Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

So the spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all.

And I'm not deluding anyone, I'm sharing what I know about these cars and their problems. If anything, you're the one trying to delude people that Volvos are the most unreliable POS. They have their issues, but the advantages far outweigh the negatives.
That's kind of major though, I mean my VAG mobile didn't need spring seats replaced every 2 years and they tend to be butts of most jokes about reliability.
It cannot. I can't buy a longer cable as the door to the box won't close, will investigate further, and just burn myself an MP3 CD, 128 or so songs should last.
Look for a flat AUX cable, you know like some headphones have, maybe then it will be small enough to let the door close.

SF Auto show today.

Newish cars liked: Hyundai Veloster, Fiat 500, Ford Focus, Beetle Turbo (wat), Mini Works Coupe

I think I'm going to go test drive all of them. Maybe not the beetle though. I do think it's a good car, but it's not my type.

Ford is also paying me 50 bucks to test drive the Focus.

Just got back from the Arizona International Auto Show myself. Some manufacturers were doing test drives at the event. I got to drive the new Hyundai Equus, Genesis R, Veloster, and Mustang, plus a few other boring things like the new V6 Camry. Very impressed with the Hyundais, the V8's pulled strong.

Our 2007 Focus' AUX jack is in the stupidest place, in the glove box. We have the Sony unit, and if I use my iPod in the car, then I can't close the glove box, which is really annoying for passengers. Is there a special cable or anything or is it just a design flaw?
The AUX port on my Mustang in the console compartment and you can - in theory - control the iPod through the head unit. I'm too lazy to figure it out though, and just use the voice commands through SYNC. There has to be a way you can control your iPod with the head unit on your car stereo.

The AUX port on my Mustang in the console compartment and you can - in theory - control the iPod through the head unit. I'm too lazy to figure it out though, and just use the voice commands through SYNC. There has to be a way you can control your iPod with the head unit on your car stereo.

Remember that their 07 focus was vastly different (and superior) from our 07 "Yes we refreshed the same damn car from 2000 for a 2nd time, u mad?" Focus

That's kind of major though, I mean my VAG mobile didn't need spring seats replaced every 2 years and they tend to be butts of most jokes about reliability.

I've had this conversation with mechanics before. The VAG design of strut mounts/spring seats is vastly superior to Volvo's. Sure, they also wear out and need replacing, but with a VAG there is no chance that the strut will start banging on the hood of the car (twice has that happened to my old Volvo. Fun times.)

So the 4 spoke steering wheel in my car has been pissing me off. For one its entirely too large for my taste for two it has 4 frigging spokes GRRRRRRRR. Normally it wouldn't be much of a problem as I could get a cheepo "racing" wheel for it since I don't much care about safety but since the fiancee is driving the car as well airbag is a must. Anyone know if I could retrofit my car with one of the newer 3-spokes from either later gen Legacys or Impreza/WRX? The wheel itself only has airbag and horn in it so I wouldn't have to worry about crazy wiring for things like volume control. Guess main question would be whether the airbag connector would be the same or easily modified (my assumption is that it shouldn't be more than like 2 wires for it).
I've had this conversation with mechanics before. The VAG design of strut mounts/spring seats is vastly superior to Volvo's. Sure, they also wear out and need replacing, but with a VAG there is no chance that the strut will start banging on the hood of the car (twice has that happened to my old Volvo. Fun times.)
Does Volvo use Mac Struts on their cars? Audi (I'd assume VW as well) design is a 4link so that could very well be the difference.

Last edited:
Sri Lankas very first highway opened yesterday. On news today -

I don't want to step on it for at least another month till all the speed freaks gets their thrills... >>

Does Volvo use Mac Struts on their cars? Audi (I'd assume VW as well) design is a 4link so that could very well be the difference.

It's a 4-link indeed, with Mac struts. There's hardly any mass-produced cars around (even less mass-produced FWD cars) that don't have McPherson.

I'm putting a wreath on the grille of the X and I can't find any 12v Christmas lights that don't have a plug on the end. Any ideas on where to wire these in so they come on when the car is running but not when it is off? Difficulty: all my electrics except the battery terminals are in waterproof boxes or inside the cabin.

You could run switch from your cabin to the battery. Or like the previous owner did with the marker lights in the lund visor on my truck, run it to the gauge lights and shove a furreled end of the wire into the fuse plug/jack.

Saw a camoflaged up new Land Rover today; pretty certain it was the new Range Rover. While the front had all the blocky camo, the back just had the swirls and looked the bee's knees. :)

You could run switch from your cabin to the battery. Or like the previous owner did with the marker lights in the lund visor on my truck, run it to the gauge lights and shove a furreled end of the wire into the fuse plug/jack.

I'm not using my radar detector right now, I suppose I can just splice the lighting wire and run it through he firewall temporarily and plug it into the hidden 12v plug I installed.

I'm not using my radar detector right now, I suppose I can just splice the lighting wire and run it through he firewall temporarily and plug it into the hidden 12v plug I installed.

That seems like a lot of work for something that will be on your truck for less than a month. I'd keep the wreath but not bother with the lights.

@Blind: Why not splice a 12v cigarette lighter plug onto it with a long wire and have it coming through the door seal? Just tape the wire to the side of the body or along the bonnet crack to hide it.

So I might have had my first driving lesson today... yes i'm 132 years late, big whoop wanna fight about it?

Firstly the Corsa 1.3 cdti, is the fastest car in the world. I'm as close as makes no difference 6 foot, I have no idea where the front bumper or wings are, all I can see is 14 miles of dashboard. Also it has the stupidest indicator stalk in the world, I don't see the advantage.

On the plus side, the industrial estate we were on, someone else was learning to drive... in a Beetle. :lol: It was a guy, which makes it worse.

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Volvo-C70-Coupe-a-Laval-W0QQAdIdZ319573750

Good: rare/famous color, never winter driven to his knowledge (bought it 3 years after original owner with no records and no snow tires which if it was winter driven snow tires are almost always included here) but its also low mileage

Negative: No service records, claims to only have gotten oil changes and had the alternator/head lamp switch replaced paid cash so no records.

Electric seat has some probs, he will either fix it or I can take it as is.

Timing belt wasnt changed on time (its about 13k miles late), its a stick as well which I would have to learn and I would have to anti rust. I would probably tell him 4800 if you do the fixes or something?

He claims no accident, and says he checked it after first owner and I would run the vin/get it inspected

Anyone else thinking this is such a bad good idea that its good?

There is also this one but its about 10 hours away and modded but not so bad http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehicules-autos-et-camions-1998-Volvo-C70-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ334068740

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Volvo-C70-Coupe-a-Laval-W0QQAdIdZ319573750

Good: rare/famous color, never winter driven to his knowledge (bought it 3 years after original owner with no records and no snow tires which if it was winter driven snow tires are almost always included here) but its also low mileage

Negative: No service records, claims to only have gotten oil changes and had the alternator/head lamp switch replaced paid cash so no records.

Electric seat has some probs, he will either fix it or I can take it as is.

Timing belt wasnt changed on time (its about 13k miles late), its a stick as well which I would have to learn and I would have to anti rust. I would probably tell him 4800 if you do the fixes or something?

He claims no accident, and says he checked it after first owner and I would run the vin/get it inspected

Anyone else thinking this is such a bad good idea that its good?

There is also this one but its about 10 hours away and modded but not so bad http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehicules-autos-et-camions-1998-Volvo-C70-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ334068740

Stop! Your chariot awaits!

7270.jpg
[/img]

Since I got my new car I sure have been meeting a lot of people. A couple of weeks ago a slightly older gentleman in a 2001 GT struck up a conversation in a parking lot and at the muffler shop today the manager damn near talked my ear off and showed me some pics of another customer's 2012 Shelby GT 350 that was brought in to the shop.

This never happened when I was driving my Geo. :confused: