Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Holy crap! That's only about 280 lb. lighter than my XTerra, and I'm hauling around a 4WD powertrain and a truck chassis!
It's like GM wasn't even trying. Imagine that! :lol:

The Mondeo is bigger than almost anything else in this class, that's sold over here. At 4.845m length and a wheelbase of 2.85m, it's longer than the:
-Mazda 6 (4.755m long, 2.72m wheelbase)
-Opel Insignia (4.83m long, 2.73m wheelbase)
-Honda Accord (4.74, 2.7)
-Toyota Avensis (4.695, 2.7), Hell, it's even longer than the Camry at 4.815m / 2.77m wheelbase
-Subaru Legacy (4.73, 2.75)
-VW Passat (4.77, 2.71)
-Citroen C5 (4.78, 2.81)
-Hyundai Sonata (4.8, 2.7)
-Peugeot 508 (4.79, 2.82)

In fact, the only car in this class which is longer than the Mondeo is... You guessed it, the American Chevy Malibu, ticking the meter at 4.87m (that said, the wheelbase is the same length as the Mondeo). So my point remains :p

If a couple mm makes a car go from mid sized to yacht, your definition has issues.

When my Volvo 850T was being a Volvo (broken down) for a quarter in uni. I drove this around:

800px-1993-Buick-Roadmaster-Estate.jpg

~218in of fuck yeah.

Going to pick up a 1973 Datsun 240Z for the Chump Car project... I'll probably put a thread up in "Post Your Car" section with some details about the process as we begin to get it race-ready.

If anyone in the NC-VA region is interested in driving, we'll be entering it in all of the VIR Chump Races for 2012. And we could definitely use another experienced driver or two, as well as some deck hands. Right now we've only got three definite drivers lined up, and I'd like to have at least 5.

You must buy a superb, before you give Narf some more rep.

My first car was a Ford Granada Estate from 1985, it was 5.02 meters long and 1.82 meters wide. That puts it close in size to a 1968 Dodge Charger. (I think, a car magazine made that reference.)

I did forget the Superb, which is 4.84m in its 3-box setup (how do you even call that? 4 doors with an option for 5? ) . The estate isn't sold over here, so my point still remains :p

argatoga, I didn't say that the Mondeo is a boat because it's 2cm longer than an Insignia. I just said it's a fairly large thing - the figures were just to show that it's larger than its opponents D:
By the way, I rummaged a bit in Wikipedia. The Mondeo is indeed a midsize car (according to that scheme the Polo is "subcompact" so apparently it's a car for midgets :D), but the Volvo S80 (with which it shares a platform) is an 'Executive' car. Supposedly, executive cars are larger than midsize cars. The Volvo is 1mm SHORTER, and that in Top Gear language is "the same length". So where does "Executive" come in? D:

Last edited:
pah, a Mondeo is not a landyacht, even by Euro standards

to me, a large car is a BMW 5 series estate or E class estate. You need go beyond that (ie Merc S class or BMW 7 series) to go real big

The Skoda is cool because it's identical in size to the E class while having the same toys and costing 50% of the big Merc

Am I alone thinking most of the Mondeo-class cars in Europe are already distustingly large? They don't have that much more space in side than their previous generation, and those already had more than enough for four regular europeans. They're also not luxury cars where you need to have space, or like taxis (E-class for example). I just can't imagine needing more space than regular 3-series offers for example. Great for two, four goes in okay comfort and five is bad, but at least I don't often need place for five.

And I don't have anything against big size of American cars, because let's face it, they're built for US driving conditions and you have normally more space on the road.

Am I alone thinking most of the Mondeo-class cars in Europe are already distustingly large? They don't have that much more space in side than their previous generation, and those already had more than enough for four regular europeans. They're also not luxury cars where you need to have space, or like taxis (E-class for example). I just can't imagine needing more space than regular 3-series offers for example. Great for two, four goes in okay comfort and five is bad, but at least I don't often need place for five.

:nod: I'd say my car is perfect in size if you want five usable seats and lots of cargo space. The Superb simply has more of everything, that boot is insane. Hell, people have complained about the boot stating "I can't reach stuff that sits right behind the rear seats" :lol:

In fact, imo the Superb is the ideal Taxi. More space on the rear seats than an E-class, insane boot, reasonable price, good taxish looks.

:nod: I'd say my car is perfect in size if you want five usable seats and lots of cargo space. The Superb simply has more of everything, that boot is insane. Hell, people have complained about the boot stating "I can't reach stuff that sits right behind the rear seats" :lol:

In fact, imo the Superb is the ideal Taxi. More space on the rear seats than an E-class, insane boot, reasonable price, good taxish looks.

Which is why it must be sold here, even as a VW, so that I can have one.