<

I don't like the mini much. I don't like the interior and I do not like the price tag. Also they run on premium which is kind of annoying. Mostly, because Mini owners are generally smug assholes to me for driving a bug makes me never want one.

Pearl white Abarth. :mrgreen:
I?ve seen it in person and loved it.

Pearl white Abarth. :mrgreen:
I?ve seen it in person and loved it.
I seen a couple of 500s in person (no Abarth yet obv) and I don't like how tall they are. They seem too much like the Beetle in that respect with a somewhat bubbly roof line.

Abarth over Mini here as well. Smaller, lighter, cheaper, (for now) more exclusive. I wouldn't mind one at all.

I seen a couple of 500s in person (no Abarth yet obv) and I don't like how tall they are. They seem too much like the Beetle in that respect with a somewhat bubbly roof line.

I think the 500 is about the same size as a fiesta or similar to a mini. I think that may be why I get annoyed at people being all smug over minis being lighter than beetles and such. They aren't really in the same size class. The competing sized VW would be the not sold here polo wouldn't it? Beetles are on golf platforms and without the convertible top get a proper trunk.

I've driven a 500 1.2 Sport back in France, the ride is wrong and the engine was quite gutless.
That is too slow to even bother selling over here. Honestly though, after owning a car as slow as mine I don't want another one this slow, and the 500 is just as bad as mine is.

Last edited:
The abarth 500 is technically probably my ideal car, however, it is a fiat build by chrysler in the PT Cruiser factory. Do you know what happened to mom's PT Cruiser? At 46k it decided to not have suspension. Also the fog lights liked to be on randomly. You know I would like to have a car that actually works for a change so that has knocked the abarth fiat down the list a few notches, especially since it has less warranty in comparison to the other companies so in the range of pissing me off reliability it would probably land under the new new beetle with it's new fast engines. Also there is ONE dealership that sells them anywhere near here and I would like to not have the choice of going to a different one if it sucks (and it is a Kelly dealership, so it probably will)

Doesn't bother me, if I have issues I'll just complain to FPT (Fiat Powertrain Technologies) down the hallway if I encounter any issues. :p Also Fiat wants to make their re-entry to the US right and I know the company is going at great lengths to insure that. Having seen the expectations Marchionne has placed on our company, I would be surprised if the expectations for Fiat North America weren't more demanding.

The Abarth might make an appearance in my Mom's drive if she waits until after it comes out and stops flirting with the idea of a GTI. Hopefully.

I think the 500 is about the same size as a fiesta or similar to a mini. I think that may be why I get annoyed at people being all smug over minis being lighter than beetles and such. They aren't really in the same size class. The competing sized VW would be the not sold here polo wouldn't it? Beetles are on golf platforms and without the convertible top get a proper trunk.

The 500 is way smaller than the current Fiesta, Ford actually produces the Ka on the small platform as the 500.

That is too slow to even bother selling over here. Honestly though, after owning a car as slow as mine I don't want another one this slow, and the 500 is just as bad as mine is.

It would still be quick enough the join a highway I believe. It seems that Fiat's idea of sporty is just a set of bumpy, rock-hard suspensions and nothing done to any other parts of the car :-D

I've been reading up on the the new US Fiat 500's. Their price is really tempting, however I'm not too sure that 100hp will be enough (especially at 5000ft). However, this caught my attention:

What do they mean "reworked suspension"? Worse than the Euro version? I'll have to test drive one to see what it's like.

You'll likely be fine
/drives a 85 horsepower car.

As for the suspension, a few places said that fiat was so impressed with the us rear suspension change, that their using it on current euro 500's. I'm using my phone so I can't list the sites. Will add later if desired.

Translation: Fiat strengthened the suspension on the 500 so it wouldn't instantly shatter on US roads and discovered that it could lead to less warranty claims in Europe. :p

Oh that is the change they made? WELL THEN. That might actually not fall apart after all. :lol:

Tha Abarth looks much better in that respect. The wider bumpers and lower stance really change the appearance.

The MINI (3,723mm) is slightly bigger than the 500 (3,546mm). Both are smaller than the Fiesta (4,066mm). The New Beetle is even larger, at 4129mm.
The MINI (1,070kg) is in fact lighter than the Beetle (1,230kg), both are obviously heaiver than the 500 (930kg).

Yes, I am aware the mini is lighter, it should be for the lack of size :p
What I am saying is I have a fancy golf and a mini is smaller so bragging in comparison to a car that is not in the same class just because they are both retro doesn't work well. It is like me saying "My car handles better than a PT Cruiser" is not really an accomplishment as obviously a wagon that my mother used for transporting christmas trees on the inside would handle totally different.