Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Even stainless will eventually corrode through. Just a matter of how long.

So in my quest to become financially sound, I have stumbled upon an interesting decision. Tomorrow I will be looking at these three cars, all of which are being sold for $700:

82 Volvo 242 w/ 4 speed manual
88 Volvo 240 DL (244) w/ autobox, needs U joint replaced
90 Volvo 240 DL (244) w/ autobox

If the cars aren't in too rough shape, I hope by Sunday afternoon to be posting pictures of a Volvo 242, or in the very least the '90 240DL. I wish I could buy all three and work on them, but I have neither the money nor the space for them.

Otherwise, there's a 760 GL for $600 nearby with electrical problems that sound eirely enough to what I experienced in my 740. Which means it's simple and easy to fix.

Not sure about the 760. But definitely check out the 242 with the 4 speed. I plan to own one some day. Turbocharged and with the famous flat hood.

So in my quest to become financially sound, I have stumbled upon an interesting decision. Tomorrow I will be looking at these three cars, all of which are being sold for $700:

82 Volvo 242 w/ 4 speed manual
88 Volvo 240 DL (244) w/ autobox, needs U joint replaced
90 Volvo 240 DL (244) w/ autobox

If the cars aren't in too rough shape, I hope by Sunday afternoon to be posting pictures of a Volvo 242, or in the very least the '90 240DL. I wish I could buy all three and work on them, but I have neither the money nor the space for them.

Otherwise, there's a 760 GL for $600 nearby with electrical problems that sound eirely enough to what I experienced in my 740. Which means it's simple and easy to fix.

My biggest concern would be rust and reliability. A car that old and the saltine winters there could have taken toll.

i'd look at the 240's past 1986, i think it's actually '88, where the 240's became galvanized, so less rust to worry about.
the 760... the older 6 cyls from Volvo are horrible, they're some bad PRV engines, i think it's the same 2.7 that's in the DeLorean in the 760 if i'm not mistaken, unless it's a Turbo, where it's got a B230FT i think, a 4 cyl turbo.
If going for a 6cyl Volvo, go for the newer 960, which has a 2.5 and a 3.0 I6, in place of the PRV V6.

Older Volvo parts are cheap, at least here in Europe, even from the dealership, or junkyards got loads of parts too, older RWD Volvos are very decent for cheap reliable cars.

My biggest concern would be rust and reliability. A car that old and the saltine winters there could have taken toll.

That is one of the huge things that is going to be make or break for me. The guy told me on the phone he used the 242 as his "winter car", which made me cringe, and may already be a deal killer. As much as I'd love a 242, it'd be hard to stomach a rusted frame/underbody. The 90 240 looks clean enough that it may be passable, but I'll have to run her through a test drive first. The 88 with the bad U-joint is right out for me at this time.

Haven't talked to the 760 seller, I'm going to look at the 200s first.

240's aren't that horrible with rust, and most often it's cheap parts that will rust.

in the rear on the 240, there's a little bridge of sorts that holds up the dampers and springs, one on each side, it's a smart thing to take a peek at that.
image.php

If a wagon, check the backdoor, lower part might rust.

But also the wheel arches obviously :p

I officially own the crummiest car in my office and possibly the whole bloody building. :cry:

Hopefully, if nothing else goes wrong, I will have the financial means to replace it by the end of the summer.
I'm looking at maybe either a Focus hatch or a Jetta diesel, but I'll have to see how things go.

I'm open to suggestions as well...

I officially own the crummiest car in my office and possibly the whole bloody building. :cry:

Hopefully, if nothing else goes wrong, I will have the financial means to replace it by the end of the summer.
I'm looking at maybe either a Focus hatch or a Jetta diesel, but I'll have to see how things go.

I'm open to suggestions as well...

You have a Cavalier? Ouch. Well, the great thing about hitting rock bottom is you can only move up. :p

Why is it, that when an in-tank fuel pump dies, it never dies on an empty tank? That would make things so easy, but nooooo, it has to die with seventy frickin' litres of gas in it. :lol:

/bring out the jerry cans

240's aren't that horrible with rust, and most often it's cheap parts that will rust.

They are certainly better than old Saabs.

On an unrelated note. I went for a short run this evening and withing a short time slot of 5 minutes a red NSX drove by me, followed by a Saffron V70R.

Why is it, that when an in-tank fuel pump dies, it never dies on an empty tank? That would make things so easy, but nooooo, it has to die with seventy frickin' litres of gas in it. :lol:

/bring out the jerry cans

Had a similar experience recently, mitsu was running on fumes when we stopped at the crummiest Texaco in the world we 3/4 of the tank instead of just tossing a gallon there and going to the regular gas station.

I don't think they filled it with gas so much as a combination of kerosene, bud light and piss. valves started clattering until it sounded I was rolling with a diesel. Some cleaning and additive mixed with proper gas fixed the problem.

Is it cost effective to go stainless steel exhaust or aluminized that eventually rusts in 10 years time?

let me put it to you this way: I cut the SS exhaust off the racing Vic last weekend. It surface rusted, but was still a good .120 thick in the walls. 1999=>2007 it was in miswestern police service.

SS effectively lasts forever.

I don't know how they do things in Norway, but in Ohio they heavily use salt during the winter to deice the roads.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two movies that predicted/depicted this - The Fifth Element and Demolition Man. Soon we will all have printers in our cars issuing us tickets as we drive along.

You mean they just take the money straight from your account and print you a receipt for the transaction. :p "Thank you for using the automotive speed protection service". Yeah you'd better be protected from my bonnet as you go flying over it. :ninja: