Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Check the AT fluid first. When was the fluid last changed?

If that's not it, take it in to see if the transmission is throwing any codes to the computer, transmission codes don't always turn on the check-engine light. It could be a solenoid that has gone bad. Kiki's car has about the same mileage and we just had to replace two solenoids in the transmission.

Check the AT fluid first. When was the fluid last changed?

If that's not it, take it in to see if the transmission is throwing any codes to the computer, transmission codes don't always turn on the check-engine light. It could be a solenoid that has gone bad. Kiki's car has about the same mileage and we just had to replace two solenoids in the transmission.

Thanks, will check it out. I think fluid was eliminated as an issue.

I see so many people on nice summer days driving convertibles with their top up. I have an idea as to why: almost all of them are European cars with power tops, and they very well know that every single open/close action is one step closer to a very expensive servicing bill. Meanwhile, my vinyl manual top comes down quicker than a stock market. Their loss; they don't get to hear the requests of schoolkids on buses asking me to do a burnout. Which, unfortunately, I can't do; damn you mid-engine traction! :shakefist:

I see so many people on nice summer days driving convertibles with their top up. I have an idea as to why: almost all of them are European cars with power tops, and they very well know that every single open/close action is one step closer to a very expensive servicing bill. Meanwhile, my vinyl manual top comes down quicker than a stock market. Their loss; they don't get to hear the requests of schoolkids on buses asking me to do a burnout. Which, unfortunately, I can't do; damn you mid-engine traction! :shakefist:

This is probably true. I know my mother winces every time the top comes up on the Boxster.... but the default position is down :cool:

Just another one of the many things that impressed me about the NC Miata. Top down in a flick of the wrist. Pull it back up without getting out of your seat. No motor to wait for or burn out.

I should record the noise mine makes now if I try that. :lol: NO ONE WANTS MY TOP DOWN BELIEVE ME, YOU SHOULD ALL BE THANKFUL. It is a shame though, I had no issue with it being manual, DAMN YOU VW making it noisey so now I cannot use it!

It takes about seven hours to put the top up/down so I just leave it in the proper position. Which reminds me I need a tonneau.

Dude it's hot as balls outside I wouldn't be opening my top either (not that I would ever own a convertible they are silly IMO)
Just another one of the many things that impressed me about the NC Miata. Top down in a limp flick of the wrist.
FTFY :p

Last edited:
Their loss; they don't get to hear the requests of schoolkids on buses asking me to do a burnout. Which, unfortunately, I can't do; damn you mid-engine traction! :shakefist:

I get kids asking me to throw them a rev or three and do a wheelie. :D

Rule 4: If you're going to do something that's blatantly illegal and more serious than speeding, don't post the video on the internet. Better yet, don't film it in the first place.

:p

Three words: State jail felony.

Last edited:
Rule 4: If you're going to do something that's blatantly illegal and more serious than speeding, don't post the video on the internet. Better yet, don't film it in the first place.

:p

Three words: State jail felony.
Just call it Photoshop :)

Pass, no thanks. I have enough trouble keeping the nose down when I don't want a wheelie, rather not have evidence of it being done on purpose on a public street. :p

Last edited:
I get kids asking me to throw them a rev or three and do a wheelie. :D

I did give them a (perfectly legal, officer) WOT pull with my new intake and opened-up exhaust, so it wasn't all for naught. An adolescent "whoa" suggested that they approved. :mrgreen:

Pass, no thanks. I have enough trouble keeping the nose down when I don't want a wheelie, rather not have evidence of it being done on purpose on a public street. :p

It isn't that hard to keep the front down. Now the real trick is getting more than 25mpg or so. :mrgreen:

It isn't that hard to keep the front down. Now the real trick is getting more than 25mpg or so. :mrgreen:

That's the story I told the cop this morning, so I'm sticking to it. :p And only you get that terrible of gas mileage on this thing. :p

And now, a conversation with my father, under the hood of his car:
<Dad> Wait, what the hell is this fluid reservoir for?
<Me> That would be brake fluid. And it shouldn't be black.
<Dad> What, did someone put the wrong stuff in?
<Me> No, it's probably just 10 years old.
<Dad> There's nothing wrong with that.
<Me> Actually, there is. It absorbs water out of the air and stops being effective. I don't know where the black crap comes from, but that's not good either.
<Dad> Now you're talking like the guy at the tire shop
<Me> No, really. It's a hygroscopic liquid, which means it absorbs water out of the air. You're supposed to replace it every 2 years or so.

So now I have a set of speed-bleeders on order for his car. He's not normally this stupid, I swear.

2011-European-Toyota-Yaris-Its-a-Car1.jpg

Really? I thought it was a fridge! :p

Joking aside, it does look rather promising, especially for a Toyota

I'm sincerely excited about the new Yaris...The old one was a current Toyota that I actually kinda liked, especially in hatch form, this new one looks very sharp indeed. Now if only the interior is up to snuff, as the new one will start a bit more than the competition, it has no excuse not to be: http://news.consumerreports.org/car...is.html?EXTKEY=I91CONL&CMP=OTC-ConsumeristRSS

You would be excited about a toyota wouldn't you :p