Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

silly random question : why is it that when you're refuelling the pump "clicks" to say the car is full, yet if you wait a bit you can still get 3-4 liters more in? Is it because the fuel takes a while to run down the hose thing to the fueltank?

look inside the nozzle, you'll see a big hole where petrol comes out, and a small straw like thingy. that is sucking constantly while you're filling up. from the moment it sucks up anything different from air, the pump stops. and as said before, the first times it will only have sucked in some foam, which settles, enabling you to add a few liters...

I've been window shopping online looking at the Ford Fusions. I test drove one a while back and liked it, and I kinda like the look, but it seems like the pricks who drove used BMW 3-series are migrating over to the Ford Fusion in this area. Half the time I see a Fusion around here, it's either racing through traffic, cutting people off, or something equally dumb and assholish. I pray this is only a local phenomenon.

Around here the Fusion drivers seem to be pretty sane, so it might just be your area.

I drove the 3l V6 for about 4000 miles last year for a road trip and can report that it is a very, very good car. Pretty good at offroading in Monument Valley too, surprisingly.

Yeah, I remember you showing up on the other side of the state with bits of Monument Valley still stuck to the wheel arches.

I want the Fusion Sport. Or the Lincoln MKZ.

Because 3.5 litre.

Maybe it's different with the MKZ, but my mother has a Zephyr and I find it quite weird to drive. You feel completely disconnected from everything. I keep steering too early or too much, or pressing the throttle and wondering why I'm not starting to move....

How does the Miata compare to the S2000? Or it doesn?t?
Anyone here driven both? I can only compare then in GT5...

They are both absolutely tiny, and I fit in neither.

How does the Miata compare to the S2000? Or it doesn?t?
Anyone here driven both? I can only compare then in GT5...

S2000 is larger, more powerful, more twitchy and more stiff. And less happy. But I've never driven an S2000 so this is all hearsay.

Trying to harness lightning for electrical energy is just about futile.
boo! party pooper! :p

okay I have another 2 questions, which can be replaced by one single one : how the fuck do some people live long enough to get a drivers licence?

Exhibit 1 : customer of mine is bitching about wanting a brand new clutch for free, because VW sucks. Since VW do occasiobally suck we send out a techie who discovers that in just 18 months and less thar 30.000 kms, the driver managed to burn out the clutch completely. I don't mean the clutch sticks, I mean the clutch discs itself were almost completely melted, not a single paper thingy inbetween them whatsoever.... how does one manage that after such a short period and short amount of kms? Ride the clutch constantly?

I've just passed 159.000 kms and am still on my original clutch, and I'm not exactly easy on it....

Exhibit 2 : Driver contacts us because he's stuck in the Italian Alps and claims his car is fucked, wanting a replacement. After prying a bit it seems all that was broken was the handbrake. But as he has 3 kids and his luggage onboard, he deems it unsafe to continue over hilly terrain without a handbrake....

my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg

So, a Caterham is a little out of the question? :mrgreen:

not if I build it myself. I can probably make the necessary changes, such as setting the seat farther back and extending the steering column.

not if I build it myself. I can probably make the necessary changes, such as setting the seat farther back and extending the steering column.

Adding a few inches of height to the rollbar too, I think. :p
Seriously, how tall are you again? 6'4"?

I just got "pwnt" I was going home on one of those major but light traffic streets we have here and doing around 30ish when a Smart flew up behind me and flashed me to speed up.
How did he get Jayne's hat?
This is not Jayne's hat. Jayne's hat was monochrome this one is two tone. /nerd.