Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Because that lime green is ugly as hell? Only cars that can pull of these kinds of colors are Lambos and some of the old school muscle everything else looks terrible and like you are trying too damn hard. Personally I agree with Henry Ford on this, any color as long as it's black. (Some exceptions like M3s look good in white).

The color in the ford.com builder seems really lime. When I saw it in person at the Detroit Auto Show it looked like this

I really hope the production one looks like that.

Looks better with those Boss stripes and black wheels, but the V6 or GT look quite bad with that color.

The more new Focus 5-door hatchbacks I see, the more I want one.

I think it looks a little odd, like a korean car of some sort. And it doesn't drive as well as the old (european) one (blame the electric power steering). Neither do I think it handles as well as your Civic.

The color in the ford.com builder seems really lime. When I saw it in person at the Detroit Auto Show it looked like this

I really hope the production one looks like that.

Gotta-Have-It-Green is really not a lime color, but almost a more pastel green. That Boss is what it should look like, and what I'd probably get the car in.

Looks better with those Boss stripes and black wheels, but the V6 or GT look quite bad with that color.
You can pretty much apply that thinking to most OTT coloured cars. If the wheels are still that bog stock silver that somehow became the norm, it really doesn't work.

Ok, I wasn't going to do this. But I need talking out of it.

MOT 20/06/12
Tax 31/05/12

Rear wheel bearing ?50-ish, can do that myself.
2 new tyres, what ?100?
No service history, so cambelt probably due.
Lets assume it needs a service, just the 8 spark plugs are ?65.
?60 round trip to get it

Good points, 155 BHP 2 litre.
Teledials
It's a fucking

Alfa.

146a4.jpg

146a2.jpg

146a1.jpg

146a3.jpg

There are worse ways to piss your money up the wall...

A certain Mustang owner here may disagree with you. :p

That's OK I'm driving a white car anyways :p
The more new Focus 5-door hatchbacks I see, the more I want one.
If only they had an AWD turbo version I would want one as well. Tis a nice looking car.
That's slightly better but I still don't think none Lambos can pull off green.

Last edited:
Are there a lot of mountains in Brooklyn, New York?
Not sure of the correlation...
There's bear mountain (I think) which is like 20 miles out of Brooklyn. Which is probably an 8 hour drive for him.
A bit more than 20 I think, it's an hour or so away. Better off going up to the Bronx really it starts getting hilly there.

I think it looks a little odd, like a korean car of some sort. And it doesn't drive as well as the old (european) one (blame the electric power steering). Neither do I think it handles as well as your Civic.
I didn't like the looks of it at first either, compared to the euro Focus, but it's a big step up from the NA Focus. It's been growing on me.

I love my Civic, but for the daily commute grind there are better options. It would be nice to get something that sips regular and gets near 40mpg with a bit more comfort than the Civic Si offers. But than again I really love the new RWD Toyota Subaru Scion thing. Decisions, decisions.

If only they had an AWD turbo version I would want one as well. Tis a nice looking car.
AWD is pointless around here. I'd rather they go really crazy and do a RWD turbo version, maybe team back up with Cosworth for it. Otherwise I would prefer a FWD with an LSD to an AWD version, unless Ford planned to do a really powerful RS version again.

Last edited:
AWD is pointless around here. I'd rather they go really crazy and do a RWD turbo version, maybe team back up with Cosworth for it. Otherwise I would prefer a FWD with an LSD to an AWD version, unless Ford planned to do a really powerful RS version again.
It's basically impossible to make RWD version of an FWD car, at least not the way that Focus is packaged. I hate FWD with a passion but aside from that decen power is terrible in FWD applications no matter how clever the diffs are.
Nope. There aren't any mountains in the Eastern U.S.
They are still called mountains but I agree it's more like really tall hills.

Another car has come up, this one is more reliable and has just over 180 BHP, it's also cheaper than the Alfa... and has an amazing party piece.

Back to the automagic, I was driving along and the instant fuel consumption with AC on was 53 MPG, AC off 65 MPG. Go fuck yourself air con.

I was just trying to figure out, why you would want an AWD Focus when you live in a relatively flat and urban area. (My earlier question was a failed attempt at sarcastic humour)

But I guess the answer is to be found here:

It's basically impossible to make RWD version of an FWD car, at least not the way that Focus is packaged. I hate FWD with a passion but aside from that decen power is terrible in FWD applications no matter how clever the diffs are.

I was just trying to figure out, why you would want an AWD Focus when you live in a relatively flat and urban area. (My earlier question was a failed attempt at sarcastic humour)

But I guess the answer is to be found here:

Yep that was the answer. I honestly don't get why they are not making one, currently you only have Evo and STi, they could provide a 3rd choice with a better looking car to boot. Not to mention that there is still the Golf R that is somewhat upmarket. Hell they are not even doing a high powered FWD it looks like so they don't have a GTI/MS3/Si fighter, which makes even less sense IMO.

On a completely unrelated note, slow people in go karts need to be shot in the face. I was at a fast kart place (40mph gas karts at GPNY) over the weekend and I'm still steaming over some idiot who was doing like 5mph for the ENTIRE frigging race and sticking to the inside of the corners. I lapped him like 5 times.... It was annoying because the races are timed and stewards are supposed to tell slower karts to move over (since there are no rear view mirrors) but they were too busy black flagging people for crashing into someone who spun out... It's a frigging race people, if I'm on someone's tail and they spin out there is no frigging time to brake in that thing I WILL make contact DEAL WITH IT!

Last edited:
Back to the automagic, I was driving along and the instant fuel consumption with AC on was 53 MPG, AC off 65 MPG. Go fuck yourself air con.

Air conditioning has sucked away fuel economy since its introduction. This isn't new.

They are still called mountains but I agree it's more like really tall hills.
So has to be over 10k feet to qualify or something?