Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

That is exactly the point I'm trying to make. I don't have a problem with doing HIDs in the fog lights, since you don't have to turn those on when on the street. I have modified my fogs to fit an H8 bulb instead of the H11, but I never turn them on when there is other traffic around.
No matter the type of headlight if it was not made for HID it won't work with HID (properly) a very good example of it were the projector lights in my Audi, if you look at the factory HID ones vs the halogen projectors that my car had you can clearly see a difference in the way the projector is made. The size is different for one.

All HID lights come with autoleveling I believe that this is a requirement from DOT otherwise they are just too bright.
Am I correct in thinking the heated leather seats were an option on this model? If I buy one without them can they be easily found/retrofitted? I He would love them.
Check VWVortex they might have some info.

After doing some research, I've my heart set on a 1.8l Corrado, my Dad has his heart set on a 1.8l Corrado and has asked would I like to be a named driver.

Am I correct in thinking the heated leather seats were an option on this model? If I buy one without them can they be easily found/retrofitted? I He would love them.
Good luck, Dad looked at adding me to his insurance for the 1.9 Octavia, ?2000, as a named driver...

Also, Corrados are getting on now, expect problems...

In other news I am now officially a "guy with car" at work, I have managed to work out a system where people paying me to take them to and from work covers my weekly petrol costs! :D

Props to you captain.

Pretty nice idea , too bad im living on college campus :(

Good luck, Dad looked at adding me to his insurance for the 1.9 Octavia, ?2000, as a named driver...

In other news I am now officially a "guy with car" at work, I have managed to work out a system where people paying me to take them to and from work covers my weekly petrol costs! :D
LOL good job!

Nicely done!

I have to admit, it only works properly if I drive in an economical manner, but picking them up is directly on my route, so its all profit either way!

The Y-arse-is will do over 60mpg if I am sitting 50mph, problem is I tend to do 70mph, which is quite a lot for a 1 litre 3-cylinder! :lol:

I did a similar thing when "commuting" between Kiel and G?tersloh every week (375km one-way), though not with work colleagues. Depending on how many wanted to do the trip or part of it it either paid for some of the petrol or even made a profit. Plus, people to talk to :nod:
I believe the best single trip made me 60?ish, minus 40? for petrol equals lovely paid driving :lol:

Last edited:
Isn't that funny? The Audi had nowhere to put them but the Subaru does... I don't get it are sunglasses a new invention or something? Why so few cars have storage for them?
Small, glasses case shaped and sized hole by the left knee. You weren't looking hard enough.

You can see the top of it at the bottom of the pic:
https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2011/03/10/_ICE0389.jpg

Small, glasses case shaped and sized hole by the left knee.

The Octavia has a padded box there as well, additionally to the proper glasses-box on top of the dashboard... which is too small to hold my sunglasses, and pointless else for 20/20 vision. I use the knee-hole for short-term storage of my GPS though :)

Small, glasses case shaped and sized hole by the left knee. You weren't looking hard enough.

The Octavia has a padded box there as well, additionally to the proper glasses-box on top of the dashboard... which is too small to hold my sunglasses, and pointless else for 20/20 vision. I use the knee-hole for short-term storage of my GPS though :)

That sounds like a great place for a car charger or phone mount storage.

I did a similar thing when "commuting" between Kiel and G?tersloh every week (375km one-way), though not with work colleagues. Depending on how many wanted to do the trip or part of it it either paid for some of the petrol or even made a profit. Plus, people to talk to :nod:
I believe the best single trip made me 60?ish, minus 40? for petrol equals lovely paid driving :lol:

Mitfahrgelegenheit? Friend of mine used it sometimes when he was traveling around Germany and most of the time he actually made some profit on his way to holiday. Most of the time all the people were totally normal as well, which is always a bonus :D

I'm trying to find any rules from the US DOT about putting HID lights into halogen headlight housings - specifically faceted refractor-style housings that are on most cars today.

I'm in a bit of a discussion over on my XTerra board about this. I maintain that refractor headlights are designed to have a specific focal point and that changing this with an HID bulb causes increased scatter of the beam. I even posted this example from a Mazda 6:

Some of the guys still don't believe me. Even after this image, one said that it didn't matter because it wasn't an XTerra. I'm trying to find some official information from the DOT on this. I'm 90% sure that doing an HID swap is illegal in street vehicles unless you put them in a DOT-approved projector housing.

AFAIK, it's not illegal under the federal DOT rules. Individual states, however, have made laws about it. Maryland, for example, has banninated HID conversions unless the proper housing is used AND the housing was available from the manufacturer at the time of manufacture. This has stopped exactly nobody from doing it.

I do loathe HID conversions. A neighbor of mine has done it on his 2002 Accord. I can see why he says it's just like driving in the daylight.

My car didn't have it and believe me I would know I took that panel off more than a few times for various reasons. You need to get a new headlight switch.

My car didn't have it and believe me I would know I took that panel off more than a few times for various reasons. You need to get a new headlight switch.
The last time I posted that pic you commented that yours was much worse looking.

And yeah, it's on my list. Luckily it's the only thing showing signs of wear. Right now the white bits are painted over with a black marker.