Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Only the first year (i think) of the P1800 was made in England. Those bodies leaked about as much as a sieve. Then they were made in Sweden and got the prefix "S" in the name. After that, they actually managed to hold the rain out.

Only the first year (i think) of the P1800 was made in England. Those bodies leaked about as much as a sieve. Then they were made in Sweden and got the prefix "S" in the name. After that, they actually managed to hold the rain out.

I had a friend who collected P1800s. They all leaked, according to him. :p

The hits just keep coming. I just found out the guy who told me he had a matching rim to my set didn't read my Want To Buy thread and missed the bit about it being an alloy. I have no idea how he ended up with a top end Off Road package with steel wheels.

The hits just keep coming. I just found out the guy who told me he had a matching rim to my set didn't read my Want To Buy thread and missed the bit about it being an alloy. I have no idea how he ended up with a top end Off Road package with steel wheels.

Some offroaders demand that steel wheels be fitted instead of alloys, believing that the fact that steel wheels bend instead of cracking or shattering means that they could get back to civilization if the encounter several large rocks at the wrong time. There's some validity to this point of view - but chances are if you damage two wheels so bad you're losing air you're screwed anyway, so... :p

As for the hits, an email I have gotten this morning seems to indicate that I might be able to do something about that. It seems your Off Road Package wheels were also shipped as stock wheels on some 2004-2005 Frontiers and were wider spread on the 06-up trucks, among others. A quick eBay search later and guess what?

$(KGrHqZHJCwE8ff78TS1BPPwv)vl4w~~60_58.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-FRON...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c25978d49&vxp=mtr

Look familiar? :D

Last edited:
New old door and front panel can be picked up. Interesting to see if they're as good as the seller said.

They are. No need for rust fixes, the door came with all the fittings that will be transferred to the other replacement door and sold on as a package. Front panel is rust free and straight, very good. Now to schedule the assembly.

Saw my first Chevy Orlando in person today. Was that car designed for midgets and people with no legs? Whoever thought that putting 7 seats in a Cruze was a good idea is a moron. Never have I seen something more cramped inside.

You drive a Volvo.

Volvo is (next to sitting in the passenger's seat) the nearest equivalent to letting the car drive itself. Which raises the question.. have you ever driven another type of car? :p

There hasn't been a Volvo that even vaguely fits the descriptor "a blast to drive" since the P1800, IMHO. :p :mrgreen:

That's like saying that old muscle cars are not a blast to drive just because they don't handle well. Say what you want about Volvos, but I think 0-60 in 6.5 is kind of exciting, as well as rolling starts and 40-80mph runs. All while sitting in full comfort.

I once drove a friend's Boxster and yes - it did feel a lot better in the corners, but on the straights it didn't feel a whole lot faster than my car.

YO' SUV AIN'T WORTH SHIT!

Yarissnow.jpg

God knows how people struggle in the snow in this country. If I can manage to tackle several miles of countryside B-road and the single lane track to a farm in a underpowered, fwd hatchback with all season tyres how is it possible for 4x4 owners to get stuck in the middle of the fucking motorway...

God knows how people struggle in the snow in this country. If I can manage to tackle several miles of countryside B-road and the single lane track to a farm in a underpowered, fwd hatchback with all season tyres how is it possible for 4x4 owners to get stuck in the middle of the fucking motorway...

Skinny tires is one reason you made it with no problems. Weight is another.

I know what you mean though, on one occassion only two people made it in to the office, including myself. Both of us had RWD vehicles :D

That's like saying that old muscle cars are not a blast to drive just because they don't handle well. Say what you want about Volvos, but I think 0-60 in 6.5 is kind of exciting, as well as rolling starts and 40-80mph runs. All while sitting in full comfort.

I once drove a friend's Boxster and yes - it did feel a lot better in the corners, but on the straights it didn't feel a whole lot faster than my car.

1. That isn't full comfort, trust me.
2. That would be because the original Boxster no-S is a slow overpriced expensive pile of junk. It was clocked at 6.5 for 0-60. Even Porsche fans admit the standard Boxster was slower than pretty much every contemporary at or above the same price point.

This is why putting 911 engines in Boxsters is so extremely popular. :p

Last edited:

You can do that in a Camry these days.....

You can do that in a Camry these days.....

Worse, that's what the Old Person Transport Avalon does 0-60 in. :p

What exactly is your point here? Last I checked, 6.5 seconds is still considered pretty quick (especially by European standards). So what that a Camry/Avalon can do that? More power to them I say. It's still faster than a Golf GTI, 4th Gen Mustang GT, and a 5th Gen Mustang V6.

And while we're all piling on _HighVoltage_, :clarkson: You bought the wrong Swede!