Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

@_HighVoltage_ - So this whole Volvo = money pit isnt valid for all volvos then? Mind if I add you to skype and we could type there to prevent clogging up the random thread?

In other news I tried a pair of these on the other day.

I found them at winners just one pair but they were too small probably a size 11.

What are they worth? I cant even figure out the exact model besides Santoni for AMG

Santoni%20Racing%20Shoes.jpg

Last edited:
Another thing that fails are the handbrake shoes. The rear brakes are discs, but the handbrake is on the drum principle. At this mileage and age the shoes tend to separate. It's a costly fix - around $300. But since the car is automatic, you can drive without a handbrake (as long as it's not an inspection failure).

Never skimp on brakes. Even if it is "only" the hand break.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Despite what Volvoboy there says, the statistics show that most of the FWD Volvos just aren't very reliable.

Apart from TrueDelta and the Volvo-haters around here :p , the cars are fairly reliable, as long as you maintain them. That's one thing you have to realize - Volvos require maintenance! The owner's manual has a schedule for servicing certain items and it is not to be ignored. With some cars you can do that. If you want a car that you can neglect...go and get a Corolla or an Accord.

As for crash safety: like I said earlier, the C70 is structurally the same as the 850/S70. That platform was developed when the offset head-on test was not industry standard. I've seen videos from the early 90's when the cars get plunged directly into a concrete wall and their structural integrity was impressive.
But, with the new test, where only half the car hits the wall, these Volvo's don't do so well and there is some body frame twisting.

So, FinalGear Top Tip there: If you have an older Volvo, and you are about to be in a head-on accident, make sure that you aim well and hit the other car full frontal. ;)

Apart from TrueDelta and the Volvo-haters around here :p , the cars are fairly reliable, as long as you maintain them. That's one thing you have to realize - Volvos require maintenance! The owner's manual has a schedule for servicing certain items and it is not to be ignored. With some cars you can do that. If you want a car that you can neglect...go and get a Corolla or an Accord.

As for crash safety: like I said earlier, the C70 is structurally the same as the 850/S70. That platform was developed when the offset head-on test was not industry standard. I've seen videos from the early 90's when the cars get plunged directly into a concrete wall and their structural integrity was impressive.
But, with the new test, where only half the car hits the wall, these Volvo's don't do so well and there is some body frame twisting.

So, FinalGear Top Tip there: If you have an older Volvo, and you are about to be in a head-on accident, make sure that you aim well and hit the other car full frontal. ;)

Also added you to skype (would have pmed but I registered too late XD)

The guy says he had the brakes and bushings repaired in the back for 1300$...:|

Since this one is in the dealer atm waiting to see if it should be repaired I'm guessing I cant really test drive it is it worth considering it still?

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1998-to-2004-volvo-c70-6.htm

Item Name Repair Cost
A/C Compressor $585
Alternator $410
Automatic Transmission or Transaxle $920
Brakes $310
Clutch, Pressure Plate, Bearing $650
Constant Velocity Joints $1,150
Exhaust System $445
Radiator $475
Shocks and/or Struts $1,435
Timing Chain or Belt $415

Here is the 2000-2003 maxima for comparison

Item Name Repair Cost
A/C Compressor $705
Alternator $290
Automatic Transmission or Transaxle $1,310
Brakes $455
Clutch, Pressure Plate, Bearing $635
Constant Velocity Joints $740
Exhaust System $480
Radiator $380
Shocks and/or Struts $470
Timing Chain or Belt $460

Last edited:

All those who post information on Volvo's at TrueDela are Volvo owners. :p I only dislike Volvos because I owned one. :p I agree an Acura is a much more reliable alternative.

damn you gotta pay =.=;

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/buyers-guide/volvo_c70_1998_1999_model_watch

Written in 2009 he claims its reliable... never hear of him tho

Oh yes if you don't register a car you need to pay, I can provide information.

Last edited:
japanadian is viewing this thread so I'll risk a double post. There aren't any C70s on TrueDelta, but since it is based on the S70 here are the reliability figures reported by owners from those years.

Red is bad, having over a hundred owners reporting bad experiences is very very bad.

Thats cuz I dont want to go an hour away to not fit and waste 3 hours of my weekend XD.
You, good man, are doing it wrong. Buying a car like the ones you want on your budget is a full-time job. If you have a problem with "wasting" three hours because you got a hunch you might not fit in the car, just buy some sensible japanese sedan.

You, good man, are doing it wrong. Buying a car like the ones you want on your budget is a full-time job. If you have a problem with "wasting" three hours because you got a hunch you might not fit in the car, just buy some sensible japanese sedan.

It's like talking to a wall...:p

Japanadian, look at some used Lexi and Acura's. The ES or TL could give you the luxury you want at a price you can realistically afford maintenance wise.

japanadian is viewing this thread so I'll risk a double post. There aren't any C70s on TrueDelta, but since it is based on the S70 here are the reliability figures reported by owners from those years.

Red is bad, having over a hundred owners reporting bad experiences is very very bad.

I hate this website. It doesn't represent a reliable sample of owners. It's multiple times more likely that people will go on there to bitch about when they have a problem with their car, but the thousands other owners who have trouble-free motoring wouldn't register to report that "all is well".

I hate this website. It doesn't represent a reliable sample of owners. It's multiple times more likely that people will go on there to bitch about when they have a problem with their car, but the thousands other owners who have trouble-free motoring wouldn't register to report that "all is well".

Yet there are plenty of cars well into the green range with even more reviewers. It's only negatively biased towards unreliable cars. :p

Last edited:

You might as well conclude that broken late 90s Volvo drivers are more likely to use the internet :dunno:

Thanks for posting mate, Ill consider the C70 if one comes up even with that rating but for now its on the list unless I find something else. It joins the Maxima. Ive been hoping a good condition maxima for a good price pops up.

Usually it is for a sensible Japanese sedan XD. I also have tons of patience

*chart*

Curious, what do they say about a particular year of Saturn S-Series? :p

You might as well conclude that broken late 90s Volvo drivers are more likely to use the internet :dunno:

I would not conclude that, but we have to consider it. The demographic of every car brand is vastly different. Drivers of broken Volvo's may as well be more likely to complain on that website, compared to Civic drivers. But we don't know that. And because of this, we can't concede my point that Volvo's are reliable, but neither can we trust a website like this, because its sample is dubious at best.

(just as an example, I was looking at my car's history - the first owner took it several times to the dealer over the period of a couple of years, and a few of the trips were for things as simple as "new windshield wipers" or "new taillight bulb". Just because he was the sort of person whose hands are in his ass, and can't change his own wipers, should we conclude that the car was unreliable because of frequent trips to the dealer?)