Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I still think you had a lemon. Electrical failures are the least common problems in the 850. I can sort of agree on the automatic transmission, although if maintained properly they last for 200k miles.

I still think you had a lemon. Electrical failures are the least common problems in the 850. I can sort of agree on the automatic transmission, although if maintained properly they last for 200k miles.

Problem is the 850 has a horrid TrueDelta rating, so it wasn't just me with issues.

So work has kept me away from car hunting but I found this

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...eu-reparations-1-800-FERME-W0QQAdIdZ333800071

It needs valve coils, spark plugs, battery, thermostat, antifreeze flush and some other repairs (quoted at 880$ at a reputable local Volvo dealership)

Couldn't find stats past 2001 but repair for that problem seems cheap: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=2001&make=Volvo&model=C70

I don't know any details on the reliability of the C70s, but I wouldn't buy one for that cost. It is screaming it has a problem.

I don't know any details on the reliability of the C70s, but I wouldn't buy one for that cost. It is screaming it has a problem.

That one until the year 2000 goes from 2400$ to 3900$ so 1800$+880$ repair is reasonable price.

Ricky is bitching (I wish I had a better word XD) about how I shouldnt get this....http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...evrolet-Silverado-1500-SUV-W0QQAdIdZ333588763

Yet he says buy this http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=317030742

... found it in classic cars...

Last edited:
That one until the year 2000 goes from 2400$ to 3900$ so 1800$+880$ repair is reasonable price.

Ricky is bitching (I wish I had a better word XD) about how I shouldnt get this....http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...evrolet-Silverado-1500-SUV-W0QQAdIdZ333588763

Yet he says buy this http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...evrolet-Silverado-1500-SUV-W0QQAdIdZ333588763

What were you requirements for a car again? You are all over the board.

Basically that's it.. all over the board.

> safe / decent crash test (2 airbags, and adjustable bigger headrests, not the half headrests like in the Ford Thunderbird (1997 and previous)
> reliable
> that I fit well and comfortable
> gas mileage not horrendous... my dad gets 280miles or more on a tank with his 2002 silverado 1500hd 2wd crew cab so its "not bad", I'm used to it
> 0-60 in 7sec or under (or 8sec or under if its a truck/suv)
> SALT SAFE / rust free / good condition. And if its over 3 grand treated to anti rust yearly/biyearly since it makes a world of difference here

Jaguar XJ6 has to go off my list for now since all the nice ones are packed away for winter (ill look next summer)

Last edited:
Basically that's it.. all over the board.

> safe / decent crash test (2 airbags, and adjustable bigger headrests, not the half headrests like in the Ford Thunderbird (1997 and previous)
> reliable
> that I fit well and comfortable
> gas mileage not horrendous... my dad gets 280miles or more on a tank with his 2002 silverado 1500hd 2wd crew cab so its "not bad", I'm used to it
> 0-60 in 7sec or under (or 8sec or under if its a truck/suv)
> SALT SAFE / rust free / good condition. And if its over 3 grand treated to anti rust yearly/biyearly since it makes a world of difference here

Jaguar XJ6 has to go off my list for now since all the nice ones are packed away for winter (ill look next summer)

I'd be looking at Crown Vics/Mercury Grand Marquise.

no crown vic please, it doesnt fit in my parking spot and if I buy something that wont fit, Ill do it right with a truck!

Whats so bad about the C70? From what Ive been reading its better than most Volvos from that time.

Yet he says buy this *insert alfa romeo ad here*

That was a joke and you know it. I wouldn't really say go buy a Alfa...

He IS all over the board, and ignoring sensible options for the teeniest of reasons and excuses. He won't even test drive anything just to see if he fits, he just guesses.

Nothing is wrong with the C70 per se. It is a very beautiful coupe. Mechanically, it's on the same platform as the 850/S70/V70. This being a 99 model, it is the first year they put Electronic Throttle Modules (Italian) and they fail around 90k miles. It's not a question of "if", it's "when". Cost of replacement is around $300.

It's also an automatic, so it's imperative that you test drive it and look at the color of the fluid. If the fluid is black, and you feel harsh shifting...run away.

In addition to everything, I see it has 220k km on the clock. That's a worry. These car can last a long time, but it is around this mileage that a lot of things start failing - most definitely radiator, heater core, front suspension.

I would say that for the price, considering there are no major issues, it seems like a good buy. I personally wouldn't buy it just because it is automatic and has the LPT engine. If I were you, I would look for a 98 car (better reliability) with the HPT T5 engine and the manual gearbox. But that's just me...

Sounds like the fusebox was actually starting to melt.

In other news, going to go look at this sub-$1500 9th-gen F250 with the 7.3L PowerStroke diesel tomorrow. Complete with the vomitium "we got it from a Tempo" interior.

No worse than some earlier projects, and it does run/drive and pass inspection, plus it's recently had the transmission rebuilt.

If I get it, the interior won't be red for long...

Sweet! Check the mounting where the door handle bolts to, the metal sometimes splits. It's a bitch to weld some poop in and put a bolt and nut in, but it's functional.

Is it a Turbo or N/A?

That was a joke and you know it. I wouldn't really say go buy a Alfa...

He IS all over the board, and ignoring sensible options for the teeniest of reasons and excuses. He won't even test drive anything just to see if he fits, he just guesses.

Thats cuz I dont want to go an hour away to not fit and waste 3 hours of my weekend XD.

Nothing is wrong with the C70 per se. It is a very beautiful coupe. Mechanically, it's on the same platform as the 850/S70/V70. This being a 99 model, it is the first year they put Electronic Throttle Modules (Italian) and they fail around 90k miles. It's not a question of "if", it's "when". Cost of replacement is around $300.

It's also an automatic, so it's imperative that you test drive it and look at the color of the fluid. If the fluid is black, and you feel harsh shifting...run away.

In addition to everything, I see it has 220k km on the clock. That's a worry. These car can last a long time, but it is around this mileage that a lot of things start failing - most definitely radiator, heater core, front suspension.

I would say that for the price, considering there are no major issues, it seems like a good buy. I personally wouldn't buy it just because it is automatic and has the LPT engine. If I were you, I would look for a 98 car (better reliability) with the HPT T5 engine and the manual gearbox. But that's just me...

Yea, MSN Autos only lists the ETM as a problem with the car and hints at a 150$ repair to get it replaced?

Yea most cars in my range are around 150-200k km on it so that's a concern/part of owning a car but for each of those things that could fail am I looking at a 300$ fix or 1000$+ for each?

Only 1998 I can find is trashed... looks like a redneck drove it to death .. its stick but needs new front shocks etc.

Sweet! Check the mounting where the door handle bolts to, the metal sometimes splits. It's a bitch to weld some poop in and put a bolt and nut in, but it's functional.

Is it a Turbo or N/A?

All PowerStrokes are turbo diesels. :p

As for the door handle, yeah, heard about that issue but it's mostly only prevalent in places where they rust. :p

Okay. This is a VERY important question:

(click for higher res so you can appreciate just how shit my workmanship is)

What should the labels for those switches be?

(Left is actually the radiator fan - right is the cabin blower)

that part of my truck wasn't rusted! Honestly!

And well, I'm not a diesel person...

SMOKE and FIRE.

NOS.

japanadian, just buy an Acura or Honda.

SMOKE and FIRE.

Yeah, Amazon isn't in any fucking hurry to deliver my goddamned solder terminals and heatshrink - it's all wire-nut-and-tape at the moment, so there is the outside chance that they'll actually do that.

Yea, MSN Autos only lists the ETM as a problem with the car and hints at a 150$ repair to get it replaced?

Yea most cars in my range are around 150-200k km on it so that's a concern/part of owning a car but for each of those things that could fail am I looking at a 300$ fix or 1000$+ for each?

Only 1998 I can find is trashed... looks like a redneck drove it to death .. its stick but needs new front shocks etc.

For some reason I thought the ETM was more. Just the part is around $100.

As for the rest - they are fairly cheap.
- radiator - part is $200 (there are some cheaper, but they are crap) and labor is around 1.5 hours
- heater core - part is $70 and labor is around 1.5 hours
- spring seats (strut caps/tops...people call them differently) - part is $20 and labor is again 1.5 hours (per side)

Another thing that fails are the handbrake shoes. The rear brakes are discs, but the handbrake is on the drum principle. At this mileage and age the shoes tend to separate. It's a costly fix - around $300. But since the car is automatic, you can drive without a handbrake (as long as it's not an inspection failure).