Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

$13200 is what a base Fiesta costs.
2012 Fiat 500. Base price, $15500

Damn you and your edits...i saw it as 18k and was about to call you out! :p

Yes the Fiesta Base trim is cheaper, but remember all it doesn't come with: No CD player, no telematics, no heated mirrors (arguably a safety feature), no keyless entry, no chrome exterior accents, and no sport steering mode.

Yes, I know...internet petitions don't work....but let's give this one a try: http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/jalopnik/full/~3/Wfpn8c51ieo/disagree-with-25+year-car-import-ban-sign-this-petition

Last edited:

Yes the Fiesta Base trim is cheaper, but remember all it doesn't come with: No CD player, no telematics, no heated mirrors (arguably a safety feature), no keyless entry, no chrome exterior accents, and no sport steering mode.

Yes, I know...internet petitions don't work....but let's give this one a try: http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/jalopnik/full/~3/Wfpn8c51ieo/disagree-with-25+year-car-import-ban-sign-this-petition

That;s just another way for govt to track us!

Most of that stuff nobody in that market niche cares about. Heated mirrors are pretty much useless in about half the country, keyless entry is de rigeur for even the Chevy Aveo, and 'sport steering mode' is only needed because the base steering mode is 'unconnected' - and do you REALLY expect Italian electric steering to stay working?? Also, the chrome trim package for the thing is ooooogly.

The Fiesta SE sedan has a $1000 advantage over the base 500 and it comes with most of the 'missing' features. At the low end of the market, $1000 is significant.

Then there's the Hyundai Accent GS at $14,595. Plenty of other cheaper cars with better value propositions than the 500.

Last edited:
I didn't know Toyota made Tacoma hybrids..

Sidenote; 3 hybrids at one light.. all Toyota.

The Fiesta also has a longer warranty and Ford has a way better image than Chrysler/Fiat right now.

The Fiesta also has a longer warranty and Ford has a way better image than Chrysler/Fiat right now.

Not to mention a dealer network that's not a joke. Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealers aren't authorized warranty service providers, and Fiat dealers aka 'salons' are few and far between.

The 500 is to small for anything other than a spare vehicle for when the main one dies. But it would cost to much to keep it in the back of the van. :p

2001/2002 Nissan Maxima, starter coils, MAF and ECM sensor issues a big deal?

Insurance is anywhere from 500$ - 1000$ so its not bad at all IMO.

I came to my senses and decided a 2004 Maxima just isn't worth it (8k for car, 2 grand to 4 grand a year to insure..)

With this gen I would probably halo light the front, black grille it as well as lower it.

The ECM isn't a sensor. It's the main computer. Add that to the other problems and it sounds like a car someone fried the entire electrical system on.

Also nice list of ricer crap.

Last edited:
The ECM isn't a sensor. It's the main computer.

Also nice list of ricer crap.

Thank you :) I'm rather proud of it. As a Japanese citizen who enjoys domestic Japanese rice, ricing is my way to show my pride to my rice farmers. XD jk

But on a serious note how is the reliability. It seems half the people say its bullet proof/not much work, while the other claims its trouble.

Most 'Japanese' market rice isn't grown in Japan, and that isn't a compliment.

Also, reread my edited post.

Thank you :) I'm rather proud of it. As a Japanese citizen who enjoys domestic Japanese rice, ricing is my way to show my pride to my rice farmers. XD jk

But on a serious note how is the reliability. It seems half the people say its bullet proof/not much work, while the other claims its trouble.
I'm with Spectre on this one, if a car needs a new ECM, coils and a MAF at only 9-10 years old there is something seriously wrong with it. Even the VAG mobile I had didn't need a MAF and ECM (did need coils at some point though). I believe that katwalk's bug doesn't need any of that either. Hell my 98 Scoobie doesn't need any of that (well doesn't have coils period).

Most 'Japanese' market rice isn't grown in Japan, and that isn't a compliment.

Also, reread my edited post.

Yea, I know its a insult but I am 22 its my first car and regardless of what I buy its not going to be something "magical" so I may as well do something to it and get any ricer out of my system. If it were a nice CL600AMG, or an Aston Martin DB12 or even a base c class mercedes I wouldn't want to touch the thing.

See ricky hasnt shown any of his inner ricer... not even tinting his windows. In 15 years we are going to see him in a "classic" yet still shitty Saturn SL riced out because it wasnt out of the system when he was young.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=2001&make=Nissan&model=Maxima

Seems like a sorta long list, especially for a Japanese car.

I'm with Spectre on this one, if a car needs a new ECM, coils and a MAF at only 9-10 years old there is something seriously wrong with it. Even the VAG mobile I had didn't need a MAF and ECM (did need coils at some point though). I believe that katwalk's bug doesn't need any of that either. Hell my 98 Scoobie doesn't need any of that (well doesn't have coils period).

It's a diesel? :p

On the subject of engine braking. I do it all the time, but I worry that it might not be good for my car. Anyone know if any sort of damage could result from engine braking regularly (and by regularly, I mean every time I slow down or stop).