Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

What do miatas have to do with illegal street racing?
I assume the reason it is frowned upon to post that shit here is it is basically promoting illegal activity and the site doesn't want that association, which is why there are no torrents hosted here.

My point wasn't about legality of anything...nevermind.

If it's "management" doesn't want it here, they can say so and I'll abide by the rules. That means videos that don't belong to members here are out as well, which sucks if you want to share something, like say a UGR TT Lambo having some fun, or the TX2K videos I've seen thrown around. Can't post those under your rules. I've posted my own videos in threads Viper posts in, maybe he saw them...has never said a word to me about it.

If no one else is doing anything wrong, what's wrong with police checking into the site? If you are clean, you have nothing to hide. I like how people thinks FinalGear would be at the top of the list for finding and catching street racers.

I'll let this topic go now, though I figure Spectre and others might continue to respond to get the last word. Anyone can PM me if you'd like to continue the discussions.

My point wasn't about legality of anything...nevermind.

If it's "management" doesn't want it here, they can say so and I'll abide by the rules. That means videos that don't belong to members here are out as well, which sucks if you want to share something, like say a UGR TT Lambo having some fun, or the TX2K videos I've seen thrown around. Can't post those under your rules. I've posted my own videos in threads Viper posts in, maybe he saw them...has never said a word to me about it.

If no one else is doing anything wrong, what's wrong with police checking into the site? If you are clean, you have nothing to hide. I like how people thinks FinalGear would be at the top of the list for finding and catching street racers.

I'll let this topic go now, though I figure Spectre and others might continue to respond to get the last word. Anyone can PM me if you'd like to continue the discussions.
The way I think is you do what you want, but I would personally rather not post video proof of stupid shit I do (and its plenty believe me) on a public forum. No one is going to actively stop you from posting w/e you want, afaik the rules say nothing about what you can and cannot post.

Anyone know of a way to get rid of the smelly stuff that dealers use to clean or deodorize vehicles? It makes me sneeze constantly. Would baking soda work?

Is it still possible to rent a car with a manual transmission in the USA?

Perhaps in California ... :shifty:

I need more car-oriented friends again so I can gleen more information and have someone correct me when needed. le sigh.

Last edited:
Hmmm...
I am planning a trip to the USA and teaching a friend how to drive stick seems harder than I thought.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Why not borrow a page from TopGear's book?

Buy a manual car and use that. What city/area are you going to? We can look for cars for you.

The problem is that a lot of used manuals have burned clutches.

Perhaps in California ... :shifty:

I need more car-oriented friends again so I can gleen more information and have someone correct me when needed. le sigh.

I wasn?t planning on visiting California, but I might be persuaded to change my mind. :p

Why not borrow a page from TopGear's book?

Buy a manual car and use that. What city/area are you going to? We can look for cars for you.

So far, it?s only a plan, but thanks anyway. :)

Last edited:
Unless you are renting from a performance specialty agency, the answer is pretty much "no". I tried a while ago and still ended up with a slushbox 350Z.

Unless you are renting from a performance specialty agency, the answer is pretty much "no". I tried a while ago and still ended up with a slushbox 350Z.

:(

You can actually more or less blame Britney Spears for that one, actually. Prior to 2001 some of the major national rental fleets still had manual transmission cars, but after this well publicized bit of stupidity they were all removed. The only major national chain that still has any manual cars at all (that I know of) is Hertz, and that's their Hertz Mustang GT from the Fun Collection.

However, there are many smaller regional or local chains that sometimes offer manual transmission cars. You may also be able to find one at the Rent-A-Wreck chain. Caveat emptor there, though, and there are significant upcharges.

Last edited:
You can actually more or less blame Britney Spears for that one, actually.

I'd like to hear the story behind this one.... :blink:

I'd like to hear the story behind this one.... :blink:

Link has been provided above. She shifted into second at 85mph from (IIRC) fifth. Apparently the resulting engine grenade and crash was quite impressive.

After that, fleet managers decided better safe than sorry and that was the end of national chain purchases of manuals in any numbers. They were an endangered species before, but they went extinct shortly afterwards.

Last edited:
After that, fleet managers decided better safe than sorry and that was the end of national chain purchases of manuals in any numbers. They were an endangered species before, but they went extinct shortly afterwards.

I remember back in the Sixties - when Hertz was renting Shelby Mustangs - in order to rent a 4 speed version you had to prove to Hertz that you could drive a stick by taking a sort of driver's test. Passing the test resulted in you being given a card stating that you were a member of the Hertz Sports Car Drivers Club. Perhaps something similar could be done today? (The test bit, not the club bit. Showing a Sports Car Driver's Club card to rent a 5 speed Hyundai Accent would be depressing and wrong.)

In other news, I have pretty much decided on a car. Pretty much. I have narrowed my choices down to a Ford sedan with SYNC, leather interior, and a sunroof. My mom is still pushing the Outback, but I've only managed to find 2 H6 Outbacks with fewer than a 100K miles in my area. But there are plenty of Fusions and Tauruses around. And I've even been considering getting a Mercury Sable, just so I can be different. That is, until I saw the Sable's taillights.
https://pic.armedcats.net/p/ph/phoenixsac/2011/08/23/7536159-6-5-0ede5f20.jpg
Good Lord, it has cataracts.

And I'm pretty sure that a fad has officially faded by the time that Mercury picks up on it.

I'd get a Milan. I think they look just "that" much more classier than a Fusion. You can even get them fairly loaded with a stick although those are likely hard to find on the used market. I've always thought Mercury's looked better than their Ford counterparts.:)

Last edited:
Telephone call with a not a dude gearhead friend last night.......

Buy a HiLux, paint it bright fuschia pink (she said purple) and then write "Indestructible but faaabulous!" down the side.

Telephone call with a not a dude gearhead friend last night.......

Buy a HiLux, paint it bright fuschia pink (she said purple) and then write "Indestructible but faaabulous!" down the side.

tumblr_l9qoe6BSQD1qzzud0.jpg

The new stablebeater just blew a tire, it's now at the usual shop where they're checking how much will it cost to get it back to full operational status. (Tires, the suspension seems to be a bit worse for wear)

Last edited:
What cockstain automotive engineer decided the best way to hold my Dakota's steering column cover on would be torx bits recessed 5 inches deep? I don't own any torx drivers that are both long enough to reach the damned screws and thin enough to fit in the damned hole.

Fortunately, it's a ghetto-shitbox pickup truck. A busted off steering column cover is the least of its worries.