Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The Galardo was piquant? but not quite as spicy as lamborghini bars he's had before.

You know how you feel when you walk in on a really weird conversation at a particularly inexplicable moment? Yeah.

Well, I got some good news that my severance check from work might be a bit larger than expected. So, instead of looking at Crown Vics and Hyundais, I decided to set my sights a bit higher.

Found a couple of nice Charger SRT8s for sale - hmm... big trunk, and the seats fold down too. That's very practical. A white Challenger R/T with the 6 speed manual that looked so perfect I was tempted to change my name to Kowalski.

Then I do some further research. The SRT8 has a rather rough ride due to the sport suspension and the 20" wheels. Moving to New Hampshire, I know the ride would knock out all my fillings once I got there. The interior is kind of plasticky and cheap feeling. And then, the kicker - the tires are not at all made for the winter. For a set of good tires, I'd have to spend another $1200, plus the cost of getting them mounted and balanced. And did I mention that they are all season tires?

DAMN YOU REAL WORLD! WHY MUST YOU INVADE MY DREAMS? :shakefist:

So, it looks like I'll have to be somewhat practical. I like the 2010 Ford Fusion Sport with the larger 3.5 V6, or maybe go with the Lincoln MKZ which has the same engine standard and thus may be easier to find. Plus, both cars have the Microsoft SYNC ICE system which I like.

Wait, what's this? A 2011 Mustang GT 5.0? And it has SYNC too?

i think you know which to choose ;-)

Well, I got some good news that my severance check from work might be a bit larger than expected. So, instead of looking at Crown Vics and Hyundais, I decided to set my sights a bit higher.

Found a couple of nice Charger SRT8s for sale - hmm... big trunk, and the seats fold down too. That's very practical. A white Challenger R/T with the 6 speed manual that looked so perfect I was tempted to change my name to Kowalski.

Then I do some further research. The SRT8 has a rather rough ride due to the sport suspension and the 20" wheels. Moving to New Hampshire, I know the ride would knock out all my fillings once I got there. The interior is kind of plasticky and cheap feeling. And then, the kicker - the tires are not at all made for the winter. For a set of good tires, I'd have to spend another $1200, plus the cost of getting them mounted and balanced. And did I mention that they are all season tires?

DAMN YOU REAL WORLD! WHY MUST YOU INVADE MY DREAMS? :shakefist:

So, it looks like I'll have to be somewhat practical. I like the 2010 Ford Fusion Sport with the larger 3.5 V6, or maybe go with the Lincoln MKZ which has the same engine standard and thus may be easier to find. Plus, both cars have the Microsoft SYNC ICE system which I like.

Wait, what's this? A 2011 Mustang GT 5.0? And it has SYNC too?

:hmm: Im sure youre gonna find the perfect ride, but it takes time. :unsure:

What about an AWD Magnum with the 5.7? Seems to meet all your needs and address all the complaints you had...no?

In honor of Labor Day, it appears that we may be taking my friend's POS Mercedes C220 out to the back 40 and punching high velocity holes in it. He no longer wishes to labor upon it; it decided to roll open the sunroof in the rain that hit his ranch and it now has 3" of water in it.

What about an AWD Magnum with the 5.7? Seems to meet all your needs and address all the complaints you had...no?

The problem with the Magnum is the same cheap plasticky interior as the Charger. (Plus, I've heard some horror stories about Chrysler reliabilty - like get ready to rebuild the transmission at 90-100K miles)

I don't really need all wheel drive. (Unless I was buying a pickup. A 2WD pickup is useless in the winter unless you're carrying 200lbs of sand in the bed.) I've made it through a few Maine winters with only 2WD. I'd rather have the lower weight, less complexity, and dry road handling of 2WD.

I do like the Mustang, but I might have to leave a few things behind. That is, unless my sister gets off her ass and answers her damn phone! (Long story.) And there are a lot of nice Mustangs in my price range - 2005-10 GTs out the ying-yang, Bullitts, Shelby GTs, you name it. I get my check next month - we'll have to see what's available then. Who knows - I could be driving home in a Chevy HHR SS. :D

The problem with the Magnum is the same cheap plasticky interior as the Charger. (Plus, I've heard some horror stories about Chrysler reliabilty - like get ready to rebuild the transmission at 90-100K miles)

It's a Mercedes transmission similar to the one in the E55, ML-series, and the X100/X308 R-model Jaguars. Blows up the exact same way.

It's a Mercedes transmission similar to the one in the E55, ML-series, and the X100/X308 R-model Jaguars. Blows up the exact same way.

Considering that Mercedes quality slipped considerably during the Daimler-Benz takeover "merger of equals" of Chrysler, I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Considering that Mercedes quality slipped considerably during the Daimler-Benz takeover "merger of equals" of Chrysler, I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Specifically, those gearboxes I listed also explode and need rebuild/repair at about 100K. I am noting that despite the fact that it's in a Chrysler vehicle, you should expect to pay Mercedes rebuild prices.

It looks like a ten-year-old Hyundai Accent and sounds like a bag of nails. What does it cost? :p
I went to the configurator and clicked every option I could find (which I assume includes radio and speakers, but I can't read russian) and it spat out a recommended price of 408 300 rubles, which is 89 945 SEK or ?9 885 or $13 985. That's the "Comfort" trim level.

Fun at the configurator: http://www.lada.ru/configurator/divdesign.php?step=1

[Update]
The Lada configurator is really fun in that if you tick options OFF, the price goes UP. So the Sport (?????) is 430 300 rubles, and for that price increase you get to live without parking assist, rainsense and headlight washers, Google translate tells me. Same power as the Comfort, 72kW.

What I love is the way is even the great "Sport" model (note the carbage spoiler straight from the factory!) doesn't get a radio as standard. :lol:
You do not need radio with AUX-input, because in Russia, car plays you anyway!

Last edited:
I've been looking at JZA80 Supras for the past couple of days and I'm struggling to find a nice clean one. They're either riced to hell, automatic or, IMO, are far too built for street use.

I went to the configurator and clicked every option I could find (which I assume includes radio and speakers, but I can't read russian) and it spat out a recommended price of 408 300 rubles, which is 89 945 SEK or ?9 885 or $13 985. That's the "Comfort" trim level.

I could have a brand new top spec Lada (2107) Riva for ?4500! :lol:
(Although the options list pretty much consists of alloy wheels and a spare tyre!)

In honor of Labor Day, it appears that we may be taking my friend's POS Mercedes C220 out to the back 40 and punching high velocity holes in it. He no longer wishes to labor upon it; it decided to roll open the sunroof in the rain that hit his ranch and it now has 3" of water in it.
If you don't post a video of that.... well I really can't do anything but will be sad :p

ROFL, throttle by wire is an OPTION. And they still make the 2107???? Ahh Russian, you fail at cars as much as you excel in weapons.

Last edited: